The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I believe the Jets upcoming cap crunch will go a long ways towards deciding whether Laine will be scoring 100 points in his career. Is it feasible that the Jets will sign all of Connor, Laine and Wheeler to big contracts with Ehlers already under one? That's too much money to be tied up in wingers IMO. There will be an odd man out, and it could very well be Laine.

He is their franchise player, Scheifele is another.

The rest are great to have but secondary in importance.

If they run into cap issues, they won't extend the old guy. They will keep the young ones.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He is their franchise player, Scheifele is another.

The rest are great to have but secondary in importance.

If they run into cap issues, they won't extend the old guy. They will keep the young ones.

It would bode well for the Finnish fans to see Wheeler walk because Laine would assuredly get big minutes beside Scheifele at ES. Unfortunately I sincerely doubt they're letting their captain walk.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It would bode well for the Finnish fans to see Wheeler walk because Laine would assuredly get big minutes beside Scheifele at ES. Unfortunately I sincerely doubt they're letting their captain walk.

Laine is a LW, Wheeler walking doesn't do him any favors. Laine is also better on RW so it shouldn't have any effect.

Wheeler is going to cost a lot to extend (especially if they keep him feeding Laine and Chef) and he will want a long contract. Jets have a great core of young wingers and hopefully locked up long term at that point.

They might run out of options.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I believe the Jets upcoming cap crunch will go a long ways towards deciding whether Laine will be scoring 100 points in his career. Is it feasible that the Jets will sign all of Connor, Laine and Wheeler to big contracts with Ehlers already under one? That's too much money to be tied up in wingers IMO. There will be an odd man out, and it could very well be Laine.
If that's the case I'd trade Connor no sane gm trades a guy who scored 80 goals in 155 games before he turned 20.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Laine is a LW, Wheeler walking doesn't do him any favors. Laine is also better on RW so it shouldn't have any effect.

Wheeler is going to cost a lot to extend (especially if they keep him feeding Laine and Chef) and he will want a long contract. Jets have a great core of young wingers and hopefully locked up long term at that point.

They might run out of options.
Wheeler is great but would you rather save that 8 million? Jets have so many good wingers so I don't feel like paying that much to one player unless it's Laine.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Wheeler is great but would you rather save that 8 million? Jets have so many good wingers so I don't feel like paying that much to one player unless it's Laine.

I personally don't see Wheeler as $8 million value. So I would not offer that. If he signs a shorter term 3 years for 6+ a year I would keep him. Around current Ehlers contract money is fair to a career 70pt winger who is going to be past his prime soon.

But this is about Laine scoring 100 pts and as long as he plays in first, shouldn't be a problem. Really depends on his usage.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I personally don't see Wheeler as $8 million value. So I would not offer that. If he signs a shorter term 3 years for 6+ a year I would keep him. Around current Ehlers contract money is fair to a career 70pt winger who is going to be past his prime soon.

But this is about Laine scoring 100 pts and as long as he plays in first, shouldn't be a problem. Really depends on his usage.

Do you really see the Jets making such an insulting offer to their captain coming off a career year?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Do you really see the Jets making such an insulting offer to their captain coming off a career year?

We don't know what kinda year he will have. His contract is up after next season.

I don't think they will make that offer to him. I said I would.

I'm quite sure they will overpay several million a year and for a long term.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
We don't know what kinda year he will have. His contract is up after next season.

I don't think they will make that offer to him. I said I would.

I'm quite sure they will overpay several million a year and for a long term.

You don't know what kind of year he's going to have but yet are certain Laine will hit 100 points?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
You don't know what kind of year he's going to have but yet are certain Laine will hit 100 points?

No I'm not certain Laine will hit 100 pts. Without injuries and full 1st line duty I say he breaks it but those are not guaranteed conditions.

Laine in 1st could also possibly mean Wheeler in 2nd (if Maurice keeps on insisting Laine on RW). That would naturally drop Wheelers numbers and it wouldn't be near a career year. It would be a good indicator what he could do in that position, that's what they want him for in the long run.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I can see Laine as a point a game player at his peak scoring 50 but I don't see him getting much more unless the Jets find a way to get more powerplays.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
No one will score 130 anytime soon. Hell, the best guys in the entire league have had a hard time breaking 100 for a looong time. And the last time anyone reached 130 was in 1995-96 by brothertrucking Mario Lemieux. 22 years and it took an NHL all-time legend to pull it off.

We won't see 130 in the next 15 years unless there is a huge rule change.

Reactions: sharks9

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It depends on how the game is played going fwd. But in a career year, like Ovie. If Laine scores 60 as a career high. Not impossible given he has 44 in 16 mins of ice time, and without playing with Scheifele 5 v 5, it is very possible. Laine can go 60-40 100 pts in a career year. Laine has barely scratched the surface of his abilities. All we have seen thus far is what he can do as a teenage player, more to come.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Laine is a rare case.

He’s not that elite of a playmaker or skater for a star but has an amazing shot, some pretty damn slick moves and so much talent around him.

Laine IMO is most definitely an elite play-maker.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Laine won't get to 100 simply because he scores goals but doesn't rack up assists. he'll get 80 and maybe 90 but not 100

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think its already been said, but Laine doesnt crack 100 in a season unless scoring goes up more. 130 is not in the realm of possibility unless they make insane rule changes.

With that said, he's still a damn good player that I would give just about anything to have on my team. I see him as a 50-40 guy max at his prime. So a damn good player.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Actually went back and read a good number of these posts and I'm pretty sure more than a couple of you guys are completely stoned. 70 goals? 140 points? Are you outside of your minds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad