The Playoff Picture Thread

space321

May 11, 2011
We're gonna make the playoffs and then get swept by Calgary. And then Chia & co. will still be here next year.

we'll never win the Cup with McDavid at this rate

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Damnit Demko! He stole a win for the Canucks tonight, Sabres completely outclassed them all night, but their rookie goaltender was lights out.
Puts them in the last wild card, but everyone below them have games in hand.

Oilers are 2 spots below wild card, but if Dallas and Minnesota lose tomorrow, and Edmonton wins, they move all the way up to the 1st wildcard spot
So tight in the West

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
We're gonna make the playoffs and then get swept by Calgary. And then Chia & co. will still be here next year.

we'll never win the Cup with McDavid at this rate

The Battle of Alberta in the playoffs has happened 5 times in it's history. Edmonton is 4-1 all time vs Calgary, and that 1 series loss, was when Oilers scored on themselves in game 7, with Calgary winning by 1 goal

If we meet in the post-season, I like our chances.
Obviously it's a completely different era/team, but it's the playoffs, standings go out the window and it's all about will

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Need Winnipeg to win badly. I really want that playoff spot. I think it does good for the team mentally too if they are in playoffs during the break.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I for one would love a playoff BOA. Except we have more to lose this year if we go out in round 1. Oilers always seem to play us well lately.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I didn't expect a win last night, win the next two and they will be in ok shape.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The playoff picture is something like this:

Calgary, Winnipeg, Nashville, Vegas and San Jose are smiling in the middle of the photo, looking proud and focused right on the picture taker, obviously taking centre stage. Anahiems head is out of the photo, Dallas eyes are closed, Colorado is looking to the left at Dallas, Vancouver is the cute 2 year old looking up and tugging on Anahiem's shorts, St Louis is in the background running to be in the picture before it is taken, Minnesota is the old man in the wheelchair looking off picture at Arizona who only has a leg in the frame, but its a hell of a nice leg and everyone is expecting her to be in the photo next year, and the Oilers are the kid sitting in the middle, eyes wide open in horror as the camera caught him right in mid-barf.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
St. Louis and Arizona are on the cusp of helping to put us down in Chicago/Los Angeles territory.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Hmmmm well this thread feels awkward this morning. I've been trying to be positive about the race but that loss really hurts. If they lose to Detroit I feel like that might be it. Maybe fans will get what they want if they lose the next one, Peter has to be close to being gone I would think.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hmmmm well this thread feels awkward this morning. I've been trying to be positive about the race but that loss really hurts. If they lose to Detroit I feel like that might be it. Maybe fans will get what they want if they lose the next one, Peter has to be close to being gone I would think.
Gallows humor. I find it to be the most therapeutic tonic during times such as these.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

space321

May 11, 2011
The Battle of Alberta in the playoffs has happened 5 times in it's history. Edmonton is 4-1 all time vs Calgary, and that 1 series loss, was when Oilers scored on themselves in game 7, with Calgary winning by 1 goal

Obviously it's a completely different era/team, but it's the playoffs, standings go out the window and it's all about will

lol you like our chances?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

The Oilers have shown absolutely none of this except for maybe a stretch of 16 games this year. So how you can say you like their chances, I have no idea.

This team literally checks out of games within the first 5 minutes. Like you may as well just start the f***ing game down 1 or 2 nothing.

I get the optimism, but this is a shit team, who have been once again been rewarded with horseshit luck in the fact the bottom half of the west is absolutely atrocious this year. If they do make the playoffs, it'll probably be with 86 or 88 points. And then Chia's job is safe. Like this moron is going to get rewarded and keep his job, continuing to destroy this franchise if the team makes the post season. Why on earth anyone would want that to happen is beyond me. It's like smoking. It's damn satisfying at the time, but the consequences down the road are just not worth it.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
We are only 6 points from last place overall. But lets trade that draft pick...
Yeah, why get immediate help while McDavid is young right. Let's soil our pants over another high pick who will not help right away.

Why try getting legit help with it. It's funner to talk about potential for the last 10 years.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, why get immediate help while McDavid is young right. Let's soil our pants over another high pick who will not help right away.

Why try getting legit help with it. It's funner to talk about potential for the last 10 years.

Toronto failed miserably for decades chasing the now rather than drafting and developing. We are in the mess we are in today in large part because we chased the now, traded Hall, 2 high draft picks for Reinhart, 2 high draft picks for Chiarelli and TMac, and have traded away quite a few middle round picks for players who are already gone, waived, traded, bought out, whatever the case may be.

Like it or not, we have to be patient and draft and develop talent. That is the only way you win long term in the cap system. Case in point, Nashville and Winnipeg.

The "now" help will come via having room under the cap to sign some quality free agents in the summer or being able to take on a contract a team has to dump to sign one of their young stars, versus relying on the waiver wire for immediate help.

You just do not trade high draft picks unless you are loaded for bear talent wise and in "win now" mode, which we are a looooong ways away from.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You realize we're not making the playoffs, right? So you want to give that up for immediate help (and we all know what kind help Chiarelli is a fan of), miss the playoffs, and basically waste an entire year for nothing?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I hear Louie Erickson is available.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

I'm all for dealing that first round pick. I've had enough mediocrity. The problem is the man who is tasked with dealing it.

I mean if you've got a first round pick that could be top 5, you've got to get value. Chia has been soaked over and over and over again.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
By the All-Star break there will be four teams the Oilers have to pass for the second wild-card spot. There done for this year.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Hard to believe after all of the losses they are going into the break just 3 points back of the ugly cousin wild card spot. Some teams in the way but if Connor can carry them and Klef helps steady the back end it's still doable.

I know this team still has big holes but meaningful games in Feb are nice.

Reactions: Aerrol

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Oilers are as close to last place as to a wild card spot and trending downward. Mind you Klef is coming back, but don't expect this team to end up making it at this point. Too many injuries and too much sabotage to the roster.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Oilers are as close to last place as to a wild card spot and trending downward. Mind you Klef is coming back, but don't expect this team to end up making it at this point. Too many injuries and too much sabotage to the roster.

That's how tight the race is though. Put together a little winning streak and you're right back in it. I don't expect them to make it I'm just hoping for meaningful games down the stretch.

I also realize if they come out of the break flat, they could be out of it 3 or 4 games in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad