Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I've said this before, but I think Fox's past problems have pre-determined his fate in the Benning/Weisbrod 'cult of fine young men' and he's basically getting the Seguin/Kassian treatment. I don't think Benning wants anything to do with him and is just burying him in the ECHL until his contract runs out.

Yeah, it's ****ing stupid. Would love to see what he can do in the A.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
This is why.

are we to completely ignore the Gillis prospects that Benning has kept? Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom - sounds like he has a spot for Gaunce next year too... I just do not get this argument. Benning showed absolutley zero bias towards his own guy when he allowed Green to hold McCann from playing in the AHL last season. It has nothing to do with being a "Gillis guy".

I believe the other poster nailed it (concerning Fox) with the issue from before - the one we can't discuss.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So 12 assists in 19 games for McEnemy (no goals though). Too bad we don't get any Zoo reports, but tyat production sbould keep him on the radar for next season I would think.

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
Anyone with a report on Ahti Oksanen?Senior from BU,played D,now is a LW.Big kid 6.03 - 207.Has 36 points in 36 games,+21.

Haven't watched him,just glancing through some college stats.Could be interesting FA this summer.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
So 12 assists in 19 games for McEnemy (no goals though). Too bad we don't get any Zoo reports, but tyat production sbould keep him on the radar for next season I would think.

I've been thinking the same thing. It's a drag we don't have a poster or two following the K-Wings in person to write reviews in the manner of the Utica enthusiasts.

I think the K-Wings are in tough to make the playoffs. Considering how short Mcenery's season has been, it'd be good to see him get an opportunity to see some post-season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The knock on Fox was always his skating. However, I remember reading that he'd done a fair amount of training, both "dry land" and on-ice, to address the issue.

And according to Sarah Hobday (who does the Kzoo reports for Canucks Army), he's now one of the best skaters on the K-wings:

-from Dec 5th, 2015: http://canucksarmy.com/2015/12/8/a-kzoo-look-december-5th

I also seem to recall him possibly winning the "fastest skater" competition for Kalamazoo this year (but I couldn't find a source on this beyond a couple unsourced forum posts).

Of course, ECHL level skating isn't NHL level skating (or AHL level skating), but nonetheless it would seem that Fox is vastly improved.

I can remember him being described as "sluggish" during his first few games in Kzoo. Now, he's apparently become one of their best skaters.

One would think that this improvement would translate to the next level. At least enough that he should have "adequate" level skating to play in Utica (and possibly he's now above average by AHL standards).

Sounds like a massive improvement. It will be disappointing he never got a better look. Sounds like MS is right, they are just waiting for his contract to end in June.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've said this before, but I think Fox's past problems have pre-determined his fate in the Benning/Weisbrod 'cult of fine young men' and he's basically getting the Seguin/Kassian treatment. I don't think Benning wants anything to do with him and is just burying him in the ECHL until his contract runs out.

Yes, the Fox situation is baffling.....Another couple of PTO's from the ECHL playing for the Comets today in TO.....just can't understand why they don't at least give him another look in Utica....surely he could be a pp contributor at the very least...but then I remember that Jimbo decided not to re-sign Zalewski in the off-season, before reversing himself......looking like all of the picks/FA signings by Gillis are going to have to be twice as good as the guys picked by the current regime just to get a shot.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Anyone with a report on Ahti Oksanen?Senior from BU,played D,now is a LW.Big kid 6.03 - 207.Has 36 points in 36 games,+21.

Haven't watched him,just glancing through some college stats.Could be interesting FA this summer.

I have access to watch any NCAA game now. I might be able to give some input.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
are we to completely ignore the Gillis prospects that Benning has kept? Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom - sounds like he has a spot for Gaunce next year too... I just do not get this argument. Benning showed absolutley zero bias towards his own guy when he allowed Green to hold McCann from playing in the AHL last season. It has nothing to do with being a "Gillis guy".

I believe the other poster nailed it (concerning Fox) with the issue from before - the one we can't discuss.

These guys practically had to force their way onto the roster despite them. They wanted nothing to do with Horvat at the start of last year and Willie benched him every game in the 3rd period until he 'earned it.' unlike Vey who was literally on the first pp shift of the season.

same with Hutton who was benched last season in the AHL playoffs, didn't get a game. It's ridiculous to think a player playing this well in the nhl this year couldn't have helped an AHL team last year, and I ****ing guarantee you a Benning guy would have been on the top pairing instead of on the sidelines.

Early indications are that Markstrom will get the lack treatment and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see gaunce dealt. Gotta make rum for McCann, granlund, and vey! Guys who get spoonfed top minutes from day one regardless of how they play.

Was anyone surprised to see granlund over Horvat on the PP the other night? It's a actually amazing how transparent and predictable this regime is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->