Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs - Missed playoffs 10 of the last 11 NHL seasons
Arizona Coyotes - Missed playoffs 9 of the last 13 NHL seasons
Winnipeg Jets - Missed playoffs 14 of the last 16 NHL seasons
Columbus Blue Jackets - Missed playoffs 13 of the last 15 NHL seasons
Carolina Hurricanes - Missed playoffs 7 of the last 7 NHL seasons
New York Islanders - Missed playoffs 8 of the last 11 NHL seasons

I honestly cannot figure out why these teams have deep prospect pools. It's such a puzzle. Must be their progressive management.
Gold.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Does anybody know what Corey Pronman has the Canuck prospects ranked as?

I know he has Boeser at 40 which is pretty damn low.

I don't know what Juolevi is ranked at.

Demko didn't even make the top 5 in goalies :facepalm:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes North Dakota is the Harvard of the mid West. Obviously Boeser choose this school for academics. ND is a hockey school that is the only reason to go there over dozens of other choices. It is located in the Newfoundland of the USA. His choice of this school tells you all you need to know about his ambitions going forward. He wants to be a pro hockey player period. Vessel went to Harvard and was a 3rd round pick and speaks Chinese for fun. Different people totally different situation.

There are 2,500 public and private 4 yr colleges in the U.S. UND ranks in the top 100 to 200 depending upon which field of study one undertakes. Poo-poo it all you want, but that's not exactly a slouch university. That piece of paper comes in very handy in one's future no matter what endeavor they first undertake and the UND diploma won't get scoffed at.

Boeser's mom was big on his getting an education to fall back on if hockey fails him. Supposedly that was a reason, among others, that he decided to go back for year #2. Catastrophic injuries or at least career ending are always possible. The average career length of an NHL player is 5.5 years and that average is arrived at including the top notch guys who are around for a decade or more. The Jagr story is a real anomaly. The majority of NHL players leave the game with no future in front of them and the number that are financially secure for life surprisingly isn't that high once you pass the top 6-9 on each team. Taxes eat huge chunks which hurts the guy in the lower salary echelon. Big city living is expensive. Pro athletes are famous for squandering income early.

I never said he wouldn't come out. However, the Vesey route is starting to take hold in the minds of top NCAA recruits who have been drafted by bottom feeders or teams in locales unfavorable to the player by his choice. Once they see how it's benefited others of their ilk, it will become more common. It has too. The less academically inclined guys will come out before they flunk out. The smarter guys will be building futures in many directions at the same time. It's not exactly stupid when the NHL has created the open door.There are no penalties for going on the hunt for the best offer.

Vancouver is likely to be far from a contender for some time. If he can get a shot with a team he sees a better future with, I could see him pull the plug and head elsewhere. He is in the driver's seat. He can just extend his decision 3 more times. He can base his final choice on the status he holds at the end of his college career. If he's hot, he'll have other options. If not, Vancouver is right there. Then again he could sign before this pro season ends.

I certainly hope he chooses to be a Canuck, but failure to even see the possibility otherwise is silly. The good college players are starting to become risky selections.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The argument isn't which NHL franchise is next to the cup. The article expresses an opinion of which team has the deepest and most elite prospect pool. It doesn't go on to predict that team's future. They could fall flat on their faces. However, from a simple standpoint of drafted player prospects in house, at the moment Toronto has the best group and by far the deepest. How they got there and where they will go from here is immaterial. On the other hand most franchises would welcome that crew into their own embraces in a heartbeat.

Why can't it be accepted that this group is #1? Do you honestly want to say Vancouver's pool is anywhere near as deep ranked at #13? Are you saying they don't have a franchise guy or 2 or even 3 in that group along with a possible top-10 league talent? Are you saying the Canucks have any labeled franchise players in their pool outside of an HF fan? I see real good Vancouver prospects, but not many and none of that top elite echelon they still need to find if any shot at a Stanley Cup is to ever happen again.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver

Juolevi at 14, Boeser at 40. That's it (Demko at 6 for goalies).

Tkachuk at 9, Forsling at 66, and Shinkaruk at 96. :naughty:

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
The argument isn't which NHL franchise is next to the cup. The article expresses an opinion of which team has the deepest and most elite prospect pool. It doesn't go on to predict that team's future. They could fall flat on their faces. However, from a simple standpoint of drafted player prospects in house, at the moment Toronto has the best group and by far the deepest. How they got there and where they will go from here is immaterial. On the other hand most franchises would welcome that crew into their own embraces in a heartbeat.

Why can't it be accepted that this group is #1? Do you honestly want to say Vancouver's pool is anywhere near as deep ranked at #13? Are you saying they don't have a franchise guy or 2 or even 3 in that group along with a possible top-10 league talent? Are you saying the Canucks have any labeled franchise players in their pool outside of an HF fan? I see real good Vancouver prospects, but not many and none of that top elite echelon they still need to find if any shot at a Stanley Cup is to ever happen again.

Who are you debating with?

As to the bolded..."how they got there" is hardly immaterial. They got there by accumulating young assets through a decade of near-bottom finishes. Any team NOT boasting a stable thick with prospects after that long a run of futility would have some hard questions to answer.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Who are you debating with?

As to the bolded..."how they got there" is hardly immaterial. They got there by accumulating young assets through a decade of near-bottom finishes. Any team NOT boasting a stable thick with prospects after that long a run of futility would have some hard questions to answer.

Honestly, though, a couple of those teams have been in this position until somewhat recently.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

14. Juolevi

One of the best defensemen in the CHL this season, Juolevi also recorded the highest point totals ever by an under 18 defenseman at the WJC. Juolevi is a fantastic skater; he exerts very little effort to get up to a dangerous top gear and moves well in all directions. His puck movement is high end, as he shows calmness, skill and elite hockey sense when he has the puck on his stick. He's able to quarterback a power play with the best of them, on top of creating dangerous chances in transition. He could stand to bulk up a bit, as he has a bit of a beanpole frame.

40. Boeser

Boeser had a fantastic season and was one of the top players in the country, though he was mediocre at the WJC. He's a strong power winger with an above-average skill level and great all-around hockey IQ. His shot is elite, and when he gets a chance to wind up for a one-timer from any distance, it is a dangerous scoring chance. "He plays so well in the tight area of the rink," one NHL scout said. "He wins a battle, makes a play without much time and gets his shot off quick." Boeser's main issue is his skating, as he doesn't generate a ton of power in his stride.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Toronto's management gets a lot of credit for just being lucky. How smart would they be if they hadn't gotten the 1st overall pick? How smart would we be if we had got Mathews?

They would have still got Laine, Pulu or Dubois. Not as good as Matthews (maybe Laine) but still a very solid piece to add to their prospect pool. They had a decent probability of getting either of the first two picks as well.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Teams obsessed with making the playoffs and not rebuilding fail to rebuild, keep missing the playoffs. That could be us in 5 years. Only made the playoffs ounce out of the least three seasons and look primed to make it 1 out of 4 with no sedin replacements in sight yet. We are odds on to be 1 out of 5 by the time the sedins current contract ends in two years, at which point they might rebuild which could add another 3+ years to that, 1 for 8-10 doesn't look unrealistic the way things are going.

If we are "lucky" we might get to be a playoff doormat like phoenix a few times.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Why can't we wait until after the Sedins are gone to have their replacements? That will take care of itself won't it?

The Sedins are the two best forwards on the team and for years have been among the league's elite players. There are no such players currently developing on the Canucks nor on the farm. They have good prospects, but none of the elite level that every successful playoff contender has. Where do these two elite guys suddenly come from when the Twins retire?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the predictions of the optimists turn out to be correct and the Canucks end up with say the 10th or worse middling draft picks as a result of their improved play over the next couple seasons. This makes the question of where these two elite forwards, of whom at least one has to be the franchise type player, come from. Most people agree that these types don't get traded for but are acquired through the draft, a la Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Giroux, McDavid, Mathews, etc. There are no Canucks on the horizon of this ilk.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why can't we wait until after the Sedins are gone to have their replacements? That will take care of itself won't it?

Because that's a terrible way to manage a professional sports team. Especially one that's already one of the worst teams in hockey. Why do you want to continue sitting around at the bottom while they're here, and then prolong our time at the bottom to get their replacements after they're gone? That's like saying "why can't we wait 8 years to rebuild instead of doing it in 4?"

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There are 2,500 public and private 4 yr colleges in the U.S. UND ranks in the top 100 to 200 depending upon which field of study one undertakes. Poo-poo it all you want, but that's not exactly a slouch university. That piece of paper comes in very handy in one's future no matter what endeavor they first undertake and the UND diploma won't get scoffed at.

Boeser's mom was big on his getting an education to fall back on if hockey fails him. Supposedly that was a reason, among others, that he decided to go back for year #2. Catastrophic injuries or at least career ending are always possible. The average career length of an NHL player is 5.5 years and that average is arrived at including the top notch guys who are around for a decade or more. The Jagr story is a real anomaly. The majority of NHL players leave the game with no future in front of them and the number that are financially secure for life surprisingly isn't that high once you pass the top 6-9 on each team. Taxes eat huge chunks which hurts the guy in the lower salary echelon. Big city living is expensive. Pro athletes are famous for squandering income early.

I never said he wouldn't come out. However, the Vesey route is starting to take hold in the minds of top NCAA recruits who have been drafted by bottom feeders or teams in locales unfavorable to the player by his choice. Once they see how it's benefited others of their ilk, it will become more common. It has too. The less academically inclined guys will come out before they flunk out. The smarter guys will be building futures in many directions at the same time. It's not exactly stupid when the NHL has created the open door.There are no penalties for going on the hunt for the best offer.

Vancouver is likely to be far from a contender for some time. If he can get a shot with a team he sees a better future with, I could see him pull the plug and head elsewhere. He is in the driver's seat. He can just extend his decision 3 more times. He can base his final choice on the status he holds at the end of his college career. If he's hot, he'll have other options. If not, Vancouver is right there. Then again he could sign before this pro season ends.

I certainly hope he chooses to be a Canuck, but failure to even see the possibility otherwise is silly. The good college players are starting to become risky selections.

The only good news is that Boeser is almost guaranteed a steady job with the Canucks if he signs next year. They would be insane not to offer him every bonus they can, and promise him that he will not be sent down while on his ELC. He's old enough to step into the pros next year. So we have to live with a 20 yr old who has been fast tracked a little, for a 3rd worse team in the nHL thats just fine.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
The Sedins are the two best forwards on the team and for years have been among the league's elite players. There are no such players currently developing on the Canucks nor on the farm. They have good prospects, but none of the elite level that every successful playoff contender has. Where do these two elite guys suddenly come from when the Twins retire?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the predictions of the optimists turn out to be correct and the Canucks end up with say the 10th or worse middling draft picks as a result of their improved play over the next couple seasons. This makes the question of where these two elite forwards, of whom at least one has to be the franchise type player, come from. Most people agree that these types don't get traded for but are acquired through the draft, a la Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Giroux, McDavid, Mathews, etc. There are no Canucks on the horizon of this ilk.

The draft. Those hoping for a seamless transition are not being realistic. How many teams have been able to smoothly transition between two sets of superstar franchise players?

Because that's a terrible way to manage a professional sports team. Especially one that's already one of the worst teams in hockey. Why do you want to continue sitting around at the bottom while they're here, and then prolong our time at the bottom to get their replacements after they're gone? That's like saying "why can't we wait 8 years to rebuild instead of doing it in 4?"

You can't just drop a nuke on someone's property then start building his/her new house the next day.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The draft. Those hoping for a seamless transition are not being realistic. How many teams have been able to smoothly transition between two sets of superstar franchise players?

You can't just drop a nuke on someone's property then start building his/her new house the next day.

Has nothing to do with this. This is a bad team already even with the Sedins (6th worst in the NHL three seasons ago, third worst last year).

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Has nothing to do with this. This is a bad team already even with the Sedins (6th worst in the NHL three seasons ago, third worst last year).

Inaccurate. This team is a bubble team with the Sedins. Without tank commanders Weber and Bartkowski I can't see another bottom 5 finish until the Sedins retire barring catastrophic injury problems.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Inaccurate. This team is a bubble team with the Sedins. Without tank commanders Weber and Bartkowski I can't see another bottom 5 finish until the Sedins retire barring catastrophic injury problems.

No it's not inaccurate. This team had the Sedins on the team last year. This team was the 3rd worst team in hockey. That's accurate. You can have an opinion, but I'll take facts over your opinion. In FACT: the team has two bottom 6 finishes in the past 3 seasons, WITH the Sedins. So no, your statement is inaccurate.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
No it's not inaccurate. This team had the Sedins on the team last year. This team was the 3rd worst team in hockey. That's accurate. You can have an opinion, but I'll take facts over your opinion. In FACT: the team has two bottom 6 finishes in the past 3 seasons, WITH the Sedins. So no, your statement is inaccurate.

In FACT: Those teams don't exist anymore.

This 2016-17 Canucks team has improved to the status of bubble team. If they overachieve they could squeak into the playoffs. If they underachieve they could finish in the bottom 5-10.

I will let reality prove you wrong just like it did when you said the Sedins would never be 1st liners.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

This 2016-17 Canucks team has improved to the status of bubble team. If they overachieve they could squeak into the playoffs. If they underachieve they could finish in the bottom 5-10.

I will let reality prove you wrong just like it did when you said the Sedins would never be 1st liners.

I disagree. And have explained the reasons why I disagree in the appropriate threads. But again, you were saying that the Canucks can't rebuild while the Sedins are here, and history has proven you wrong based on the Canucks record in 2 of the past 3 seasons.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Weighing in at risk of great peril....

A lot has to go right for them to make the playoffs:

-Most of the youth would have to take significant steps: Horvat, Hutton, Virtanen, Baertschi, Tryamkin

-Gudbranson will need to show he's a legit top 4 (meaning Sbisa's minutes will be reduced significantly)

-The play of the Sedins and Burrows can't take a nosedive.

-Eriksson has to be a 25+ goal scorer.

-Rodin and Larsen have to show they can play in the show.

-The team (e.g. Sutter, Hansen, Edler, Tanev) has to stay healthy.

-Markstrom has to show he's a legit starter.

While I'm in the camp that they will be better (perhaps even a lot better) than last year. That's a lot of things that need to go right.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Good information about ND education. The rest is just the regular pointing out a very unlikely scenario for no real reason but except to perhaps dampen excitement? I do not know about the smart guy vs the less academically inclined framework. Vessel was a third round pick who was aware that he was not guaranteed a Nhl career Boeser and other first round picks are more likely to see the Nhl close by and focus on that goal. There is no school path to get a multi million dollar a year job. Lastly though you will get arguements from others, Vancouver is a world class city not many who spend time here will be trying to avoid it.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Good information about ND education. The rest is just the regular pointing out a very unlikely scenario for no real reason but except to perhaps dampen excitement? I do not know about the smart guy vs the less academically inclined framework. Vessel was a third round pick who was aware that he was not guaranteed a Nhl career Boeser and other first round picks are more likely to see the Nhl close by and focus on that goal. There is no school path to get a multi million dollar a year job. Lastly though you will get arguements from others, Vancouver is a world class city not many who spend time here will be trying to avoid it.

Boeser, for whatever reason, obviously chose not to go to the U of M, in whose backyard he grew up
(I'm from the Twin Cities originally), and he chose Wisconsin first, but later re-committed to North Dakota.
However good a school UND may be academically, it cannot hold a candle to Wisconsin Madison,
or even to the University of Minnesota. My aim isn't to trash UND, but to point out that non-academic factors,
likely the excellence of the hockey program, were paramount in Boeser's final choice of school.

Like BG I'm certain that Boeser isn't going to go the Vesey / McNally route (bloody Harvard dorks :)).
He's in a hockey-factory school, he's a big NCAA star already, and he knows the plan is for him to
begin earning the big bucks after this next season is over. He's spoken openly about that. But BG
is right that others may opt to wait out their four years with increasing frequency.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Again I repeat that I am not saying he won't report. I was merely pointing out #1, that his mom is ultra concerned about his education and,#2, there are college guys like Vesey who are starting a trend of going all 4 years, weighing their current status at graduation with the help of the dread agents, and then deciding to go with the drafted team or go the free agent route where the grass is greenest to them.

As to the city of Vancouver, I never stated he wouldn't like it nor that it's not a wonderful city. It is an expensive place to live like most of the other NHL cities. It is, however, the proximity to home that concerns many of these guys. Couple that with the fact that tax rates in Canada are more costly to them than US cities. A lot of these college kids are smart and map out their future financially as well as hockey. They won't be hockey players forever and life after hockey is also part of the plan. Thus, the more they make and the less they give back to governments the better their futures stack up.

See, it's September and the arguments here are becoming stale and over heated. I just decided to talk about something different. "Talk About", that's all. Not starting anything or creating any trouble. Just a simple idea based on a plan of action we are seeing take place around the league. Vesey isn't the first and more will follow and it seems to be based mostly on where they were drafted vs. where else they may find more desirable. Vesey didn't want to go to Nashville. It's not his world. NYC is more to his liking. Also, $$$$ to be made there off the ice is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain