The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've mentioned more than a few times that I think goal scoring will continue to rise and I can see by the end of the 20's where we're up a G/GP (both teams combined) but even at that, 130 points is a gigantic step forward.
We may see those types of number again from players but I doubt anyone currently playing will be one of them.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I agree, Laine definitely could score 100 points if he gets the support he needs.

Because <30 assists proves he isn't.

And before you say that he plays with bad players who can't finish, there are plenty of players in the league that play with TRASH compared to what Laine does, and still put up more assists.
Could have had 50 assists if Ehlers had any finish.

Reactions: Psych0dad

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I agree, Laine definitely could score 100 points if he gets the support he needs.

Could have had 50 assists if Ehlers had any finish.

Yup, always thought Ehlers had a decent/good shot but his ability to finish from breakaways is just staggering and not in a good way. I'm not sure if I remember even single time he has been able to finish after being sent on the breakaway by Laine. Anyway, he's a good winger but a shoot first which isn't ideal for someone like Laine who would greatly benefit from a good/elite playmaker (which he has none apart from Stastny last year).

Laine definitely has the ability to score 100 points if he played top line minutes, no questions asked. You can only do so much with limited ice time though. Hopefully that will change come 18-19.

Reactions: Psych0dad

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Scrubs like Kucherov and Giroux were not even 30 point players at Laines age. People often dont remember his age. I wouldnt bet against Laine ever but 130 is probably too much. Laine cant hit 100 every season but probably can have few 100-point seasons

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Change coaches. Play on the 1st line. Play with players he meshes with and can finish his passes. Relegate other players to give him preferential treatment.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If a team cared more about Laine scoring than winning games, maybe 110. I'm talking double shifting on the PP, getting fed every single offensive zone start the coach can reasonably give him, letting his line cheat defensively etc.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Change coaches. Play on the 1st line. Play with players he meshes with and can finish his passes. Relegate other players to give him preferential treatment.

Best player get used most because using them more than worse players, equals to better results as a team.

It's weird that you don't get that. All the best players play the most minutes but you for some reason don't want to see Laine in the 1st even though him and Scheifele together is by far the most productive way to use both. And the more they produce the more Jets win. It is in Jets best interest to get the most out of their best producers.

What part of that is unclear?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If a team cared more about Laine scoring than winning games, maybe 110. I'm talking double shifting on the PP, getting fed every single offensive zone start the coach can reasonably give him, letting his line cheat defensively etc.

Laine is +32 (5 on 5) since he started his NHL career. Leads the team or tied with Scheifele.

He doesn't cheat defensively, he has been the best defensive winger out of the top 4 (Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler). The more Laine plays, the greater the chance of winning. He makes the best positive impact, so naturally he should be used more.

Reactions: 1OApick

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I think the tone of this thread was set as soon as you said you'd watched the Laine compilation 3 times in a single day.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Best player get used most because using them more than worse players, equals to better results as a team.

It's weird that you don't get that. All the best players play the most minutes but you for some reason don't want to see Laine in the 1st even though him and Scheifele together is by far the most productive way to use both. And the more they produce the more Jets win. It is in Jets best interest to get the most out of their best producers.

What part of that is unclear?

That's a simplistic view of team building but you're not exactly looking at this from a rational position. Laine plays where the team benefits most. Balanced lineups win not thos that favor star players in a stat pumping exercise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine is +32 (5 on 5) since he started his NHL career. Leads the team or tied with Scheifele.

He doesn't cheat defensively, he has been the best defensive winger out of the top 4 (Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler). The more Laine plays, the greater the chance of winning. He makes the best positive impact, so naturally he should be used more.

You get a -2 for using plus minus as a definitive stat as well as saying he's a better defensive player than Wheeler.

Reactions: Garthinater

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That's a simplistic view of team building but you're not exactly looking at this from a rational position. Laine plays where the team benefits most. Balanced lineups win not thos that favor star players in a stat pumping exercise.

It is a simplistic view because it's a very simple issue.

If your objective is to dig a trench and you get to use one tool 2 hours and one tool 1 hour, and your options are an excavator and shovel, you use the excavator for 2...not the other way around.

Team benefits the most when Laine and Scheifele play together and the most minutes. They are the excavators, the others are shovels. It is best for the team, statistically, to use their best positive difference makers the most.

It means more wins for the team.

You have this strange vision that you serve the team better by leaving a ton of goals in the bench, just for "reasons". It is not a rational position.

The ones who can produce the biggest positive goal difference for the Jets, should obviously play the most. It's not taking anything away from the Jets if Laine and Scheifele production is maximized. It only benefits the Jets because you win more that way.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
You get a -2 for using plus minus as a definitive stat as well as saying he's a better defensive player than Wheeler.

He is a better defensive player than Wheeler but that is mainly due to role. Wheeler goes to offensive corners, Laine has been tasked to stay under the play (he is mostly the first fwd back on defense when a turnover happens in o-zone). Laines bad defensive play is a total myth, he doesn't get scored against much.

People also completely ignore some of Wheelers re-occurring flaws that make him a bit of a liability at times. He was in the minus in the playoffs, 5 on 5 play. His legend exceeds his skills. That's normal though, he is the captain and an exemplary attitude player who leaves it all out there.

It is much more important for the Jets to get shots on net by Laine, than any other winger. He far exceeds the others in converting chances to goals. And goals win games. It's certainly in Jets best interest to maximize the biggest weapon they have.

Reactions: 1OApick

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Just came up to my mind while I was watching his all 44 goals video third time today. I think it's very possible for him to start scoring over 100 points a season regulary. Maybe prime Laine would reach 130-140p, i think only sky is the limit for this guy.

Honorable mention: Matthews and Mcdavid could also get to 130-140 points if all goes well.
No. I don’t think anyone scores 140 in todays NHL, not even McDavid. Laine is a goalscorer first and foremost (as is Matthews for that matter) so that does hurt their ability to put up raw points (easier to pot assists then goals). I see both Laine and Matthews as being more likely to have their peak years fall in the 90 point range, unless scoring rates in the NHL go up again.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just came up to my mind while I was watching his all 44 goals video third time today. I think it's very possible for him to start scoring over 100 points a season regulary. Maybe prime Laine would reach 130-140p, i think only sky is the limit for this guy.

Honorable mention: Matthews and Mcdavid could also get to 130-140 points if all goes well.
Laine needs more ice time to do it. Likely an increase of about 25% per game.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad