Post-Game Talk: THE PRICE IS WRONG - Oilers Lose

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, just figuring that he is the odd man out unless Barrie leaves at years end.
I see. Overall yes but for mondays game if Bouchard is coming in then it would be Bear sitting and not Larsson.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Larsson was the least of our worries today.

Larsson has played much better since the first game imo.

Larsson and Barrie were good to great today.

Larsson had one of his better games in awhile. Barrie was awesome. Prefer to look at some of the things that are developing, and its going to take just a bit of time but people really need to think of the Crosby, Malkin, Letang angle. Because we potentially have that now with Barrie. A tripod that can own pucks for fun. We will become a better possession club with Barrie, and its already tracking in that direction despite the score. The best D is having the puck. Thats where the Oil will find success. I'm looking forward to it because we're going to be seeing some real beauty plays and tic tac toe scoring. But that working together closely takes weeks, not days.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That is selling Yamamoto short IMO. Yamamoto is coming into his own as an offensive player. As I see it, the big 3 is now the big 4 up front. Ideally Jesse and/or Kahun expand on that number, but Yamamoto is no slouch.

Sure, but yama gets negated a lot, people just aren't wanting to see some of that but a lot of instances tonight, and in game 1 where he just got squeezed off pucks and just cannot win those battle no matter how much he tries. Thats they pure physics of it and why 155 lb playing weight is not ideal. Sure theres tons of fight in the dog, but some games its not being enough. teams that have physical D aren't having much trouble with Yama. Thats a pattern, and goes back to the play in series against Chicago. Teams are figuring him out, don't let him dance, put him down on the ice. Happened at least half a dozen times tonight. They're just manhandling Yama. I even wonder if he's hurt already. 3 Games, ton of punishment.

Reactions: Nightrain

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lose, Win, Lose. Hopefully the trend continues for 1 more game. Might want to change it up after that though.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Habs fan coming in peace. You win some, you lose some. Still early.

That said I was impressed with Yamamoto. Always involved, you have a good one there.
Habs are fairly clean team so it will be hard to get the hate on. Looks like rest of Canada will be hating only TML and CGY due to media hype and Tkachuk.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Larsson had one of his better games in awhile. Barrie was awesome. Prefer to look at some of the things that are developing, and its going to take just a bit of time but people really need to think of the Crosby, Malkin, Letang angle. Because we potentially have that now with Barrie. A tripod that can own pucks for fun. We will become a better possession club with Barrie, and its already tracking in that direction despite the score. The best D is having the puck. Thats where the Oil will find success. I'm looking forward to it because we're going to be seeing some real beauty plays and tic tac toe scoring. But that working together closely takes weeks, not days.
Well said.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sure, but yama gets negated a lot, people just aren't wanting to see some of that but a lot of instances tonight, and in game 1 where he just got squeezed off pucks and just cannot win those battle no matter how much he tries. Thats they pure physics of it and why 155 lb playing weight is not ideal. Sure theres tons of fight in the dog, but some games its not being enough. teams that have physical D aren't having much trouble with Yama. Thats a pattern, and goes back to the play in series against Chicago. Teams are figuring him out, don't let him dance, put him down on the ice. Happened at least half a dozen times tonight. They're just manhandling Yama. I even wonder if he's hurt already. 3 Games, ton of punishment.

Yamamoto doubter doubting Yamamoto.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not surprised you didn’t say anything last game where he gave Myers and the rest of the big bad Canucks defense fits. Your constant need to put Yama down as a defense mechanism for Drai is getting to be a bit much.

Reactions: ujju2 and TB12

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
That Nurse Pinch...

Edit - Weird, I cannot embed a gif

EnlightenedEasyFrenchbulldog-size_restricted.gif

4u4u4y

4u4u4y

Last edited:
Reactions: McCombo

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Not the guy I'm putting the blame on - however wanted to point this out

I got a lot of flak for comments I made in the off-season on Kyle Turris but so far he's been exactly what I feared - a shell of himself, floating around out there looking like an older man than he is.

Really need to see more out of him.

He definitely needs to show more offensive flare, but he's made some key defensive plays that have kept the puck out of our net.

Some positives. Barrie showing his tricks tonight, and his 2nd and 3rd periods were great. REally filthy moves, setting up guys, jumping into offense. gonna be sexy when the Oilers figure out what their transition game can be with this guy.

Gut check. Its best to lose a game like this early, just makes the team honest and real easy to coach. A loss like this will buy you a few wins down the road because the players got angry.

LOVE that Darnell Nurse was playing physical and pounding in the 3rd. No problem with the Penalty at that point. bring more of this Darnell. McD did too. even Drai hammered a few people tonight but probably doesn't get any hits awarded.

The Oilers pace was better in 2nd and 3rd, they sped it up got on pucks and gave the Habs defenders fits. Without Price going god mode its a different game.

4K played another good game. Oilers got some speed guys in the mix tonight.

We got a lot of ingredients here except goaltending, plus when we get a guy like Holloway into the lineup its going to make an energy difference.

But I'm thrilled seeing what barrie can out there and he was really causing the Habs defenders problems.

Agree with everything. It's obviously tough to lose against the Habs, but ignoring our defensive breakdowns we actually played OK. We outshot the Habs, had more scoring chances, and high danger scoring chances. Price was the difference tonight. Barrie had his best game as an Oilers, he oozes confidence and is better offensively than any Oiler defensemen in years. Koekkoek's been good and Larsson's had a decent past couple of games.

The issue so far has been more our youngsters on the backend. I'd consider sitting both of Bear and Jones, show them that their roster spots aren't guaranteed.

Nurse - Barrie (That pairing looked good in the third)
Koekkoek - Larsson
Russell - Bouchard

Reactions: shoop and LaGu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad