The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Agreed his skating is absolute garbage. He won't be anywhere near the level of say Kovalchuk or Ovechkin due to his deficiency in skating. Shooting alone won't get you to their level.

It will be extremely fun dismantling your posting history when he puts up 60+ goals and over 100 pts. It actually is already considering results.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Will you stick around when he doesn't or will you hibernate?

I never hibernate. I get forced to.

Will remember yours too ;)

Hear that?

tenor.gif

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan 130-140 is absolutely impossible. 100 is unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Many players struggle to score Assists in there early years, just look at Scheifele or Barkov(they where no better at playmaking than Laine is now in there two first seasons, so I believe it’s entirely possible he becomes a 40 Assist type player)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It will be extremely fun dismantling your posting history when he puts up 60+ goals and over 100 pts. It actually is already considering results.
Well I remember reading you predicting a 100+ point prediction for Laine from you last year and it turned out my prediction was more accurate :laugh:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Well I remember reading you predicting a 100+ point prediction for Laine from you last year and it turned out my prediction was more accurate :laugh:

Nobody challenges the scoring race from second line. That was always the condition for the prediction. I still say he gets there in 1st line and hopefully next season we get to see that finally. When we do, there's a world record amount of crow being delivered.

Maybe start building up taste for crow.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nobody challenges the scoring race from second line. That was always the condition for the prediction. I still say he gets there in 1st line and hopefully next season we get to see that finally. When we do, there's a world record amount of crow being delivered.

Maybe start building up taste for crow.
Well I'm not the one with a horribly failed 100+ point prediction in this predicament so no crow needed over here.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Fat chance Laine gets 130.

I'd be stunned if he gets 100. I think people forget that top offensive threats like Kucherov and McDavid barely get 100. And Laine isn't on their level

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Agreed his skating is absolute garbage. He won't be anywhere near the level of say Kovalchuk or Ovechkin due to his deficiency in skating. Shooting alone won't get you to their level.
Stupid comment that assumes he cannot improve his skating.

I dont think he'll hit 100 points but i am 120% sure that he will be at least a good skater in his prime.

Reactions: mattihp

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Fat chance Laine gets 130.

I'd be stunned if he gets 100. I think people forget that top offensive threats like Kucherov and McDavid barely get 100. And Laine isn't on their level

Laine hasn’t been givin the opportunity to be on there level. People commonly forget Laine plays for a coach that puts Vets(body of work) over Young guys(talent) and is strict when it comes to playing guys on there hand side Wing. Kind of unfortunately for him his team has Blake Wheeler(a Top 5 league wide RW for the past 5 seasons who is a vet). Honestly wouldn’t doubt Kucherov being in the exact same situation if he where in Winnipeg.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Laine hasn’t been givin the opportunity to be on there level. People commonly forget Laine plays for a coach that puts Vets(body of work) over Young guys(talent) and is strict when it comes to playing guys on there hand side Wing. Kind of unfortunately for him his team has Blake Wheeler(a Top 5 league wide RW for the past 5 seasons who is a vet). Honestly wouldn’t doubt Kucherov being in the exact same situation if he where in Winnipeg.
Multiple things: Connor and Ehlers both get top 6 time, so no, that is a weak excuse.

And honestly the 2nd part is a joke. Kucherov would be the best player on the jets, and would play when and where he would be most effective.
"Oh if McDavid was on the jets he'd be the 2nd line center since he only has 3 years of experience".

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Will he reach the 100 point barrier? Absolutely. Does he do that regularly? Who can tell at this point, but I'd be more surprised if he didn't have back to back 100 pts seasons than the opposite somewhere down the line. In order to reach it he will need what he hasn't been getting so far, prime ice time. So while I'd like to be optimistic about Laine unlocking the three digits next season already, I'm also wary about how the roster unfolds on the paper and whether he is again placed on the secondary scoring role. Which isn't at all out of discussion as next season will still have impact on his salary and cap hit for the coming years.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
70 goals [mod]? Bouncing between 40 and 55 is more likely and still amazing but he's not going to overtake OV as the GOAT. Get real.

Maybe not, maybe he will only time will tell.

He will be the goal scorer when Ovi retires and if anyone is going to challenge Ovi, it's Laine.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
He's ahead of Ovechkin at same age by 80 goals on NHL totals. If he goes 40+ for the next 20 years he will break 800.
Unlikely that he would be playing for 20 years with averaging at least 40 goals per season but i could see him doing that for 10-15 years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel like he may eventually be a 50 goal guy, but I don't see him hitting 100 pts.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Matthews must be a 60 point guy then, what good logic!

Why is it that if a Leaf fan (not even sure that guy is one) says anything about Laine, Matthews gets brought up? Are you that insecure?

What that one guy said is true, one small group of posters wildly overrate this kid. 130 points lol

Reactions: Walshy7

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Multiple things: Connor and Ehlers both get top 6 time, so no, that is a weak excuse.

And honestly the 2nd part is a joke. Kucherov would be the best player on the jets, and would play when and where he would be most effective.
"Oh if McDavid was on the jets he'd be the 2nd line center since he only has 3 years of experience".

Firstly, Connor(a 32 Goalscoring 21yr old) was only in the lineup this season because Perreault got injured, secondly Ehlers got promoted to top 6 in his 2nd season because of the lack of skill at LW(and after Ladd left) and took off with it(meaning he outproduced Perreault by a very good margin and Perreault got injured allot, which is what gave both Ehlers and Connor the opportunities they have). Maurice knows Wheeler is one of the leagues best Wingers and he’s a vet who’s been here for a long time to add to that(not to mention he isn’t injury prone like Perreault), Laines in a complete different position from both Ehlers and Connor(though Connor had to work really hard to get where he is now). Just look at Scheifele for example, Maurice had him starving for usage behind Little for half the 2015 season and after the Little injury Scheifele took the 1st line role and became the highest scorer in the league at the second half of that season and is now one of the best Centers in the league today.

Scheifele through the 1st half of the 2015 season had 22 points in the first 35 games(with 17mpg), in the last 36 he had 39pts(with 19mpg) as a result of more usage he had 0.45 more PPG and Laine currently has less usage and compared to that early on Scheifele(as a unproven prospect) we can all acknowledge Laine has more potential.

I agree Kucherov would likely(or rather technically) be the best Jets player if he where on it, but I doubt Maurice would put him above Wheeler on the depth chart for many Maurice like reasons(Vet love, size, work ethic, two-way game and the fact he’s the captain) and his usage and stats would shrink because of it(not gonna jump into how much but it definitely would). Also should note the fact Kucherovs points went up every season he got more usage(plus he had much better qaulity linemates than Laine through his career so far).

To your third part, I think Maurice might had put McDavid at 2C in his rookie season(I doubt that though because people damn well knew he was Generational so he’d likely give him his 1st line usage), but today if Maurice got his hands on McDavid there’s no way he’s not 1C today(because he’s the best in the world and nobody is that stupid to not have him at 1C).

Unlike you I would not be suprised to see Laine score 100 one day(maybe a couple times), due to his dirt low usage and the fact he scored 70 points while having an Elite playmaking Center he’s hardly played with yet and pretty much any type of upper echelon Winger the Jets give him to work with(Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Perreault and the list goes on into future prospects) on his team with the potential of getting up to 5 or maybe even 6 more minutes per game.

That said 130 is out of the question, only McDavid can do that at this point now(unless some prospect out of knowhere becomes another McDavid), Laine will not even sniff that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Where's this mandate coming from that Laine "must" play first line minutes? Maybe he's deployed the way he is for a reason including providing balance in the lineup?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine is a rare case.

He’s not that elite of a playmaker or skater for a star but has an amazing shot, some pretty damn slick moves and so much talent around him.

If he wasn’t in this great position of a powerhouse team with a powerhouse top 6 where he doesent have to face the best skaters being on the second line, not too mention being in his sweet spot on one of the best power plays with elite playmakers.

This all gives him the opportunity to hit any milestone.

But that doesent make him overall better then say scheifele.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I believe the Jets upcoming cap crunch will go a long ways towards deciding whether Laine will be scoring 100 points in his career. Is it feasible that the Jets will sign all of Connor, Laine and Wheeler to big contracts with Ehlers already under one? That's too much money to be tied up in wingers IMO. There will be an odd man out, and it could very well be Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad