The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Hey, I'm infamous! You named the tread after me! Except everyone I was conversing with missed my point, so I'll play dumb and pretend I don't know math.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
To elaborate on a point in the previous thread, Matthew Tkachuk is on pace for 90 points and he’s not even playing with Gaudreau or Monahan.

Benning didn’t even have to make a bunch of amazing moves, if he had just done the most obvious things, our rebuild could easily be completed by now.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey, I'm infamous! You named the tread after me! Except everyone I was conversing with missed my point, so I'll play dumb and pretend I don't know math.
Uh, no. You posted some stuff in the old thread about the chances of getting picks that demonstrated your failure to understand how probability works. So I have to conclude you really don't know math until you show otherwise.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Uh, no. You posted some stuff in the old thread about the chances of getting picks that demonstrated your failure to understand how probability works. So I have to conclude you really don't know math until you show otherwise.
Still haven't got my point. So if it makes you feel better, derp math is hard.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Still haven't got my point. So if it makes you feel better, derp math is hard.

No, I got your point. You just had completely fallacious reasoning.

Well, yeah, the fact that 13th specifically got it is an outlier. But teams that finish outside of the top 5 collectively have a 38.5% chance of drafting first. Which, to prove that I know how to do math, is 18.5% higher than finishing last. To know which one of the team 6-15 win is impossible to say, but odds are one of them will get a lottery win, and I would rather enjoy myself when the Canucks win AND win the lottery. Does that make me a bad person? Or just stupid?

See? This is totally ass-backwards. You're adding the odds together of teams 6-15. Odds don't work like that.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So, considering we aren't allowed to discuss the tank in GDT, could we perhaps have a moratorium on all the derpy "Tanking doesn't guarantee success" trolling in here?

Like the purpose of this thread is for people to cheer for the tank because they aren't allowed to do so in the GDT. If you are anti-tank just ignore the damn thread for f*** sakes.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
That I can both be happy about wins (and then try for a lottery pick deeper in the draft) AND be happy if the Canucks are terrible by the seasons end and end up dead last. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
And our response remains that hoping for a lottery pick deeper in the draft is hoping for the much less likely outcome. If you genuinely don't understand why, that's on you not us.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
That I can both be happy about wins (and then try for a lottery pick deeper in the draft) AND be happy if the Canucks are terrible by the seasons end and end up dead last. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

But you must agree there is a threshold where it becomes a problem, right? If we win enough games to draft @ 14 every year rather than getting some picks we start to enter 2008-2016 Calgary territory.

I'm very happy to see some of our prospects scoring points or the team playing a solid game, but every game we win also leaves a bad taste in my mouth given how it contributes to a very bleak future. I would rather see the team play a solid game and lose than play alright and eke out a win. It also isn't so bad to watch this team get absolutely stomped to hope management gets the boot.

It's short term gratification versus delayed gratification. You might want to eat that bag of Doritos right now because fitness is not a right now kind of thing. Winning is a nice bag of Doritos, having a competitive hockey team is your abs starting to show.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
So, considering we aren't allowed to discuss the tank in GDT, could we perhaps have a moratorium on all the derpy "Tanking doesn't guarantee success" trolling in here?

Like the purpose of this thread is for people to cheer for the tank because they aren't allowed to do so in the GDT. If you are anti-tank just ignore the damn thread for **** sakes.
You will always have someone from the Benning fanboy club calling you a loser just because you're pro-tank. And those are allowed in here because every time Canucks win, we get a bunch of those posts.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I’m not pro tank or pro “just try to make the playoffs”. History has shown what we have done with a 4th / 5th / 10th overall pick etc. All garbage. So if we draft lower, meh, probably the same result.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
To elaborate on a point in the previous thread, Matthew Tkachuk is on pace for 90 points and he’s not even playing with Gaudreau or Monahan.

Benning didn’t even have to make a bunch of amazing moves, if he had just done the most obvious things, our rebuild could easily be completed by now.
Imagine handing the Calgary ****ing Flames that kid on a platter to take the 'safe' defenseman who still hasn't played a game in the league.

One of the most boneheaded decisions to date. Will haunt this team for years after Dim Jim and Mr. Harvard are out the door.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The tank is back in business just got a service done in time for the Penguins. Keep the d corps like this and the tank will be in rolling in high gear.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Sure, enjoy the game and the team in whatever ways that works. No one will tell you any different.

But don't for a second think that this alone makes you a better or morally superior fan than anyone else, because you aren't.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Sure, enjoy the game and the team in whatever ways that works. No one will tell you any different.

But don't for a second think that this alone makes you a better or morally superior fan than anyone else, because you aren't.
He'll kick himself when he finally figures out the Canucks aren't going to occupy all positions 6-15 simultaneously at the time of the draft lottery.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Two no-brainers in 14 and 16 and we've got 5 outstanding under-23 talents up front going into this year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Exactly. Draft Nylander and Tkachuk or Keller and rebuild complete. But Jim "eye for talent Benning" knows a lot better.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

If they had just misjudged Tkachuk as a projected player, I could forgive that... but they passed on Tkachuk because Virtanen was already in the system and they were going to draft a dman or center. If Tkachuk was a center, he'd probably be a canuck.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Tkachuk and pettersson would be a match made in heaven. They would compliment each other so well and would have ridiculous chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad