The Playoff Picture Thread

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Hypothetical: 2 teams are playing their very last game of the season. Both teams need only one point to make the playoffs. They mutually agree to let the game go to overtime, thereby putting them both into the playoffs. What does the league do?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hypothetical: 2 teams are playing their very last game of the season. Both teams need only one point to make the playoffs. They mutually agree to let the game go to overtime, thereby putting them both into the playoffs. What does the league do?

If there was proof of that, I would imagine the NHL void the points for both teams.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Nix the shootout, award 3 points for a win, one for a tie, 0 for a loss.
You're getting away from the whole intent of OTL -- back before they had OTL, teams would just play safe for a tie and OT was actually quite boring. Once they added in the guaranteed point of the OTL, teams felt it was worth it to push harder for the extra point.

3 points - Regulation win
2 points - OT/SO win
1 point - OT/SO loss
0 points - Regulation loss.

Reactions: TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I dont buy into the team sucks bs. People forget what awful looks like even though it was only a couple years ago. I take this team over that team every time. A couple missing pieces is what is keeping us from greatness imo.

Goaltending being the main thing we just need more from overall.

Yeah a 30-40 goal winger and a true #1D man. Easy, right?

As for the state of the team, ask yourself what would happen to this team if Connor McDavid missed any amount of time.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nix the shootout, award 3 points for a win, one for a tie, 0 for a loss.
Why even bother with the 3rd point then? Just keep it two if you nix the shootout. You still have some games worth 3 and some two in your scenario.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You're getting away from the whole intent of OTL -- back before they had OTL, teams would just play safe for a tie and OT was actually quite boring. Once they added in the guaranteed point of the OTL, teams felt it was worth it to push harder for the extra point.

2 points - OT/SO win
1 point - OT/SO loss

Ok, but do they? Remember they went to 3 on 3 because teams were sitting back in OT even with the shootout.

How about this: keep the current OT/SO system but get rid of the extra point entirely. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Ok, but do they? Remember they went to 3 on 3 because teams were sitting back in OT even with the shootout.

How about this: keep the current OT/SO system but get rid of the extra point entirely. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.
The difference between Tie games and OTL significantly improved the quality of play in OT. Some teams just saw they had a better chance to win in the SO and would rope-a-dope until they got there. 3 on 3 stopped that from happening.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Because deciding two points in a shootout is ******ed.

Getting points for losing a game is way more ****ed.

The difference between Tie games and OTL significantly improved the quality of play in OT. Some teams just saw they had a better chance to win in the SO and would rope-a-dope until they got there. 3 on 3 stopped that from happening.

Then, get rid of the shootout and play OT until there's a winner. Awarding 0 points for a loss would incentive teams to push for a win.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah a 30-40 goal winger and a true #1D man. Easy, right?

As for the state of the team, ask yourself what would happen to this team if Connor McDavid missed any amount of time.

I believe this team is missing two twenty goal scorers. Not one superstar.

And a healthy blueline of.

Sekera Russell
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Jones Bouchard
Gravel Bear
Manning Petrovic

Plus other depth guys like Pearson and Lagesson.

It has no #1 but honestly shouldn't need one.

A couple decent scorers and a goalie are the pieces I think are missing. If Lucic goes back to being a 20 goals scorer we just need one scorer and one goalie.

Lots of potential for some scorers but nothing materializing.

And of course without McDavid the team is in serious trouble but it wouldn't surprise if the team did better than expected.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Not sure what we can expect out of Benning or sekera moving forward. I think brining up Bouchard and adding one more legit top 6 dman are needed next season.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

1 points - OT/SO win
0 point - OT/SO loss
Fixed it for you. Don't win, don't get a point. This would make teams push for regular time wins.

Reactions: Little Fury

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Sekera Russell
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Jones Bouchard
Gravel Bear
Manning Petrovic

A couple decent scorers and a goalie are the pieces I think are missing. If Lucic goes back to being a 20 goals scorer we just need one scorer and one goalie.

And of course without McDavid the team is in serious trouble but it wouldn't surprise if the team did better than expected.

I still see Klefbom and Larsson as the top pairing but past that I agree with you whole heartedly.

Reactions: LaGu

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I can't believe the Wild lost. Not sure what to think, Oilers could easily be sitting comfortable in the wild card spot....or they could be 10 points out. They keep blowing chances yet here they still sit only 2 points out of a playoff spot.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Only 2 points out of the show boys! Just need to go on a little run.

McDavid will be a game changer in the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
If there was proof of that, I would imagine the NHL void the points for both teams.

You gotta be kidding me. You think the NHL would do that. The hell they would and the NHL already has seen instances of a ramp up of 3pt games among teams late in the season. Kings once missed the playoffs with 95pts because every team they were competing with had a ton of 3pt games happening. Lots of other examples.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Oh is that all?

Sekera Russell
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Jones Bouchard
Gravel Bear
Manning Petrovic

I see one real top pairing D man in that bunch, a couple of top four guys, 4 5-5D and about 4 guys who shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Not good enough.

LMAO. Let's see if he can get to five first.

Heard that before....

And of course without McDavid the team is in serious trouble but it wouldn't surprise if the team did better than expected

Why? They can't score when McDavid is off the ice, can't defend. If McDavid were out, this team would be the worst in the league hands down.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No it’s not. Losing in a skills competition is not a real loss. They will never decide all the points in a skills comp. It takes away from the integrity of the game.

If the "skills competition" is a joke that "takes away from the integrity of the game" then why have it at all?

If that's the issue go back to ties. If the five minutes of OT are boring, oh well, too bad.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If the "skills competition" is a joke that "takes away from the integrity of the game" then why have it at all?

If that's the issue go back to ties. If the five minutes of OT are boring, oh well, too bad.
I don’t disagree with that. I’ve never liked the shootout and never had a problem with ties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->