Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Let me just reorganize what you just posted:

The Canucks signed Stew Mac to an ELC because his WHL team doesn't want to keep him.

Right. That's a compelling reason to hand out a 6 figure contract.

I didn't say it was a good reason. But aside from that I can't think of a reason they would do it.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Speaking of Mallet I wonder if any of uticas scouts are eyeing him up. I saw he was doing well earlier on in the KZoo and he might be a better option than Kurtz for the enforcer who can chip n chase role

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Speaking of Mallet I wonder if any of uticas scouts are eyeing him up. I saw he was doing well earlier on in the KZoo and he might be a better option than Kurtz for the enforcer who can chip n chase role

Hey, come on now. Kurtz scored his first goal as a Comet this afternoon. LOL

Seriously, I've already seen more than I ever want to see again from Mallet.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Hey, come on now. Kurtz scored his first goal as a Comet this afternoon. LOL

Seriously, I've already seen more than I ever want to see again from Mallet.

Lool I know, but if you have the chance you should look to improve the team. Having a vet who counts towards the veteran player cap should be reserved for top end AHLers IMO.

The role is totally negligible though and I'm fine either way

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mallet might be one of those late, late bloomers....after all, look what they've done with Grenier.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Read the last page. :laugh: This management gave an ELC to a player that isn't even good enough for the ECHL.

Stanely cup permanently unattinable level mistake.

Just for reference though i think we only have 47 contracts so it isnt a big deal.

As well benning prob signed him as 4th line big body to smash as our team is pretty soft.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Read the last page. :laugh: This management gave an ELC to a player that isn't even good enough for the ECHL.

a player that needed to be traded in the whl as an overager to get a spot because his original team doesnt want him

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Stanely cup permanently unattinable level mistake.

Just for reference though i think we only have 47 contracts so it isnt a big deal.

As well benning prob signed him as 4th line big body to smash as our team is pretty soft.

Yeah, well we could have 46 contracts slots used up, if not for signing a player that isn't even wanted by his WHL team. How can this be justifiable?

Benning signed him as a 4th line big body? He's not even ECHL level...what did he do to prove to Benning he deserved an ELC? This isn't justifiable.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
a player that needed to be traded in the whl as an overager to get a spot because his original team doesnt want him

Probably for good reason - there are better overagers to have on your roster than a plug. I'm honesty convinced Benning gave him an ELC so it could be a 'feel good story'.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm surprised any team wants him, to be honest. Tri-City has 3 overagers who are miles better, but they aren't a very good team so will probably be trading some of those guys to contending teams for futures in the next week or so, which would open a spot for Stewart.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm surprised any team wants him, to be honest. Tri-City has 3 overagers who are miles better, but they aren't a very good team so will probably be trading some of those guys to contending teams for futures in the next week or so, which would open a spot for Stewart.

Probably just a favour to the Canucks, or if they are rebuilding I can see the logic having some toughness there. Either way, good that the kid gets to play and I'll leave the situation at that.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Sun Dec 27

ECHL

Kalamazoo 7 Wheeling 4
Blomstrand 0 points, -2
Cederholm did not play
Fox 1 goal (9th), 3 assists, +4 (selected 2nd star)
McEneny on IR

S_C

Cederholm didn't play ? Is he injured, or is he another...not even echl good ?
Considering our D problems, kind of surprising he hasn't been moved up or anything...unless that's why he didn't play

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Cederholm didn't play ? Is he injured, or is he another...not even echl good ?
Considering our D problems, kind of surprising he hasn't been moved up or anything...unless that's why he didn't play

wouldnt really worked up about it
pretty sure i recall this was their latter of back to back games
and pretty sure he was playing almost every game since
wouldnt really worry about him....
not sure what happened though, maybe recalled to Utica due to Sautner?/?/ :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I had suggested in preseason that an experiment of this type needed to take place in the ECHL. This wasn't a 1st rounder in Gaunce moving from center to left wing. We were talking about a kid who wasn't even on the draft radar of anyone, who was going to be tried at left wing.

He was kept on the Utica roster over 2 guys who were top scorers in Kalamazoo a year prior, Blomstrand and Fox. He was played intermittently in 4 games and was obviously in way over his head.

He was sent to the Zoo and after being played on and off for, I believe, another 4 games, the Zoo staff concluded he was so bad they didn't even want him at all! Thus, he was returned to Utica where he participated in every scheduled Comets practice.

The icing on this cake occurred December 18th, a week ago this past Friday, when the Comets lineup was devastated by injury and call-ups and they dressed an injured 7th D-man, Sautner, with no intentions of playing him in order to ice an 18 man roster. Stewart did not dress.

My assumption is they have been trying to find a Jr. team to accept him as an over ager since the day he was sent back to Utica by Kalamazoo. This was a noble gesture from Benning, but it's not looking very likely to succeed at the moment. Let's see what happens with him in Tri City.

Lol, just lol. There are no words for Benning anymore.

I didn't even know someone like Stewart could play in the dub, even as an overager.i mean he's technically a professional now. At least he can treat the kids on his team to dinner.

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
Mallet might be one of those late, late bloomers....after all, look what they've done with Grenier.

Grenier is 24, has scored about 0.5 ppg in the minors for the last three seasons and will almost certainly never be an NHL regular. Then again, maybe both sentences of your post are intended as sarcasm?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lol, just lol. There are no words for Benning anymore.

I didn't even know someone like Stewart could play in the dub, even as an overager.i mean he's technically a professional now. At least he can treat the kids on his team to dinner.

It's pretty ****ed up that we signed a kid that is so bad no junior team or ECHL team will take him.
I mean at the end of the day, it's a minor thing, but these kinda stupid **** shouldn't happen in a well managed organization. What a joke.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
It's pretty ****ed up that we signed a kid that is so bad no junior team or ECHL team will take him.
I mean at the end of the day, it's a minor thing, but these kinda stupid **** shouldn't happen in a well managed organization. What a joke.

Pretty much. That it was entirely predicted by the majority of this board is just extra. That's the tragedy of Benning. Every poor thing that's happened was completely predicted by amateurs who have followed this team closely,and somehow surprising to the professional millionaires in charge.

It's a minor thing but it offers major insight into the way management thinks and it is exceptionally alarming. To have any faith in this group when they show this kind of player evaluation and decision making takes some seriously spiked koolaid.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pretty much. That it was entirely predicted by the majority of this board is just extra. That's the tragedy of Benning. Every poor thing that's happened was completely predicted by amateurs who have followed this team closely,and somehow surprising to the professional millionaires in charge.

It's a minor thing but it offers major insight into the way management thinks and it is exceptionally alarming. To have any faith in this group when they show this kind of player evaluation and decision making takes some seriously spiked koolaid.

Yup. In the small picture, it isn't that big of a deal. Wasted 7th rounder and a wasted contract slot.

But as a scouting failure, it's almost beyond belief. Literally everyone who follows the WHL saw this coming a mile away, and anyone who follows draft trends in any way could have predicted this as well. It was just so bloody obvious that this would happen, and it would be comical right now if it wasn't so sad.

And people who make these sorts of comically stupid errors on one hand don't make great moves to build championship teams on the other. If your local auto mechanic can't figure out how to change a tire or do an oil change, he probably isn't going to be able to rebuild an engine with any degree of ability.

When your GM is dumber than your casual fans, you have a problem.

And you really do have to feel a bit sorry for Stewart. Making the WHL with his background should have been a nice success story and that should have been the end of it, but instead he's going to be the butt of jokes for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad