The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
For me the pick is the cherry on top. What i want is another rotten season so Benning is fired.

Given our ownership and history of firings, the easiest way for that to happen would be for the Canucks be in a solid playoff position at the deadline and then completely blow it to end the year, with Benning doing nothing at the deadline. Think back to the 2007-2008 season where Nonis was fired for not acquiring Brad Richards or doing anything to fix the scoring problems the offseason before.

Otherwise, even if the team sucks from here on out, I doubt Benning is fired as the owners will just say that was what was expected this year.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Given our ownership and history of firings, the easiest way for that to happen would be for the Canucks be in a solid playoff position at the deadline and then completely blow it to end the year, with Benning doing nothing at the deadline. Think back to the 2007-2008 season where Nonis was fired for not acquiring Brad Richards or doing anything to fix the scoring problems the offseason before.

Otherwise, even if the team sucks from here on out, I doubt Benning is fired as the owners will just say that was what was expected this year.

If the team is in solid playoff position it is extremely unlikely that Dim Jim will stand by and do nothing - he WILL make dumb trades or sign awful contracts, or both.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I truly don't see any way Benning would be dismissed due to performance even if the team lost every single game from here on out.

All three of his major 2018 UFAs have played decent-to-good, his most recent 1st rounders are excelling in the NHL and in college, and even his past mistakes in Virtanen, Eriksson, and Gudbranson are performing well to anyone's expectations.

Unless he actively sabotages the team, recklessly costs the team assets, and forgets to file RFA paperwork, he'll be the one lumbering up the stage to announce the Canucks' draft pick in 2019.

The energy in this thread hoping Benning gets fired would be better spent being more proactive by writing letters to the Francisco Aqualini to convince him sell the team and run for mayor of Vancouver.

I disagree. Beagle hasn't been very good. The team has clearly been fine without him. Roussel hasn't lived up to his contract. Schaller has been OK, though I wouldn't say he was a big free agent. The team is being carried by Pettersson and Horvat right now, and overall the team is playing at an unsustainable level.

If Benning isn't fired then you enjoy your team that's going to be perennially mediocre.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008

This is the ideal situation IMO. The worst case situation is if San Jose is out of it, Canucks are challenging for the division, and we overpay for a Karlsson rental, get knocked out in the first round, and Karlsson signs with Vegas or something to a cap-friendly deal.

A smaller chance of a change would be if he traded Canucks roster players at the deadline for a lacklustre return, then those pieces become core to a Stanley Cup run (like Steve Pearce for the Red Sox this year). Think Ben Hutton for a 3rd rounder, and then Hutton becomes a PPG player and wins the Conn Smythe.

Benning needs to be put in a position to fail. The best way to do this is to generate some pressure to win.

I feel like I need to start a "pro-let's-just-enjoy-being-average" thread.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This is the ideal situation IMO. The worst case situation is if San Jose is out of it, Canucks are challenging for the division, and we overpay for a Karlsson rental, get knocked out in the first round, and Karlsson signs with Vegas or something to a cap-friendly deal.

A smaller chance of a change would be if he traded Canucks roster players at the deadline for a lacklustre return, then those pieces become core to a Stanley Cup run (like Steve Pearce for the Red Sox this year). Think Ben Hutton for a 3rd rounder, and then Hutton becomes a PPG player and wins the Conn Smythe.

Benning needs to be put in a position to fail. The best way to do this is to generate some pressure to win.

I feel like I need to start a "pro-let's-just-enjoy-being-average" thread.

This has always been the secret to peace and contentment for the Canucks fan.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
This has always been the secret to peace and contentment for the Canucks fan.

I'm not sure if this is a jab at me, implying that I am happy with the team being mediocre. I am absolutely not. I just believe that tank after tank isn't the way to build a team. Since this thread loves to compare the current Canucks roster with the Jets roster, I thought I'd compile a list of players the Jets drafted during their tank. Since they didn't want to be a middling mushy middle team with no hope. Oh wait...they were.

Using the Jets as a blueprint here's the places they finished and who they drafted:

DraftSeason RankJetsNux
201124thScheifle (7)Jensen (29)
201219thTrouba (12)Gaunce (26)
201319thMorrissey (12)Horvat (9)
Shinkaruk (24)
201422thEhlers (9)Virtanen (6)
201512thConner (17)Boeser (23)
201625thLaine (2)Juolevi (5)
201719thVesalainen
Traded down to 24
withVegas*
Pettersson (5)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In the Winnipeg era, before last season, when they were legitimate SC Contenders, they only made the playoffs once and only drafted in the top 5 one time (won the lottery).

Yes it helps that every player drafted has become a player on the roster. But this was a team that was manufactured outside of the first round. They already inherited Wheeler and Buff, turned Kane and Bogosian into Armia and Myers, drafted and developed a #1 goalie, and kept enough draft and prospect currency to add for their run.

I'm not saying this team is competitive. Not even close. But I'm ready to start building a winning culture and cheering for my team again.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm not sure if this is a jab at me, implying that I am happy with the team being mediocre. I am absolutely not. I just believe that tank after tank isn't the way to build a team. Since this thread loves to compare the current Canucks roster with the Jets roster, I thought I'd compile a list of players the Jets drafted during their tank. Since they didn't want to be a middling mushy middle team with no hope. Oh wait...they were.

Using the Jets as a blueprint here's the places they finished and who they drafted:

DraftSeason RankJetsNux
Shinkaruk (24)
201719thVesalainen
Traded down to 24
withVegas*
Pettersson (5)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In the Winnipeg era, before last season, when they were legitimate SC Contenders, they only made the playoffs once and only drafted in the top 5 one time (won the lottery).

Yes it helps that every player drafted has become a player on the roster. But this was a team that was manufactured outside of the first round. They already inherited Wheeler and Buff, turned Kane and Bogosian into Armia and Myers, drafted and developed a #1 goalie, and kept enough draft and prospect currency to add for their run.

I'm not saying this team is competitive. Not even close. But I'm ready to start building a winning culture and cheering for my team again.
No not at all. I'm dead serious. It's where we have lived historically.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I just believe that tank after tank isn't the way to build a team.

Then why are you even bothering to post in a pro-tank thread? You're not going to change anyone's mind. You're also missing the main point of the tank thread which is to cheer for the team to be so bad that ownership is forced to change the rot that plagues the organization, that being management.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

DraftSeason RankJetsNux
Shinkaruk (24)
201719thVesalainen
Traded down to 24
withVegas*
Pettersson (5)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The major difference is that Winnepeg has aced every single 1st round pick (Logan Stanley book is out but that year they also drafted Laine) since they moved from Atlanta, not to mention their late round finds in Copp Lowry Hellybuck Niku. We have not been acing our 1st rounders in the same way, or converting enough late rounders into NHL regulars.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The major difference is that Winnepeg has aced every single 1st round pick (Logan Stanley book is out but that year they also drafted Laine) since they moved from Atlanta, not to mention their late round finds in Copp Lowry Hellybuck Niku. We have not been acing our 1st rounders in the same way, or converting enough late rounders into NHL regulars.

Funny when those Benning bro's excuse his draft blunders in the top 6 by claiming "nobody bats 1.000"

If he aced those two picks (Nylander/Ehlers over Virtanen, and Tkachuk over Juolevi) this team would be ready to make the playoffs. Of course, everything would also depend on what he did in trades and free agency. That aspect of the job has been a complete, unmitigated disaster.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Winnipeg obviously has the advantage of good karma making up for them not having a franchise for 20+ years. Not comparable.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I'll play devil's advocate just for the sake of debate. What is the point of firing Benning if the attitude of our owner doesn't change? That he doesn't embrace the tank, and continue to make this team "competitive" in the short run.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'll play devil's advocate just for the sake of debate. What is the point of firing Benning if the attitude of our owner doesn't change? That he doesn't embrace the tank, and continue to make this team "competitive" in the short run.

The hope is that he'll fluke into hiring someone who's competent and can make smart decisions regardless of ownership pressures. It's a long-shot for sure, but that long-shot is still better odds than Benning actually doing something competent and turning this ship around.

Reactions: Pavel96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad