The Playoff Picture Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We're still making the playoffs. This roster sucks but I am confident.

Its going to take a lot more than this. If any other team gets hot we are basically screwed. Its dangerous to depend on a WC spot for this reason. As bad as AV's are defensively I think they probably rebound better than us. Minny looks to be on a roll despite last night. We're not catching any of the 3 Pacific positions. We're on pace for 82pts. Normally that is a dozen pts out of the playoffs. One of the other clubs in the pack is going to put it together. I don't see the Oilers having the depth of lineup to be that club. Its possible, I'm not sure its likely.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t disagree with that. I’ve never liked the shootout and never had a problem with ties.

Never had a problem with ties either. But pro sports tend to go where there audience is. Most of the demographic want to see game results, no matter how arbitrary, they want to walk out with a winner decided. I don't comprehend that either as some of the best games I ever witnessed were ties but we live in a gimmick entertainment world. 3on3, shootout. Each time the NHL throws in a new wrinkle its popular for awhile. The interesting thing is the shootout is now fairly universally panned. It had a shelf life and people now generally despise it. This is where collusion comes into play as well. It seems to me that last year or two much more games have been decided in 30n3 and less going to shootouts which are rare now. I'd wonder if teams got a memo encouraging them to try hard to create goals just in the 30n3. If the shootout was still popular among fans I think we'd see more games getting to that phase. Bur right now 30n3 is getting all the love. I can take it or leave it.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Its going to take a lot more than this. If any other team gets hot we are basically screwed. Its dangerous to depend on a WC spot for this reason. As bad as AV's are defensively I think they probably rebound better than us. Minny looks to be on a roll despite last night. We're not catching any of the 3 Pacific positions. We're on pace for 82pts. Normally that is a dozen pts out of the playoffs. One of the other clubs in the pack is going to put it together. I don't see the Oilers having the depth of lineup to be that club. Its possible, I'm not sure its likely.
McDavid and Draisaitl are just too good. We have two goalies that can both perform and, along with our stars, can drag the corpse of the roster into the playoffs. Every other team competing for this spot has just as many holes as we do, but none have the starpower.

All I want is a wildcard spot. To watch the Battle of Alberta in the 1st round would almost make up for the last 12 years.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McDavid and Draisaitl are just too good. We have two goalies that can both perform and, along with our stars, can drag the corpse of the roster into the playoffs. Every other team competing for this spot has just as many holes as we do, but none have the starpower.

All I want is a wildcard spot. To watch the Battle of Alberta in the 1st round would almost make up for the last 12 years.

Getting ****stomped by Calgary of all teams would be the perfect end to this season, really.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
At the very least it means meaningful games. Our last 7 games of the year are against pacific teams, could be an exciting finish. Didn't we squeak into the playoffs in our last game in 2006?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If we're still in the hunt by the time Klefbom returns, we likely make the playoffs.

If it's true that Chia's job is safe if we sneak in, making the playoffs is the worst case scenario for this team. I can't think of anything worse than getting demolished by the Flames in 4 games and having Chia stick around another summer to sewer this team even further.

This team needs to rebuild with a new management team and we need to do it ASAP while McDavid is still young.

Reactions: Little Fury

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm frankly amazed that this team is tied for a WC spot and only 1 point behind WC1 after the terrible last 30 days they've had.

Reactions: Canada Drai

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm glad to see this group is not giving up. Thank you Ottawa, this could get exciting.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm frankly amazed that this team is tied for a WC spot and only 1 point behind WC1 after the terrible last 30 days they've had.
30? We've been horrible for the entire season judging by the amount of bitching on this board.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Thank you Ducks! Tied for wc2 1 point back of Dallas in wc1. This feels so baseball like.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Thank you Ducks! Tied for wc2 1 point back of Dallas in wc1. This feels so baseball like.

That was kind of a lose lose game. Either Minny pulls 2 ahead, or Anaheim joins us in a 3 way tie. I think we at least got the lesser of two evils. We just need to beat Calgary tomorrow and take advantage of our game in hand

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
That was kind of a lose lose game. Either Minny pulls 2 ahead, or Anaheim joins us in a 3 way tie. I think we at least got the lesser of two evils. We just need to beat Calgary tomorrow and take advantage of our game in hand

At this point I figured it was more important that the team we are tied with loses. I was just glad it didn't go to ot. It's amazing how much help the Oilers have had this season. Hopefully they have a little run of wins so they can stop relying on other teams to help every night.

Reactions: Cypress

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Playing Calgary in round 1 would be sweet. Almost ideal tbh. The emotions would run high and you KNOW McDavid and Drai would go off. Definitely have upset potential there compared to like Minnesota let's say.

Worst case scenario, we lose to the top seed like we're supposed to. It's just shitty it's Calgary. Meh I could live with it

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
If we're still in the hunt by the time Klefbom returns, we likely make the playoffs.

If it's true that Chia's job is safe if we sneak in, making the playoffs is the worst case scenario for this team. I can't think of anything worse than getting demolished by the Flames in 4 games and having Chia stick around another summer to sewer this team even further.

This team needs to rebuild with a new management team and we need to do it ASAP while McDavid is still young.
No way we lose to the Flames in 4, we play them well, and they always struggle with our physicality, they are soft. They are probably our optimal match-up IMO

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Playing Calgary in round 1 would be sweet. Almost ideal tbh. The emotions would run high and you KNOW McDavid and Drai would go off. Definitely have upset potential there compared to like Minnesota let's say.

Worst case scenario, we lose to the top seed like we're supposed to. It's just ****ty it's Calgary. Meh I could live with it
I would be the most confident against Calgary out of any solid playoff team in the West.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Where is that sweet middle ground where we get to watch Oilers playoff hockey, yet Chiarelli still gets fired? That’s where I want to land this train wreck.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015

Worst case scenario, we lose to the top seed like we're supposed to. It's just ****ty it's Calgary. Meh I could live with it
totally agree.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Where is that sweet middle ground where we get to watch Oilers playoff hockey, yet Chiarelli still gets fired? That’s where I want to land this train wreck.

Game 82, tied with Minny for the last WC spot. The Oilers lose their final game in OT/SO and Minny loses their final game in regulation. The Oilers squeeze their way into WC2 by virtue of a loser point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad