The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Boy I'm glad we didn't respond to Matheson and got the 2 pts. Its been the X-factor in our playoff drive. I've already coned off my spot on Robson, I don't know about you fellers.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Posted some of this in the game thread I'll repeat and expand here...

Yep injuries. Not the fact that a healthy roster has over a half a dozen guys who shouldn't be in an everyday NHL lineup:

Eriksson
Granlund
Gudbranson
Schaller
Motte
Pouliot
Del Zotto

This forces almost the entire lineup to be playing at a spot/level in the lineup they simply aren't capable of playing at.

5 off-seasons at the helm and not only has Benning failed to build any organizational depth to withstand injury he hasn't even managed to build 18 skaters worth of NHL players to put on the ice opening day.

But but injuries...INJURIES!!!!!!! And...and something about injuries!
:naughty:

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Interesting that we have the record we do but have only gone into the third period in 3 games that we have trailed by more than a goal. One of them was close too with Ovy scoring to go up 2 in the last minute of the 2nd. Just goes to show how bad we really are in third periods, but it means we are competitive most nights so if we can get proper management the pieces could be there as early as next season. But the one variable in Benning I am not confident about getting rid of.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Interesting that we have the record we do but have only gone into the third period in 3 games that we have trailed by more than a goal. One of them was close too with Ovy scoring to go up 2 in the last minute of the 2nd. Just goes to show how bad we really are in third periods, but it means we are competitive most nights so if we can get proper management the pieces could be there as early as next season. But the one variable in Benning I am not confident about getting rid of.
He'll only be here for 1 more season max, FA is likely struggling but trying his best to be patient and supportive, but he's going to eventually lose patience and bring in a new GM.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
He'll only be here for 1 more season max, FA is likely struggling but trying his best to be patient and supportive, but he's going to eventually lose patience and bring in a new GM.
I would hope it's after this season. With the Linden outing I am hoping that JB promised playoffs to FA and his failure results in him getting fired. Though I don't see that happening with EP40's emergence along with the excuses of injuries and the poor starting schedule will keep him his job. Not going to lie I want to get off the tank wagon, but with JB here there's no way I can do that.

Regardless, it is encouraging with the injuries and heavy road travel thus far that they are playing entertaining hockey for the most part; the young guys are scoring and they are competitive for 40 of 60 minutes a night when they get proper goaltending.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Posted some of this in the game thread I'll repeat and expand here...

Yep injuries. Not the fact that a healthy roster has over a half a dozen guys who shouldn't be in an everyday NHL lineup:

Eriksson
Granlund
Gudbranson
Schaller
Motte
Pouliot
Del Zotto

This forces almost the entire lineup to be playing at a spot/level in the lineup they simply aren't capable of playing at.

5 off-seasons at the helm and not only has Benning failed to build any organizational depth to withstand injury he hasn't even managed to build 18 skaters worth of NHL players to put on the ice opening day.

Eriksson (Spotted Elephant)
Granlund (Charlie in the Box)
Gudbranson (Water Pistol that Squirts Jelly)
Schaller (Scooter for Jimmy)
Motte (Winged Bear)
Pouliot (Train with Square Wheels on His Caboose)
Del Zotto (Cowboy Who Rides an Ostrich)

Reactions: tantalum

Songtao 88

Dec 26, 2014
Left Coast
>>> Just goes to show how bad we really are in third periods, but it means we are competitive most nights so if we can get proper management the pieces could be there as early as next season.

Our team is hardly close. Pinning our hopes for dramatic improvement next season on Quinn Hughes is unrealistic. He is a pint-sized rushing defenseman bleeding goals against in the NCAA. We are several good-sized NHL players away from becoming "competitive most nights."

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Feels like we've all been saying that for a few years now. I think the only thing we can be sure of is that Benning's job security is entirely divorced from his performance.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
>>> Just goes to show how bad we really are in third periods, but it means we are competitive most nights so if we can get proper management the pieces could be there as early as next season.

Our team is hardly close. Pinning our hopes for dramatic improvement next season on Quinn Hughes is unrealistic. He is a pint-sized rushing defenseman bleeding goals against in the NCAA. We are several good-sized NHL players away from becoming "competitive most nights."
Close to playoff contention not to actual contenders. Adding Hughes will be great for the PP and a winger for the top 6 will be a needed addition. We just need to be able to get a RHD replacement for Gudbrandson or at the very least have him playing as a ridiculously overpaid 6D. This is all provided that Benning is gone however because he has proven he can't gauge talent when it comes to defencemen nor can we trust him to give out the contracts to these players.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No one on the team besides Edler and Tanev can provide consistent NHL level defence.

next year will be (assuming Edler Re-Signs)

Edler-Stetcher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson

Just paired 1 LHS with 1 RHS

Ice time should be

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Hughes
Gudbranson
Stetcher

Team needs to replace Gudbranson with an actual good top 4 RHD, and move stetcher to the third pairing.

Cant see Juolevi beating any of those guys out for a roster spot lol.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No one on the team besides Edler and Tanev can provide consistent NHL level defence.

next year will be (assuming Edler Re-Signs)

Edler-Stetcher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson

Just paired 1 LHS with 1 RHS

Ice time should be

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Hughes
Gudbranson
Stetcher

Team needs to replace Gudbranson with an actual good top 4 RHD, and move stetcher to the third pairing.

Cant see Juolevi beating any of those guys out for a roster spot lol.

Hutton has been solid last year and built on that this year.

Stetcher is fine as the 4th/5th guy. Had a sneaky good year last year, not so good this year so far.

Problem is these are at best 2nd pairing guys. Bottom 4 more than top 4 d men.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
The Canuck's and their system are nowhere near being a playoff competitive team. They might be able to flirt with a wildcard (still doubt it) in the next couple of seasons purely due to how terrible the Pacific Division is. Front office should be completely burnt down to have any hope of sustained success.

The back end is a complete mess and easily one of the worst starting groups in the league. Offensive contributions from the blue is non-existent and defensively they are completely incompetent and outmatched against good teams. The future is completely dependent on Hughes and Juolevi -- one being a very undersized yet skilled defenseman in the NCAA and the other still working on his defensive game (or lack thereof) at the AHL level. Neither project as number one guys and both are likely years away from making any sort of impact at the NHL level.

Up front the Canuck's have a solid handful of young talent including Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and maybe Virtanen/Goldobin. After these guys, the depth falls off considerably. The future is reliant on guys who are still finding their way or are overwhelmed at lower levels -- surely nobody ready to step up and change the Canuck's fortunes. The roster as it stands is completely saturated with replacement level garbage that is a direct result of Benning's ability to mismanage the team.

Goaltending is completely unpredictable. Our best shot at a starter has played one game in the NHL and has yet to dress this year due to a concussion. I would say it is just as likely our goaltending prospects never live up to expectations.

Watching teams like the Leafs, Lightning, and Preds this season makes you realize just how far away this team is from competing with the upper echelon.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't look now but the Canucks are 7 points out of 31st, with LA having 3 games in hand on them.
You’re incorrectly doing Benning math. Jim’s games in hand math goes like this:

1) if the Canucks have games in hand they will win all of them (see lack of Hamhuis trade as while the were 5 or 6 points out they had 3 games in hand so “what if we win those?”)

2) if other teams have games in hanD they will surely not win many of them (see the yearly BS of being in a playoff spot early only to have injuries ruin the year. Ignore the point percentages...)
Oilers fire there coach with 0.475 pt% this season. Everything is just fine in canuckland with a 0.478 because they sit third in an awful awful division. An Oiler win tonight knocks the Canucks out of the playoff position and into 12th when looking at pt%.

Last edited:

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
You’re incorrectly doing Benning math. Jim’s games in hand math goes like this:

1) if the Canucks have games in hand they will win all of them (see lack of Hamhuis trade as while the were 5 or 6 points out they had 3 games in hand so “what if we win this?”)

2) if other teams have games in hanD they will surely not win many of them (see the yearly BS of being in a playoff spot early only to have injuries ruin the year. Ignore the point percentages...)
Oilers fire there coach with 0.475 pt% this season. Everything is just fine in canuckland with a 0.478 because they sit third in an awful awful division. An Oiler win tonight knocks the Canucks out of the playoff position by pt% and into 12th.
Benning can't count to 3 or add 1+1 so I don't really get what you are talking about. My point is that WD is a terrible coach and in this instance it should mean that those 3 games are losses. If they win those 3 or even 1 I would count that as the Kings overachieving based on whose coaching the team.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning can't count to 3 or add 1+1 so I don't really get what you are talking about. My point is that WD is a terrible coach and in this instance it should mean that those 3 games are losses. If they win those 3 or even 1 I would count that as the Kings overachieving based on whose coaching the team.

Lol my bad. Your post snuck in before I hit reply...I was trying to respond to the post above yours!

I’ll edit!

Reactions: THE Green Man

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I didn't realize how similar the start last year was until I saw the tweet below. It's pretty remarkable how little can change when you go out and spend more $ on bottom six forwards to add to a team of mostly bottom six forwards.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Isn't it going to be great when we finish 24th but 5 of the 7 teams below us are from our division? Deny us that high pick/lottery ticket so we can get swept in the playoffs. Obviously this will signal that "we're close" and buy Benning several more years. I can't believe the California teams might f*** us again. Unbef***inglievable.

I actually think I'm starting to despise that state because of hockey. Every time I think about it I just think about LA/SJ and feel a deep primal rage coursing throughout my body.

Nice!

Do you ever wonder if coaches would be aware enough to squeak under the bar? Like Green should know he would have more job security if this team improved, and he should recognize this team is not a competitive team, so he should secretly shave a few points for his own sake long term. I wish this were a thing that could happen in reality. Then while we get the story of "1 point out of the playoffs", we still get a quality pick and a chance in the lottery.

Why do Horvat and Pettersson have to carry this team? Why does Green have to suddenly trust Hutton when he was our de facto #1D with Edler/Tanev out playing excellently? Sure we hate Pouliot, but I sure hope he gets some ice time against whatever scoring lines our division can muster.

We might be white knuckling the end of this season, boys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad