The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They've slipped to 18th overall in P% standings. 8th best in what so far is a weak western conference. Still 3rd in the division but I don't see that lasting and once they slip from 3rd in the division they'll be on the outside looking in. Could happen by US Thanksgiving. History has shown that once you hit that holiday your playoff teams are mostly set.

PP - 15th
PK - 19th
SA/G - 21st
S/G - 27th
GF/G - 19th
GA/G - 24th

And if I had to wager they have been steadily dropping in these categories. Everything still points to bottom 10 finish if not bottom 5. Not that it means I don't like victories...I just expect fewer and fewer of them as the season progresses.

It's also worth pointing out that this is with strong starts by Horvat, Pettersson, Hutton, and Virtanen. Starts that are likely exceeding expectations. Boeser didn't have a great start but was still getting points. Tells you an awful lot about how well the management has done in filling out the roster to have a half dozen younger players producing at or above expected rates and still projecting to finish in a similar place as the past few seasons.

Last edited:

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
The Canucks are one more really good tank year away from contending again! This years draft looks pretty deep! I'm ok with watching the Canucks lose but also have young players contribute.

Reactions: Jack Burton

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I still would prefer a center or defenseman so i hope we are in position to draft one. I dont think id take a winger with our 1st unless its a no doubter.

Passing on a stud center because you already have two studs is how you end up missing out on kopitar.

Surely they can recognize that the center position is what teams have pursued and what has been crucial for the last 3 cup winners/ will be crucial in deep playoff runs... Right ??

Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller, Beagle
Crosby, Malkin, Bonino/Brassard
Matthews, Tavares, Kadri.
Johansen, Turris, Bonino

Reactions: Jack Burton

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Like most teams, the canucks do not have a deep enough prospect pool to play the draft by position game. Especially in the first round. You draft the BPA no matter the position. To do otherwise is why you don't have Tkachuk on Pettersson's wing right now. To do otherwise is why you don't have Ehlers or Nylander on Horvat's wing.

They still very much need players at every single position. Take the best player available.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
They've slipped to 18th overall in P% standings. 8th best in what so far is a weak western conference. Still 3rd in the division but I don't see that lasting and once they slip from 3rd in the division they'll be on the outside looking in. Could happen by US Thanksgiving. History has shown that once you hit that holiday your playoff teams are mostly set.

PP - 15th
PK - 19th
SA/G - 21st
S/G - 27th
GF/G - 19th
GA/G - 24th

And if I had to wager they have been steadily dropping in these categories. Everything still points to bottom 10 finish if not bottom 5. Not that it means I don't like victories...I just expect fewer and fewer of them as the season progresses.

It's also worth pointing out that this is with strong starts by Horvat, Pettersson, Hutton, and Virtanen. Starts that are likely exceeding expectations. Boeser didn't have a great start but was still getting points. Tells you an awful lot about how well the management has done in filling out the roster to have a half dozen younger players producing at or above expected rates and still projecting to finish in a similar place as the past few seasons.

Interestingly, the athletics daily team point projections has the Canucks finishing with 81.6 pts, which would be good for 4th last in the league.

The Canucks have scored a ton of fluky goals so far and had many games where the opposing goaltender was trash. I dont expect that to continue.

The Canucks are currently shooting 9.22% at even strength, good for 8th in the league. Last year they were at 7.17% 26th in the league. That number should come down as the season progresses.

4th last in the league after this fluky start would be a great result for the tank.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
tumblr_pazid7SsOV1wvbb2xo2_r1_540.gif

Reactions: THE Green Man

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
3 points away from being 26th. Extreme parity tho begin the season has helped the possibility of full tank.

We're very lucky that only the LAK have dug themselves into an early hole.

We've played the most games in the league and most teams have 2-3 games in hand on us, and a few have *4 or 5* and like you said, most of them are 2-5 points behind us and many will pass us as they catch up in GP.

Edit:

Lol 4-1 36 seconds later.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The great thing about Bachman being awful in his one appearance is that we're going to ride Markstrom into the ground night after night, and when Nilson comes back I expect him to regress hard towards his career average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad