Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
NBC Sports is reporting that Tryamkin is signed and on his way to NA, and could make his NHL debut this season....but CKWX 1130 is refuting the claim....any updates?

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

got Brisbebois game highlight for march 2nd
pretty decent game
well played for the most part during powerplay
moved the puck well, and shot often down low near face off circle
good battles along the boards. won good chuncks

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Mar 4

AHL (now 21 games left)

Toronto 0 Utica 4
Cannata 33 saves on 33 shots

Grenier, (11) (Friesen, Ehrhardt)
Kenins, (2) (Negrin, Bancks)
Archibald, (7) (Kenins, Pedan)
Archibald, (8) (Friesen, Pedan)

NCAA

(Hockey East Championship Tournament)
Maine 2 Northeastern 3 (OT)
Gaudette 1 assist, (even

Western Michigan 1 North Dakota 8
Boeser 2 goals (23rd, 24th), 2 assists, +4 (selected 1st star)

QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst 7 games left, Chicoutimi 6 games left, Sherbrooke 7 games left)

Sherbrooke 4 Rimouski 2
Neill 0 points, +1

Chicoutimi 6 Shawinigan 5
Zhukenov 2 goals (14th, 15th), +1 (selected 2nd star)

OHL (7 games left)

Erie 4 Kitchener 3 (SO)
Pettit 0 points, even

WHL (Prince George 6 games left, Tri-City 8 games left)

Tri-City 3 Portland 5
Stewart 0 points, even

Spokane 3 Prince George 2
Olson 1 assist, +1 (selected 2nd star)

S_C

Last edited:

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Fri Mar 4

AHL (now 21 games left)

Toronto 0 Utica 4
Cannata 33 saves on 33 shots

Grenier, (11) (Friesen, Ehrhardt)
Kenins, (2) (Negrin, Bancks)
Archibald, (7) (Kenins, Pedan)
Archibald, (8) (Friesen, Pedan)

NCAA

Maine 2 Northeastern 3 (OT)
Gaudette 1 assist, (even

Western Michigan 1 North Dakota 8
Boeser 2 goals (23rd, 24th), 2 assists, +4 (selected 1st star)

QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst 7 games left, Chicoutimi 6 games left, Sherbrooke 7 games left)

Sherbrooke 4 Rimouski 2
Neill 0 points, +1

Chicoutimi 6 Shawinigan 5
Zhukenov 2 goals (14th, 15th), +1 (selected 2nd star)

OHL (7 games left)

Erie 4 Kitchener 3 (SO)
Pettit 0 points, even

WHL (Prince George 6 games left, Tri-City 8 games left)

Tri-City 3 Portland 5
Stewart

Spokane 3 Prince George 2
Olson

S_C

Olson 1A +1 2 PIM (2nd star)

Stewart 0 points, even

Again, thank you for the work you put day in and day out, SC

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Any good FA goalies from Europe or the NCAA this year? I was going to say the Canucks might as well sign Cam Johnson while they're at it but I think he's just a sophomore still.

Either way, we need to get more goalies in the system. I think Cannata has maxed out as a solid, if unspectacular AHL goalie and the only other one we have is Demko. I don't count Bachman as a prospect.

Cannata may surprise if he's ever given the chance to carry the load. He was undefeated in regulation in February. He was outright stellar against the league's best shutting out Toronto last night. He keeps being rotated this season while being the better keeper and the past two seasons was, for obvious reasons, not given the job. Whenever pressed into carrying the load, he has been very good with the exception of early in his rookie season in Utica. They keep bringing in a new guy and labeling him #1. Bachman was labeled as such upon his acquisition this past season and has not lived up to the billing and Cannata has outplayed him and now deserves to be handed the reins to show what he can do, but Green has steadfastly rotated them even when one obviously has the hot hand and that has been Cannata much more often. To win, this Comets team has to have good goal tending and he is producing it big time of late. In spite of their total, all out effort, they do give up great chances.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Any good FA goalies from Europe or the NCAA this year? I was going to say the Canucks might as well sign Cam Johnson while they're at it but I think he's just a sophomore still.

Either way, we need to get more goalies in the system. I think Cannata has maxed out as a solid, if unspectacular AHL goalie and the only other one we have is Demko. I don't count Bachman as a prospect.

You doubting that the Canucks will sign Demko this offseason? Even if he doesn't get signed there's not a lot of room in the AHL with Bachman having a year left on his contract and Cannata playing like he deserves an extension. Maybe they can find a taker for Bachman though.

The Canucks are rumoured to be interested in Alex Lyon out of Yale. Sami Rajaniemi has put up good numbers in the SM-Liiga the past few seasons and his contract is up at the end of this season. Both are '92 born though, so they're older prospects.

Hopefully they can get a decent goalie in the draft, I don't like going more than a year without picking up a goalie.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You doubting that the Canucks will sign Demko this offseason? Even if he doesn't get signed there's not a lot of room in the AHL with Bachman having a year left on his contract and Cannata playing like he deserves an extension. Maybe they can find a taker for Bachman though.

The Canucks are rumoured to be interested in Alex Lyon out of Yale. Sami Rajaniemi has put up good numbers in the SM-Liiga the past few seasons and his contract is up at the end of this season. Both are '92 born though, so they're older prospects.

Hopefully they can get a decent goalie in the draft, I don't like going more than a year without picking up a goalie.

Not at all. I was just highlighting that he and Cannata are the only prospects we have in the system at the moment. In fact, if we sign Demko then that sort of makes my point even more, that we'll have two pro goalie prospects and zero non pro ones.

Hopefully we sign one and draft one or two. I'm obviously interested in Carter Hart at the draft as well as the Giants' own Ryan Kubic. He hasn't put up stellar stats or anything but my understanding is he could be a sleeper.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Cannata may surprise if he's ever given the chance to carry the load. He was undefeated in regulation in February. He was outright stellar against the league's best shutting out Toronto last night. He keeps being rotated this season while being the better keeper and the past two seasons was, for obvious reasons, not given the job. Whenever pressed into carrying the load, he has been very good with the exception of early in his rookie season in Utica. They keep bringing in a new guy and labeling him #1. Bachman was labeled as such upon his acquisition this past season and has not lived up to the billing and Cannata has outplayed him and now deserves to be handed the reins to show what he can do, but Green has steadfastly rotated them even when one obviously has the hot hand and that has been Cannata much more often. To win, this Comets team has to have good goal tending and he is producing it big time of late. In spite of their total, all out effort, they do give up great chances.

Don't get me wrong BG, I'm a big fan of Cannata. Always have been. I just feel that, even if he becomes a star at that level, what we're going to get from Cannata is an AHL goalie. So in the context of what I'm talking about, I don't know if he's a prospect anymore.

I mean, we don't even know if the Canucks will retain him. Bachman is signed for another year and we'll likely see Demko enter the fold.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, to me Cannata is an intriguing guy....had a stellar college career at Merrimack and has stuck with it as pro in the ECHL and AHL....kind of average size in this era of gargantuan netminders, but has improved every year...how is his puckhandling and rebound control?....just listen to some of the games on radio, but seems to give up a few rebounds...was called up when Miller was hurt, so at least they got a good lock at him in practice......still, hoping he stays in the Canuck system as a depth guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If not signed he is a free agent on August 15

Yes, Mark Jankowski would be a UFA on Aug. 15th....would Weisbrod give Burkie and the Flames the pointed stick by taking a run at him?....is the dreaded Weisbrod-Feaster combo finally going to pay dividends for the Canucks?lol:laugh:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The K-Wings are up 3-2 after one period. Fox has two goals, putting him at 24 for the season, in a tie for fourth in the ECHL for goals, 2 behind the league leader. He also had 7 of the team's 15 shots in the first period.

Perhaps Fox will head to Europe next year, but, assuming he keeps up his current pace, you'd think another team in the AHL might give him a shot.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Dane Fox scored 4 goals tonight.

Oh nice! Still don't think he'll get higher than the AHL, but nice that he's doing well. Was worth a swing, much more than a guy like Stewart or Stefan Schnieder.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
I doubt he skates well enough for Benning to be seen as having any chance at the NHL and is therefore irrelevant.

Still would be nice to see him get a decent AHL try out.

The knock on Fox was always his skating. However, I remember reading that he'd done a fair amount of training, both "dry land" and on-ice, to address the issue.

And according to Sarah Hobday (who does the Kzoo reports for Canucks Army), he's now one of the best skaters on the K-wings:

Fox was the fastest Kzoo skater over the weekend. I also noticed Fox’s slick stick handling (mostly evident Saturday night). With his increased speed Fox was easily weaving in and out of Elmira players.
Fox showed a lot of great hustle throughout the weekend games.
-from Dec 5th, 2015: http://canucksarmy.com/2015/12/8/a-kzoo-look-december-5th

I also seem to recall him possibly winning the "fastest skater" competition for Kalamazoo this year (but I couldn't find a source on this beyond a couple unsourced forum posts).

Of course, ECHL level skating isn't NHL level skating (or AHL level skating), but nonetheless it would seem that Fox is vastly improved.

I can remember him being described as "sluggish" during his first few games in Kzoo. Now, he's apparently become one of their best skaters.

One would think that this improvement would translate to the next level. At least enough that he should have "adequate" level skating to play in Utica (and possibly he's now above average by AHL standards).

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat Mar 5

AHL

Springfield 1 Utica 2
Bachman 21 saves on 22 shots

Higgins, (4) (Fedun, Friesen) (PP)
Kenins, (3) (Fedun, Friesen) (PP)

ECHL

Utah 4 Kalamazoo 5 (OT)

Shattock, (11) (Scheidl, Wilson)
Fox, (23) (McEneny, Kattelus)
Fox, (24)
Fox, (25) (Guimond, Kattelus)
OT. Fox, (26) (McEneny)

NCAA

Maine 3 Northeastern 4 (OT)
Gaudette 0 points, even

Western Michigan 4 North Dakota 5
Boeser 1 goal (25th), 1 assist, even (selected 1st star)

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst 4 Saint John 7
Brisebois 1 goal (9th), +1 (selected 3rd star)

WHL

Tri-City 5 Everett 3
Stewart 0 points, even

Spokane 1 Prince George 4
Olson 2 assists, +2

S_C

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dane Fox should be in the AHL imo. Or at least given a chance.

I agree. He was an elite scorer in junior. He's an elite scorer in the ECHL. He deserves a crack at the AHL. Gillis signed him for a reason, but now he's being completely wasted.

I've said this before, but I think Fox's past problems have pre-determined his fate in the Benning/Weisbrod 'cult of fine young men' and he's basically getting the Seguin/Kassian treatment. I don't think Benning wants anything to do with him and is just burying him in the ECHL until his contract runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->