Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Occam's Razor.

Which is more likely - that Hutton and McCann were sub-par AHL players in April (worse than their peers who joined the AHL late in the season) but somehow had a miraculous summer where they turned into NHL players, or that they were (like all those other high draft picks) good enough to help in Utica but a coach decided to stick with 'his guys' at the expense of development?

The notion that every other 2014 #1 pick was good enough to help their team significantly late in the AHL season except for McCann is laughable. Especially when McCann was better than most of them next time a puck was dropped.
Yes you gotta wonder what the Hell Lorne Henning and Travis Green were thinking?

Not sure I've seen a lower Coaching and Management get so much respect from upper management that they would defer to their best interests and decisions over the Canucks best interests.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It would be irresponsible not to sign him
How much would you sign him for and keep in mind he's gonna want a one-way deal.

I want him to come over too but it's entirely likely he busts at NHL hockey. I love his speed though and I really want a faster team so I would give it a shot. I seem to remember a feisty player as well.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Is it possible to sign Rodin with an "out clause" if he doesn't make the team out of camp or is sent down during next season?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but Mackenze Stewart's jr rights have been traded to Tri-City. Should be sent there within 2 weeks.

Sounds like they are going to let him play LW. Good for him, though you really have to question why the Canucks have done such a terrible job getting him game action this year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sounds like they are going to let him play LW. Good for him, though you really have to question why the Canucks have done such a terrible job getting him game action this year.

he really stinks and is bad

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

What is clueless and inept management for $200 Alex.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What is clueless and inept management for $200 Alex.

I had suggested in preseason that an experiment of this type needed to take place in the ECHL. This wasn't a 1st rounder in Gaunce moving from center to left wing. We were talking about a kid who wasn't even on the draft radar of anyone, who was going to be tried at left wing.

He was kept on the Utica roster over 2 guys who were top scorers in Kalamazoo a year prior, Blomstrand and Fox. He was played intermittently in 4 games and was obviously in way over his head.

He was sent to the Zoo and after being played on and off for, I believe, another 4 games, the Zoo staff concluded he was so bad they didn't even want him at all! Thus, he was returned to Utica where he participated in every scheduled Comets practice.

The icing on this cake occurred December 18th, a week ago this past Friday, when the Comets lineup was devastated by injury and call-ups and they dressed an injured 7th D-man, Sautner, with no intentions of playing him in order to ice an 18 man roster. Stewart did not dress.

My assumption is they have been trying to find a Jr. team to accept him as an over ager since the day he was sent back to Utica by Kalamazoo. This was a noble gesture from Benning, but it's not looking very likely to succeed at the moment. Let's see what happens with him in Tri City.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Benning was fine with putting an AHL level player like Sbisa on a NHL roster because:
1. To save face and prove (in vain) that he didn't make the awful mistake of acquiring and subsequently signing a useless piece of trash
2. It's not a complete stretch, it's like putting a C student in Harvard, yeah he sucks, but he's not completely stupid

Putting a player who isn't even wanted by his former WHL team on the AHL team would be like putting a one legged man in a 40k marathon.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
I had suggested in preseason that an experiment of this type needed to take place in the ECHL. This wasn't a 1st rounder in Gaunce moving from center to left wing. We were talking about a kid who wasn't even on the draft radar of anyone, who was going to be tried at left wing.

He was kept on the Utica roster over 2 guys who were top scorers in Kalamazoo a year prior, Blomstrand and Fox. He was played intermittently in 4 games and was obviously in way over his head.

He was sent to the Zoo and after being played on and off for, I believe, another 4 games, the Zoo staff concluded he was so bad they didn't even want him at all! Thus, he was returned to Utica where he participated in every scheduled Comets practice.

The icing on this cake occurred December 18th, a week ago this past Friday, when the Comets lineup was devastated by injury and call-ups and they dressed an injured 7th D-man, Sautner, with no intentions of playing him in order to ice an 18 man roster. Stewart did not dress.

My assumption is they have been trying to find a Jr. team to accept him as an over ager since the day he was sent back to Utica by Kalamazoo. This was a noble gesture from Benning, but it's not looking very likely to succeed at the moment. Let's see what happens with him in Tri City.

Feel bad for the kid, must be more than a little bit embarrassing for him to be bounced around like that.

Also makes the decision to offer him an ELC this summer even more bizarre.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Feel bad for the kid, must be more than a little bit embarrassing for him to be bounced around like that.

Also makes the decision to offer him an ELC this summer even more bizarre.

I've felt sorry for him since I first saw him and in response to your second part, yeah it does.

Benning has given this kid a shot, which any player would like to get, but now one must ask at what cost. Right now it's almost humiliating.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I firmly believe he was signed because his WHL team told the Canucks they weren't going to keep him. But even under that scenario, toss him in the ECHL from the start of the season and get him some game action and see how it goes.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I firmly believe he was signed because his WHL team told the Canucks they weren't going to keep him. But even under that scenario, toss him in the ECHL from the start of the season and get him some game action and see how it goes.

Keep in mind that Kalamazoo has more than one NHL affiliate, so they have no reason to entertain some idiotic experiment like this.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Let me just reorganize what you just posted:

The Canucks signed Stew Mac to an ELC because his WHL team doesn't want to keep him.

Right. That's a compelling reason to hand out a 6 figure contract.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
We might have to Mallet him at some point
Throw him in a trade or something
But atleast Mallet's contract was up at the end of the year when we traded him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad