The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Patrick Laine will score goals, and I expect him to do most of his damage on the PP, but 5x5 is different.

He also doesn't drive his line, and most plays are not driven through him, rather they are finished by him, mostly with the man advantage.

He just doesn't have the game in my opinion to score 100, let alone 130??

This is not to say he cannot get better, but he does not look to have that kind of impact on the game.

His peak to me is 55 goals, and possibly 35 assists. This would not be a consistent year by year thing, more like a "if all goes perfect" year. I just don't see the 5 tool package type power forward. I could imagine we see a 60 goal season if PERFECTION happens, but the assists will not be high.

However, who the hell really knows lol none of us on HFBoards for sure

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I'm positive that Laine will break 100 points at least once in his career.

In his peak i think 60 or even 70 goals are realistic expectations for him with 30+ assist's.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer

In his peak i think 60 or even 70 goals are realistic expectations for him with 30+ assist's.
The thought that he's going to hit 70 is by far the most unrealistic thing ive ever heard about hockey. I love Laine's skill set but its complete fantasy to think hes going to out score OVI when the rules are much different now that don't allow that level of goal scoring. So if a MAJOR rule change comes into play, sure. But 60 is peak which could be attainable, but as we've seen recently its becoming impossible to score 50 goals.... its not 2005 anymore so get with the times. With the core Peg has, he might muster a 100 point season. But the amount of tools Peg has its HIGHLY unlikely that he scores 100, since Peg scores by commity not just a couple players scoring high amounts of points.....

Reactions: Mr Hat

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine last summer added muscle (perhaps too much), this summer his training has been on losing a bit of weight and gaining skating speed specifically the first 3-5 steps.......if he’s successful he will absolutely increase his point totals. One day I could see him him getting 100+ points......130+ is only in the range for McDavid no one else.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Goals, first assists, second assists are all points. Who gives a **** who gets the most points? I want the guy with the most value (granted it's a lot more complicated than that because variance is a huge part of the game).

I don't want to be overzealous, but I recommend not to sleep on Laine. Here is him so far:

2015-16 Liiga Rookie of the Year.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Points Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff MVP and Champion.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Record Setter for Most Playoff Goals By a Rookie.
2016 World Junior All Star Team.
2016 World Junior Gold Medal.
2016 World Junior Goals Leader.
2015 U-18 All Star Team.
2015 U-18 Silver Medal.
2015 U-18 Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship MVP.
2016 World Championship Silver Medal.
2016 World Championship All-Star Team.
2016 World Championship, IIHF Directorate Award for Best Forward.
2016 World Championship, Award for Top 3 Player on Team.
2016 World Championship Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Goals by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Points by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
Highest Point Total by a U-18 Player at a World Championship Tournament (Previous record doubled).
Youngest player ever to score three hat tricks in the NHL
Fastest 18 Year-old to achieve 30 goals in the NHL (era-adjusted)
Led the league in PP goals as a U20 player (only player to reach 20 PP goals in 17-18 season)
3rd European teenager ever to reach 100 career points in the NHL
Longest point streak by a teenager in NHL history at 14 games
Scored 40 goals in less ice-time than anyone in the NHL since ice-time has been recorded (44 Goals averaging 16:29 TOI)

A lot of people are fooled because not many 18 year-olds enter the NHL so we don't get to see the suck-ass seasons while they grow up.

One thing gets seldom mentioned is that according to the current xGoals data, Laine is out-of-this-world a better shooter than anybody else. He is not a volume shooter, he is a sniper in the purest sense of the word. Combine that with physical maturity and mobility...

It's ****ng game over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deam78 and Hasa92

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Once he can play 20+ minutes on a regular basis with Scheifele, I see no reason why he couldn't crack 100 points when a guy like Wheeler managed to get 91 points in a similar situtation.

Reactions: Hasa92 and mattihp

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wont say it will never happen. But he has a lot to improve on. And the Jets will need to play him in a way that props him up, not makes him a secondary 5v5 threat.

AKA staple him to Scheifele + he gets a bit stronger and faster and he might do it.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Goals, first assists, second assists are all points. Who gives a **** who gets the most points? .

Mostly people who are fans of players who score more goals than assists. Somehow they have to create this false idea that goals are worth more.

It's cute really. But nothing more.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That is true. Possibly he will get more ice time when he is ready for it.

It sounds like he's in shape for next season and has added new elements to his training.

I'm excited to see him show more of his prime potential and have a better shot at more minutes next season.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna

70 goals [mod]? Bouncing between 40 and 55 is more likely and still amazing but he's not going to overtake OV as the GOAT. Get real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Garthinater

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He’s just too slow, in both foot speed and decision making to have that kind of impact. In his absolute prime I can see him going PPG, but that’s about it.
Agreed his skating is absolute garbage. He won't be anywhere near the level of say Kovalchuk or Ovechkin due to his deficiency in skating. Shooting alone won't get you to their level.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He's ahead of Ovechkin at same age by 80 goals on NHL totals. If he goes 40+ for the next 20 years he will break 800.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad