Post-Game Talk: THE PRICE IS WRONG - Oilers Lose

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What's annoying is how our D-core with a healthy Klefbom would actually resemble something NHL-quality.

Klefbom - Bear
Nurse - Barrie
Koekkoek - Larsson

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe this points out that you shouldn't get excited about beating (badly) this version of the Canucks. Should instead get worried that you could actually lose to them.

Not winning the Markstrom derby might be a key factor in your season.

Anyhow have lots of games still against us so that should comfort everyone.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Aside from the atrocity that our defensive play from the d-men on out has been, there is another issue rearing its head again that we saw all too often last season:

Kyle Turris - 0G 0A 0P -4
Jesse Puljujarvi - 0G 0A 0P -3
Josh Archibald - 0G 0A 0P -2
Alex Chiasson - 0G 0A 0P -3
Tyler Ennis - 0G 0A 0P -3
Jujhar Khaira - 0G 0A 0P -2
Devin Shore - 0G 0A 0P -1
Joakim Nygard - 0G 0A 0P +1

8 players 19 combined games not even a hint of offense

Not a single one of these players is good enough defensively to contribute nothing offensively. We can't rely on McDavid or Draisaitl (or both) to put up 3+ points in order to win a game. Someone needs to go out there and score a f***ing goal from the bottom 6.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Not sure what enrages me more:

The hot takes from some posters in the GDT or this absolute shit effort from our team.

Either way, only one guy came prepared and it was Yamamoto. Guy is class and leads by example. I thought Nygard had a good game too, I really like his speed. Pretty sure if he gets some more looks he will be set as our 4th line winger.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He was good while here, but he went to another level in Montreal.

This is a Boyd Petry approved post.

boyd-petry.JPG

Seriously, he gets better every season. He really took off in 2017. Happy he took a discount to stay in Montreal. On the UFA market he would have gotten a bit more than 6.25 and most importantly, a better term.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe this points out that you shouldn't get excited about beating (badly) this version of the Canucks. Should instead get worried that you could actually lose to them.

Not winning the Markstrom derby might be a key factor in your season.

Anyhow have lots of games still against us so that should comfort everyone.
Your team is trash, why are you here?

Reactions: TB12 and shoop

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Habs fan coming in peace: this was a rollercoaster of a game! The score definitely did not reflect what transpired. You guys were all over us after that first period and I fully expect you guys to come back stronger than ever in a couple of days (you guys are always a very tough match up for us).

Here’s looking forward to some awesome games between our clubs (even considering you’re always a tough matchup) and hopefully a fun, little rivalry :) Either way, best of luck to you guys (not that you’ll be needing it)!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
This is a Boyd Petry approved post.

boyd-petry.JPG

Seriously, he gets better every season. He really took off in 2017. Happy he took a discount to stay in Montreal. On the UFA market he would have gotten a bit more than 6.25 and most importantly, a better term.
I'm happy for you and have a question.

Do you guys frequently visit the other team's forum and post random stuff? You're not the first one today.

Reactions: TB12 and Balakay14

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Habs fan coming in peace: this was a rollercoaster of a game! The score definitely did not reflect what transpired. You guys were all over us after that first period and I fully expect you guys to come back stronger than ever in a couple of days (you guys are always a very tough match up for us).

Here’s looking forward to some awesome games between our clubs (even considering you’re always a tough matchup) and hopefully a fun, little rivalry :) Either way, best of luck to you guys (not that you’ll be needing it)!

No need to be nice, you made us your &^%$# tonight and we are back to typical oilers 5 on 5 choking.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Jones needs to take a sit for a few games. It's bit concerning that how often he's getting exposed in a sub 20 min role. I think it's time to release the starfish.

Perhaps Bouchard should get in too, though I'd prefer to see Bear in a reduced role first vs. out of the lineup all together.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm happy for you and have a question.

Do you guys frequently visit the other team's forum and post random stuff? You're not the first one today.

They're just really insecure. I think most of them deep down are worried that the hype won't match reality.

It's actually going to be something to see, two Canadian teams by default make the semis and both lose in them (my prediction). I'm not convinced by any of these teams. The reason this division is competitive is because none of the teams in it are actual contenders, and at best are painfully average.

In no order:

Oilers - very top heavy (top 3-4 forwards), better depth than before (particularly forward depth) but not enough strong D. Barrie should be at least 2nd or 3rd best D on a team IMO. Need an actual 1B goalie for Koskinen who is average

Flames - average team throughout, no real gamebreakers. Players seem to wilt in the playoffs. Markstrom probably their best goalie in ages but is it enough? See the no real game-breakers for the answer

Canucks - decent forward depth and their top 6 is above average (Petterson is arguably one of the better forwards in the division but not consistent). D seems average, Hughes needs more experience and may be a bit light to become truly elite. (IMO Elite 1D is a full package like Pronger, Piet, etc). Goaltending seems suspect, Holtby probably gets a bit better as he goes but Demko is a big unknown. Oilers made him look pretty bad the other night

Habs - average team throughout, average D, elite goaltender. Webber and Petry are good for sure, but Webber is a bit lower for a 1D as he ages and Petry is one of the best 2nd pair D IMO. If their forwards continue to develop I can see them being a St Louis Blues at their peak (no gamebreakers but just really solid top 9), and could potentially win a Cup in a similar situation

Leafs - see Oilers with better goaltending. Who knows?

Jets - a lot like the Habs but worse D but better top end forwards

Sens - accelerated rebuild that will play spoiler but unlikely to place in the playoffs this year unless a couple teams really implode in the stretch

Reactions: oilers'72 and shoop

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
We need to mixup the D pairings, Bear is getting exposed on the first pair.

Nurse-Barrie
4K-Larsson
Russell-Bear
I am generally against changing up too much early on, probably even more-so this year due to the circumstances with almost on pre-season. But I think you're right, at least for top 4. Jones needs to be 3rd pair or sit a game, Koekkoek deserves his place. I kind of thought our 3rd pair this year would have been Jones/Bear, but then Bear had his break-through last season. I still don't mind it though, they played good together in the past.

In my view, your top pairs make a lot of sense, Nurse/Barrie as a pair has a high ceiling if it works. Koekkoek/Larsson would put together 2 Ds who both had a couple good games.

edit: so not to change too much (taking off/bringing in new players) I'd go with:
Nurse Barrie
Koekkoek Larsson
Jones Bear

Reactions: Oilhawks

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
No need to be nice, you made us your &^%$# tonight and we are back to typical oilers 5 on 5 choking.
IMO you guys were all over us in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Do remember this was also your 3rd game in 4 nights (and our first in 3). You guys will bounce back and give us hell next game (and I look forward to be at the edge of my seat). Have faith!

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Jesus H. We're three games in, and the "coming in peace" posts have started.

On a whim, I fired "peace" into the search function to see what turned up, and came across this:
Flames fan coming in peace.

It ****ing hurts. It is ****ing excrutiating to read that post, and aside from a couple of names that would make it obvious, and not immediately realising it was made five ****ing years ago.

Reactions: Del Preston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad