The Playoff Picture Thread

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
No way we lose to the Flames in 4, we play them well, and they always struggle with our physicality, they are soft. They are probably our optimal match-up IMO

Yeah I think the Flames are too soft for the playoffs. If the refs don't interfere too much the Oilers are capable of leaning on that team and making them go away.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This game tomorrow is pretty huge...

Every game until the end will be now...if they make it in, they will effectively been playing “playoff” hockey for 3 months.

Can’t afford another prolonged losing streak...if we even would’ve been .500 during those 2 streaks they’d be in good shape, but here we are.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Every game until the end will be now...if they make it in, they will effectively been playing “playoff” hockey for 3 months.

Can’t afford another prolonged losing streak...if we even would’ve been .500 during those 2 streaks they’d be in good shape, but here we are.
Yea.. I always think "What if we won 3 games against shitty teams that we lost against? We would have a nice cushion."

But that ain't Oilers hockey.

Reactions: Faelko

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Playoff Probabilities Report | Hockey-Reference.com

XiScFC5.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At this point I figured it was more important that the team we are tied with loses. I was just glad it didn't go to ot. It's amazing how much help the Oilers have had this season. Hopefully they have a little run of wins so they can stop relying on other teams to help every night.

I feel the exact different. Its bad that the Ducks won and got off their tailspin. they have Fowler and Rakell back and will automatically be better and there is fight in that lineup, we've seen it before.

My view is Ducks and Wild will manage to make playoffs, vet clubs that won't be denied. I think Colorado and Dallas are more the teams lack experience getting in.

In anycase I want the Oilers to have to earn a spot through good play and good results. Not by other clubs falling down. Doesn't matter if we're tied now. It matters in 30 games.

Reactions: Sugi21

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I feel the exact different. Its bad that the Ducks won and got off their tailspin. they have Fowler and Rakell back and will automatically be better and there is fight in that lineup, we've seen it before.

My view is Ducks and Wild will manage to make playoffs, vet clubs that won't be denied. I think Colorado and Dallas are more the teams lack experience getting in.

In anycase I want the Oilers to have to earn a spot through good play and good results. Not by other clubs falling down. Doesn't matter if we're tied now. It matters in 30 games.

Minnesota allowing the Ducks to dominate them and break a 12 game losing streak is the most Oilers thing though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yea.. I always think "What if we won 3 games against ****ty teams that we lost against? We would have a nice cushion."

But that ain't Oilers hockey.

This doesn't provide any cushion at all, but my fear are those final 16 seconds against Anaheim could haunt this team at season's end. Had they held on for the regulation win, it would have the Oilers in WC1 with 50 points as they have the better winning percentage than Dallas and Anaheim would be at 47 points.

If they miss the playoffs by 1 point, what a tragic 16 seconds that will turn out to be.

Reactions: Coffey

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've never seen a stranger playoff probabilities listing than that above. Checked at the site and it does not explain the method used other than 1000 simulations. But what kind of info is stuffed into those simulations? Those ratings scream biax.

Colorado is 65% probability to get in? lmao. They're one point in and have been sinking for months. Man, give me those odds and I would bet against that happening anytime. But the simulation was used in Basketball so maybe it grossly over ranks AV's on basis of one starting unit.

Ducks only 19% probability and behind Nucks and Yotes? That seems based purely on their losing streak and not injury factors relating to it and that they have players back. These simulations are stupid.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
This doesn't provide any cushion at all, but my fear are those final 16 seconds against Anaheim could haunt this team at season's end. Had they held on for the regulation win, it would have the Oilers in WC1 with 50 points as they have the better winning percentage than Dallas and Anaheim would be at 47 points.

If they miss the playoffs by 1 point, what a tragic 16 seconds that will turn out to be.

You can point at every loss if you want to point blame. What about the McDavid goal to tie it with 8 seconds and get us 2 points instead of none? What if those 2 points get us into the playoffs? What a glorious 8 seconds that will turn out to be.

Reactions: tabs and fresh meat

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
You can point at every loss if you want to point blame. What about the McDavid goal to tie it with 8 seconds and get us 2 points instead of none? What if those 2 points get us into the playoffs? What a glorious 8 seconds that will turn out to be.
Optimism is not a trait that most Oiler fans possess.

Reactions: boredem

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I'll be pointing at that specific loss because of the optics of it. That one is the stinger of the season so far for me.

If they make the playoffs by a point or two, then yes we can look at McDavid's goal as a contributing factor for making it in for the reasons you mentioned.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

It absolutely matters that they are tied for a playoff spot right now. It gives the players hope and meaningful hockey. This team has been out of the race by Nov/Dec most years since 07. You don't think that being right in the hunt gives them more motivation at this time of year?

Nothing worse than being 10 points out and knowing you pretty much have no chance. I personally don't care how they get into the playoffs this year, I've watched my team miss a decade and more of playoffs except 1 season.

If it takes the Ducks losing 12 straight, the Wild falling apart I don't care. Just get in, that's what matters to me this season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It absolutely matters that they are tied for a playoff spot right now. It gives the players hope and meaningful hockey. This team has been out of the race by Nov/Dec most years since 07. You don't think that being right in the hunt gives them more motivation at this time of year?

Nothing worse than being 10 points out and knowing you pretty much have no chance. I personally don't care how they get into the playoffs this year, I've watched my team miss a decade and more of playoffs except 1 season.

If it takes the Ducks losing 12 straight, the Wild falling apart I don't care. Just get in, that's what matters to me this season.

If the games against the Coyotes and Kings were any indication, that answer is a big fat no.

This management needs to lose their jobs and it's rather unfortunate that they're holding the fans hostage with the playoffs stipulation. In a perfect world we make the playoffs and management is still cleared out...

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
If the games against the Coyotes and Kings were any indication, that answer is a big fat no.

This management needs to lose their jobs and it's rather unfortunate that they're holding the fans hostage with the playoffs stipulation. In a perfect world we make the playoffs and management is still cleared out...

Can't win them all and still missing their best defenseman. Hitch said he hoped they could tread water until Klef comes back. I'd say tied for a wc spot is treading water especially after that nasty losing streak.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can't win them all and still missing their best defenseman. Hitch said he hoped they could tread water until Klef comes back. I'd say tied for a wc spot is treading water especially after that nasty losing streak.
It's not a matter of winning them all. It's a matter of looking disinterested and disengaged. There are nights when you won't win because you're not good enough. That's all fine and good. There's not winning because you didn't try. And that to me is a dire symptom.

The Oilers have essentially no tiebreakers on the teams ahead of them, thanks to fewer ROW and an ugly -12 goal differential. They need to pace better than a few times and I don't think they have the horses for that, Klefbom or not.

Being "in the race" is nice but that's more owing to the fact that the West is incompetent than their own ability.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It's not a matter of winning them all. It's a matter of looking disinterested and disengaged. There are nights when you won't win because you're not good enough. That's all fine and good. There's not winning because you didn't try. And that to me is a dire symptom.

The Oilers have essentially no tiebreakers on the teams ahead of them, thanks to fewer ROW and an ugly -12 goal differential. They need to pace better than a few times and I don't think they have the horses for that, Klefbom or not.

Being "in the race" is nice but that's more owing to the fact that the West is incompetent than their own ability.

I don't believe they haven't tried. It's a long season and these guys are just human. There is fatigue, depression, personal issues, media scrutiny, travel etc. Some nights some of the guys just don't have it in the tank, other nights they look great.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

We're on pace for an 85pt season which is crap. It usually takes 94pts just to nab a last WC spot. This team might make the playoffs, but it will be in a weak year in the WC. They wouldn't even be in the WC conversation right now out east.

I'm sure you didn't intend it but the acceptance of the teams mediocrity is arguably what allows it to be this bad for so long. They aren't treading water, the team performance is chronically disappointing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Exactly. To put it in perspective the last wild card spot out east is the dynastic Pittsburgh Penguins, with 7more pts than us and we wouldn't have a chance of catching that club.

I'll take it though because its often the East that is weaker. What concerns me though is that if this club backs into the playoffs on yet another lousy regular season it validates those in this org that don't deserve any continuance.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't believe they haven't tried. It's a long season and these guys are just human. There is fatigue, depression, personal issues, media scrutiny, travel etc. Some nights some of the guys just don't have it in the tank, other nights they look great.
They get consistently outshot and outplayed, even after the new coach took over. Again, there's not being good enough but they've lost to a lot of teams below them in the standings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They get consistently outshot and outplayed, even after the new coach took over. Again, there's not being good enough but they've lost to a lot of teams below them in the standings.

Wasn't last night the first time in a dozen games they outshot their opponent? Or did Snet botch that stat as well. I can never tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad