Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Occam's Razor.

Which is more likely - that Hutton and McCann were sub-par AHL players in April (worse than their peers who joined the AHL late in the season) but somehow had a miraculous summer where they turned into NHL players, or that they were (like all those other high draft picks) good enough to help in Utica but a coach decided to stick with 'his guys' at the expense of development?

The notion that every other 2014 #1 pick was good enough to help their team significantly late in the AHL season except for McCann is laughable. Especially when McCann was better than most of them next time a puck was dropped.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Didn't stop the negative reports about the games he did play in.

Then he walks into training camp and is probably the Canucks' best player in the preseason. There's certainly a disconnect there. Utica fans who will go any lengths to defend Travis Green likely saw what they wanted to see.

Which is exactly the problem with these "eye tests." People more often than not project their own biases onto players.

I'm one who often disbelieves people speaking of their view of the eye test. People often see what they want to see or see some things while not being aware of others.

Bad Goalie, imo, has established a fair bit of credibility. His reporting is consistently insightful and generally gives both good and bad about players. That doesn't suggest that anyone is completely objective, but imo Bad Goalie does well.

I also think Ernie is wrong in assuming that Hutton should have been playing for the Comets in the spring. He may have been better individually than somebody that played but that doesn't mean it would have been good for the team to take out someone who'd spent all year in the Comets system playing according to Green's methods and replace him with someone new.

It's also wrong imo to assume that Hutton didn't improve over the summer. He showed up and worked with the Comets, was told of things to work on and presumably spent the summer doing so. There's no basis for assuming he'd have been as good individually in the spring as we was at the end of the summer.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'm one who often disbelieves people speaking of their view of the eye test. People often see what they want to see or see some things while not being aware of others.

Bad Goalie, imo, has established a fair bit of credibility. His reporting is consistently insightful and generally gives both good and bad about players. That doesn't suggest that anyone is completely objective, but imo Bad Goalie does well.

I also think Ernie is wrong in assuming that Hutton should have been playing for the Comets in the spring. He may have been better individually than somebody that played but that doesn't mean it would have been good for the team to take out someone who'd spent all year in the Comets system playing according to Green's methods and replace him with someone new.

It's also wrong imo to assume that Hutton didn't improve over the summer. He showed up and worked with the Comets, was told of things to work on and presumably spent the summer doing so. There's no basis for assuming he'd have been as good individually in the spring as we was at the end of the summer.

Of course he improved. Did he go from ECHLer to top 4 D NHLer in 3 months though?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Occam's Razor.

Which is more likely - that Hutton and McCann were sub-par AHL players in April (worse than their peers who joined the AHL late in the season) but somehow had a miraculous summer where they turned into NHL players, or that they were (like all those other high draft picks) good enough to help in Utica but a coach decided to stick with 'his guys' at the expense of development?

The notion that every other 2014 #1 pick was good enough to help their team significantly late in the AHL season except for McCann is laughable. Especially when McCann was better than most of them next time a puck was dropped.

Pretty much nailed it.

I really do not see how you can serously say that McCann and Hutton went from being "not good enough for the AHL" to playing big roles in the NHL in a span of 6-4 months.

That **** does not happen. No mater how hard you try to twist reasoning it just does not happen.

Hutton was better than Negrin at the time he arrived in Utica. This is pretty well documented too, all you have to do is go back to the AHL winning vs development thread. It's pretty god damn ridiculous that people still try to argue this....

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
bad goalie has posted good insight within his essays. you'd better damn well listen to him because his info comes with the cost of the lives of trillions of innocent words.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
From Bad Goalie posts he has been playing well all year. Thought he had a good camp as well. He is the same age as Corrado if he keeps putting up the effort and getting the shots might be something there. If he shows improvement it is not too late for him to be atleast a call up option. No risk to signing him next year either if he gets picked up on waivers fine if not he is atleast a solid AHL player with some potential of call up. Same as Grenier is this year.

Don't just cite me. Orcatown has posted good things about him as well.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Occam's Razor.

"at the expense of development"

This is where I find the problem with your argument. It is easily possible that Hutton and McCann could have helped the Comets. I also joined in advocating a look at McCann. The posters claiming the win the cup with them is BS. No one can know what the results would have been. Its sheer guessing.

My question is how did not playing cost anything in the development of either one of these guys? If they were so adversely effected how did they magically make the Canucks roster 3-4 months later especially since, as some have just posted, the summer had no effect on their game between then and preseason camp? It may be argued they were ready, which I have already agreed to, but their development was obviously not harmed in the least. If a player has it, leaving his last amateur season and then entering his first pro season, the talent will be present. Whether or not he gets a few pro games or not will not change that fact. Their were Jr's whose parent club didn't get into the playoffs or exited in the first 3 of the opening best of five. Were they doomed going into the season any more than Hutton or McCann?

I believe it was Jake who said they all learned some of the big the differences in the pro game and amateurs. He said the pros paid much greater attention to off ice workouts, paid more attention to nutrition and rest. There is added pressure of so many games so close together and having to be ready every shift in a game, and coping with the speed and strength of the players was an eye opener. There was more but that's the best I can thumbnail from memory. Their experience here was valuable in spite of how it turned out for two of them. Jake played 10 playoff games and didn't exactly set the world on fire with one assist and he also made the Canucks so what was the difference in their "development"?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Any truth to the rumour of Stewart back to Prince Albert? Someone seems pretty convinced on the WHL board on a different board.

Would make sense as he has been struggling.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
What a disaster of a year for Cassels after tracking so well since we drafted him. Has any player ever entered the pro ranks this poorly and still salvaged an NHL career?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If there's a guy that they should IMO start trying out, it's Grenier. He looked great in his one game this year and they need to figure out if he has NHL future or not.

This. Grenier is the player they most need to study. If they don't spend the time to get to know what he is about now, then next year they're limiting their evaluation to camp. A short sample that can swing either way.

They need to give him another, longer look.

2.4 shots a game is pretty good.

He's never been a volume shooter.

3~ shots a game, given his style of game, would be better.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What a disaster of a year for Cassels after tracking so well since we drafted him. Has any player ever entered the pro ranks this poorly and still salvaged an NHL career?

Definitely moved from promising to a project, at least in my eyes. If he hasn't recovered and isn't a solid contributor next year then he's probably done. Would probably be tough to find a great comparable to his situation.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Pretty rare obviously. Did find John Mitchell.

0 points in first 16 AHL games. 4 points in his first 37 AHL games. Has racked up 159 points and 436 games in the NHL so far. Mitchell did start figuring things out a bit towards the end of his first full AHL season. Cassels probably gets a bit more time due to his injury and recovery, but needs a decent next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any reports from the Spengler Cup where Canada opened with a win over Tryamkin's Russian team?....was he on the ice...see that former Comet Cory Conacher scored the game winner.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Any reports from the Spengler Cup where Canada opened with a win over Tryamkin's Russian team?....was he on the ice...see that former Comet Cory Conacher scored the game winner.

I saw the whole of the 2nd period and the start of the 3rd. Didn't see as much of him as I would have liked but he did look pretty good. Gap control and coverage both good even on the big ice and he seemed pretty mobile for his size. Sadly didn't see much of him in the offensive zone.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Rodin with a goal and an assist in Brynas' win yesterday. Game winning goal and pp assist. Stretches his league leading goal and point totals to 16 and 34 in 27 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad