Post-Game Talk: THE PRICE IS WRONG - Oilers Lose

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For sure. I didn't like his reasoning after the play ins either, "spreading the wealth" is just silly to me.

I try and give people I consider experts the benefit of the doubt, because they most likely have more information available to them than I do. But man, I don't see how any information tells you the Nuge-Drai-Yama is anything but fire.

Colorado just reunited Raantanan McKinnon and Landeskog... They sure are having troubles with one stacked line...

In today's NHL super lines seem pretty effective. Obviously two great lines is likely better but that has not even come close to working for the Oilers despite more than enough attempts.

Smart money is reuniting DRY and while that does some work try different combos with McDavid... who, let's be honest doesn't need much to work with.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Colorado just reunited Raantanan McKinnon and Landeskog... They sure are having troubles with one stacked line...

In today's NHL super lines seem pretty effective. Obviously two great lines is likely better but that has not even come close to working for the Oilers despite more than enough attempts.

Smart money is reuniting DRY and while that does some work try different combos with McDavid... who, let's be honest doesn't need much to work with.

That's what doesn't make sense to me. You put Nuge with Drai and the other team HAS to put their top shut down guys on them. Leaving McDavid up against the rest. If they put their top guys against McDavid, Drai's line feasts. Seems a no brainer to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
One positive outlook on this is that our team is not that different than last season, making it easy for the Habs to prepare for, in a coaching respect. Meanwhile, the Habs are a totally new team and the book on them is not written yet

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
One positive outlook on this is that our team is not that different than last season, making it easy for the Habs to prepare for, in a coaching respect. Meanwhile, the Habs are a totally new team and the book on them is not written yet
Would be nice to get some practices in and video sessions to scout out other teams properly. The only issue is that the schedule is so condensed that our guys might not be able to adapt quick enough. That's my worry, hope they prove us wrong.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Because reuniting that line will fix our defensive play and our shit goaltending? You watched the game so you probably saw how many chances Price saved. Offence wasn't the problem

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
That's what doesn't make sense to me. You put Nuge with Drai and the other team HAS to put their top shut down guys on them. Leaving McDavid up against the rest. If they put their top guys against McDavid, Drai's line feasts. Seems a no brainer to me.

How does it not make sense? Spreading out the offence is better than just stacking one line and being hopeful.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
How does it not make sense? Spreading out the offence is better than just stacking one line and being hopeful.

Because McDavid doesn't need Nuge. I find he plays worse defensively when he has another centre on his line. Regardless of whether he's a winger now, Nuge is a centre and it's hard to not play that way.

Nuge with Drai was incredible and they were winning. They split them and then proceeded to not win. Seems kind of self explanatory to me.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I want to preface this by saying I hate the Oilers breakout (or lack thereof). Pretty much just a hard rim every time. Very few controlled centre ice breakouts. Not sure if that’s a coaching or a personnel thing.

However, if that’s the system they are using (hard rim) then the wingers HAVE to get their ass to the wall. Not partly there, not almost there, ass HAS to be on the wall. How many times are they just waving their sticks at a puck that’s shin high on the wall and miss it. The D man has an easy play to keep it in and get a shot or restart the cycle.

To sum up, I hate the hard rim but if that’s what they’re going to do the wingers have to do their f***ing job.
Seems simple right? I hate the rim round as well, but at least get a guy hugging the boards and then have your C or whatever right there for a quick pass off of theboards. You see other teams do it a lot with ease.

Reactions: TB12

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Barrie is extremely skilled for sure.
The issue is, and has been for the season to this point is, our core as a whole can't defend worth shit. It's early but so far Bear has taken a step back, Larsson is as hit and miss as last year and Jones is simply not a full time NHLer right now.

Now all of that can change, I hope it does but who knows.

I could see this team be very hit or miss and allowing a crap ton of goals this year. For sure we will score a crap ton so I think a winning record is likely but this team defensively doesn't seem there.

It's extremely early and defense often takes a bit more to get back into the flow.

I'd say the thing the team should focus on for the next few is to clean up in their own end and work on their possession game as of right now they are bottom 5 in the league for it and they shouldn't be. It's definitely something they can and should clean up.

Goaltending will suck all year but with Covid there is very little that can be done now to fix that
I think you can still tough it out if you have structure. That video I posted yesterday.... The Oilers D runs back tot he puck after a faceoff win and whips it along the boards. Every Oilers looks shocked and starts racing to the boards too late. Like, don't they have systems in place?

Don't they say, "Hey, after a faceoff, get to the boards wingers". They just look like thy don't know what they are doing. No Cohesion or system in place back there. It is a free for all. I blame some of the forwards too. Some of them are not coming back enough. They spread out too much after the fire drill is over. It is so annoying watching Nurse or somebody else fire a long bomb to a STATIONARY guy at centre ice lol. Nothing comes of it. Retreat.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you can still tough it out if you have structure. That video I posted yesterday.... The Oilers D runs back tot he puck after a faceoff win and whips it along the boards. Every Oilers looks shocked and starts racing to the boards too late. Like, don't they have systems in place?

Don't they say, "Hey, after a faceoff, get to the boards wingers". They just look like thy don't know what they are doing. No Cohesion or system in place back there. It is a free for all. I blame some of the forwards too. Some of them are not coming back enough. They spread out too much after the fire drill is over. It is so annoying watching Nurse or somebody else fire a long bomb to a STATIONARY guy at centre ice lol. Nothing comes of it. Retreat.

I feel like winger play along the boards in their own zone has been a huge issue for this team for what feels like forever.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I feel like winger play along the boards in their own zone has been a huge issue for this team for what feels like forever.
100%. Just this year we have a couple goals against just from the wingers screwing it up. They have such a hard time along the boards. weird.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
In this very short sample size, the Oiler are 1 goal behind the league leader in ES goals for. They are also the worst team with 10 ES goals allowed lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In this very short sample size, the Oiler are 1 goal behind the league leader in ES goals for. They are also the worst team with 10 ES goals allowed lol.
Sounds like the Nurse/Bear pairing from last year. Most goals for, most goals against lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad