The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I just don’t see the playmaking skills honestly. I think it’s more likely he gets 60 goals than 40 assists.

I think he’s an underrated passer. Kessel was always tabbed as a goalscoring forward but he’s a much better passer than he is a scorer. Don’t think Laine is as good at playmaking as Kessel but I definitely see similarities in their passing game as wingers.

40 assists don’t seem like a whole lot but again Laine shots a lot more than he passes so who knows. I think he will definitely hit 40 assists a couple times for sure.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wheeler will be 32 before the next season starts. You have to wonder how many good years he’s got left. I’d say 2-3 years. I don’t see him beating his career high that he just got last season. Doubt he hits 90 ever again. It was a bit of a perfect season for Wheeler. He almost doubled his previous in PP points from 21 to 40 and PP points.

Most forwards do not have career highs in their thirties, he’s a bit of an exception. It will be interesting to see how he fares and what sort of contract Winnipeg gives him.

I know how old Wheeler is and part of why I used could, not will.

Though even just prime Scheifele gives Laine somewhat of a chance, and they have plenty of winger options to test next to them, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor& Vesalainen.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know how old Wheeler is and part of why I used could, not will.

Though even just prime Scheifele gives Laine somewhat of a chance, and they have plenty of winger options to test next to them, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor& Vesalainen.

Yeah, if he plays with Scheifele on ES, 40 should be a breeze. He had 28 in his rookie season and he missed 9 games. Could easily happen next season even if he doesn’t play with Scheifele.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
If Crosby/OV/Malkin couldn’t hit 140 in a higher scoring era, what on earth makes you believe that Laine would hit it in this era?

Not trying to be an ass but he is not on any of their levels. So if they couldn’t, how could he?

For him to hit 100, he needs assists, and from what we have seen so far, he is not someone who racks up a lot of assists, so that right there debunks the whole 100 point argument. He isn’t going to score 65-70 goals to make up for his lack of assists, so there is no way he is hitting 100.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
If Crosby/OV/Malkin couldn’t hit 140 in a higher scoring era, what on earth makes you believe that Laine would hit it in this era?

Not trying to be an ass but he is not on any of their levels. So if they couldn’t, how could he?

For him to hit 100, he needs assists, and from what we have seen so far, he is not someone who racks up a lot of assists, so that right there debunks the whole 100 point argument. He isn’t going to score 65-70 goals to make up for his lack of assists, so there is no way he is hitting 100.

Well the amount of assists wasnt his fault last year, just saying

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As A jet fan I don't see Laine ever scoring about 100 points. I've watch every game he has played and he is one of the best pure goal scores since Ovi in his prime. Problem is the rest of his game hurts the Jets and does not help them. He is not a complete hockey player yet. If he can get there then he can be a power forward in this league that will score 100 but right now I don't see it. TBH if Laine wasn't such a great goal scorer I say he would of needed a year in the AHL like Conner did.

Laine is not in the McDavid conversation at all and probably not in the Matthews or Barkov or the Mack conversation yet. Can he get there? Yes. But will he? Not so sure. I Believe this even if he becomes a 50 goal scorer and wins a Rocket Trophy. I think that Laine can be one of the greatest goal scores since OVI but he has a long way to go to be a good hockey player like Ovi was/is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoCanes

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Just came up to my mind while I was watching his all 44 goals video third time today. I think it's very possible for him to start scoring over 100 points a season regulary. Maybe prime Laine would reach 130-140p, i think only sky is the limit for this guy.

Honorable mention: Matthews and Mcdavid could also get to 130-140 points if all goes well.
Go back to playing NHL 18 on ps4 bud. Not a single player in the league today can score over 120 points let alone 130-140 with how the rules and equipment are.
Neither Crosby or Ovi score 130 and are far ahead of Laine as a player. Such a fun fantasy post to get through the summer.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I just can't see Laine as a 100 point player.
Goal scoring and point totals are 2 different things.
He'll score a lot of goals, but I can't see 100 points.
And don't worry, I think Matthews falls short too.
And 130 - 140 is just straight up absurd :shakehead. I don't even see McDavid getting that.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
I see him as a 55-30-85 player in his prime, need to be more creative and improve his playmaking abilities to get a crack at 100.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Usually European players have a huge jump in their production in their 3rd NHL seasons. Just look at Jagr who Laine outscored in his first 2 seasons. Jagr had 57 and 69 Points his first 2 seasons and then jumped to 99 Points in his 3rd season. His assists also skyrocketed to 60 in his 3rd season despite never putting up more than 37 before that. So there's still hope for Laine that he can turn things around.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
pretty much nonexistent

the guy has two full seasons in the league now and he's a 70 point guy

i'd be surprised if he ever broke 90 let alone 100

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
If he can manage a 65 goal season some year he has an outside chance of 100pts. Most years I'd guess he falls between 80-85 pts with maybe a few 90pt years mixed in. He's absolutely capable of 50-55 goal seasons on the regular but the assist count remains to be seen.

Nobody other than McDavid has a chance of going past 120pts these days IMO. Pretty safe to say Laine certainly never will.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
pretty much nonexistent

the guy has two full seasons in the league now and he's a 70 point guy

i'd be surprised if he ever broke 90 let alone 100
Matthews must be a 60 point guy then, what good logic!

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Laine can still improve a lot. If he plays with an elite center, he could become a regular 100 pts scorer. 140 seems out of reach for anyone though. That would take 60 goals and 80 assists or something like that. Nobody is head and shoulders above everyone like this nowadays.

Anyway, I do feel his talent is rather underrated by majority of posters.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I just can't see Laine as a 100 point player.
Goal scoring and point totals are 2 different things.
He'll score a lot of goals, but I can't see 100 points.
And don't worry, I think Matthews falls short too.
And 130 - 140 is just straight up absurd :shakehead. I don't even see McDavid getting that.

I agree that Laine or Matthews will never get to that level but I think McDavid can. I believe he can be that good. If McDavid ever gets wingers that can cash in on his play then yes McDavid can do it.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
There are many parallels I see between Laine with Scheifele and Wheeler. In Scheifele’s first three years it looked like he couldn’t stay on his skates to save his life. In those same years, Wheeler, also 6’5" like Laine, looked painfully slow and lumbering.

Both eventually overcame their skating weaknesses and became part of the nhl elite. The question about Laine is his skating: he also has trouble staying on his skates, and looks painfully slow and lumbering. Still, he scored better than most. And, he’s 20 years old.

If (when) he fixes his skating, the sky is the limit. Will he ever reach 130/140 points. Very unlikely, but 100 points is possible.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->