Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
What's the story on Mallet?...was a late bloomer in junior, could the same be happening in pro hockey?...was swapped for Pedan, but has come virtually full circle.....would he make any sense to Utica as a late-season call-up or on a PTO?....seems to be progressing, at least at the ECHL level, or has that ship sailed?

Yeah, he's not Canuck, or even Utica, property anymore... but I always had a soft spot for him. Maybe he is a late bloomer. Could be worth a PTO from the Comets.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, he's not Canuck, or even Utica, property anymore... but I always had a soft spot for him. Maybe he is a late bloomer. Could be worth a PTO from the Comets.

He was just so bad in his Utica stint. The others, Blomstrand, Fox, and Valk, have made no impression either.

If you look at the forward PTOs the Comets have signed this season, Brandon Marino currently on his second PTO and Greger Hanson, they have been top players in the entire ECHL during their careers, MVP, All-Star, Playoff MVP, league's top scorer, or in the case of Mike Pereira, an NCAA All-American etc. Check out the AHL numbers of all 3 and in limited GP their numbers are poor.

Marino and Pereira were released with the demotions of Higgins and Prust.

Now with the Shinkaruk trade and low numbers Marino was brought back. He played well the first stint, but just didn't put up points. However, he exhibited a good handle on the defensive end of the game which is crucial to Green, so his play was helpful. Hanson was signed due to the Gaunce call-up which left the team with only 18 healthy forwards.

If these guys can't put up points when given the chance at the next level, Green is obviously not hyped over the other 3 who were not as good offensively when given their chances in Utica and are all poor at the defensive aspects of the game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There was an article on Sportsnet about Mark Jankowski, the high school kid Weisbrod drafted when he was with the Flames....now a solid prospect at 21, who's a ppg guy at Providence....must be signed by August 15th or becomes a UFA like Justin Schultz or Kevin Hayes....hmmm?:yo:

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
Mark Jankowski is PPG now?

Man it only took 4 years.

I give it 7 out of 10 Weisbrods that we sign Jankowski.

Wouldn't mind that at all.Get him to Utica and see what happens.

Miss those glory Flames days,now we're number 1 in idiotic decisions.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Mark Jankowski is PPG now?

Man it only took 4 years.

I give it 7 out of 10 Weisbrods that we sign Jankowski.

We should be happy if Weisbrod pulled it off. Jank has filled out to 6'4" and 200, will likely be 210 by the time he has turned pro and has improved his numbers every year in college. If he goes FA, there will be a line-up.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
We should be happy if Weisbrod pulled it off. Jank has filled out to 6'4" and 200, will likely be 210 by the time he has turned pro and has improved his numbers every year in college. If he goes FA, there will be a line-up.

Not saying he's a bad prospect.

I'd rather target Stecher who is a much better prospect.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I'm not against acquiring Jank. I'm worried they'll blow significant asset to acquire him.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Any good FA goalies from Europe or the NCAA this year? I was going to say the Canucks might as well sign Cam Johnson while they're at it but I think he's just a sophomore still.

Either way, we need to get more goalies in the system. I think Cannata has maxed out as a solid, if unspectacular AHL goalie and the only other one we have is Demko. I don't count Bachman as a prospect.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Mar 4

AHL (22 games left, currently 7th in Conference)

Toronto at Utica 4pm

NCAA

(Hockey East Championship Tournament)
Maine at Northeastern 4pm
Gaudette

Western Michigan at North Dakota 6pm
Boeser

QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst 8 games left, Chicoutimi 7 games left, Sherbrooke 8 games left)

Sherbrooke at Rimouski 4:30pm
Neill

Chicoutimi at Shawinigan 4:30pm
Zhukenov

OHL (8 games left)

Erie at Kitchener 4:30pm
Pettit

WHL (Prince George 7 games left, Tri-City 9 games left)

Tri-City at Portland 7pm
Stewart

Spokane at Prince George 7pm
Olson

S_C

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't think it was mentioned that Demko's regular season is officially over. The Hockey East tournament starts today, but Demko won't be in action as Boston College received a bye to the Quarterfinals, which start next Friday. They will face either Boston University or Massachusetts.

Thatcher Demko - 2015-16 regular season stats:
32 GP, 23-5-4, 1.77 GAA, .937 Save%, 9 shutouts

His 9 shutouts lead the entire NCAA, while he placed 3rd in both GAA and Save%. Boston College finished with an overall record of 24-5-5 so he played all but 2 games.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
As Southern_Canuck mentioned, Gaudette's regular season is over a well and his team begins the Hockey East tournament today.

Adam Gaudette - 2015-16 regular season stats:
34 GP, 10 goals, 15 assists, 25 points, -1, 20 PIMS, 78 shots

Gaudette had an impressive freshman season for Northeastern, finishing 3rd on the team in goals, 5th in points and points per game, 2nd in PP goals and 3rd in shots. Interestingly, he scored at a much better rate in his freshman year in the NCAA then he did the season before for Cedar Rapids in the USHL, finishing with 0.74 PPG compared to 0.60 PPG (30 points in 50 games).

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
As Southern_Canuck mentioned, Gaudette's regular season is over a well and his team begins the Hockey East tournament today.

Gaudette had an impressive freshman season for Northeastern, finishing 3rd on the team in goals, 5th in points and points per game, 2nd in PP goals and 3rd in shots. Interestingly, he scored at a much better rate in his freshman year in the NCAA then he did the season before for Cedar Rapids in the USHL, finishing with 0.74 PPG compared to 0.60 PPG (30 points in 50 games).

He might be one of those guys who get better with more structured play and clear definition of role. I know he's most highly regarded for his motor, might be that when he knows which direction to go he can just put his head down and get it done.

Either way really excited about this player! He's basically an unknown quantity

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He might be one of those guys who get better with more structured play and clear definition of role. I know he's most highly regarded for his motor, might be that when he knows which direction to go he can just put his head down and get it done.

Either way really excited about this player! He's basically an unknown quantity

When will he be up with the Nucks or at training camp i guess? Really excited about this guy :)

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Interesting to see Benning say that they are looking at signing CHL/NCAA Defenseman.
Troy Stretcher and Jordan Gross are the two standouts for me.

Jalen Chatfield, Jesse Lees, Jerrett Smith are 3 other names, i am curious by

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
Interesting to see Benning say that they are looking at signing CHL/NCAA Defenseman.
Troy Stretcher and Jordan Gross are the two standouts for me.

Jalen Chatfield, Jesse Lees, Jerrett Smith are 3 other names, i am curious by

I hope we'll avoid Ashton Sautners of the world.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
When will he be up with the Nucks or at training camp i guess? Really excited about this guy :)

Not for several years yet. Again, he's a freshman in the NCAA. Also, unless his stock continues to rise considerably, he's not some super prospect so I imagine he'll be the type who will play the whole 4 years in college. That means he'll be at Northeastern for another 3 seasons, meaning we'll likely see him at the end of the 2018-19 season. If he just plays 3 years then the end of the 2017-18 season.

Point is, just be content to follow his progress in the NCAA for now.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007

Can't find his game by game stats but I believe he started off the year slow with something like 3 pts in his first 10 games IIRC. That gives him something like 21 pts in his last 24 gp which is encouraging.

EDIT: Ok found his stats. In 2016, he has 7g 13a 20pts in 16 games. That is real good for a freshman and mid-round pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad