The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
At least Pouncey is retiring. Wish we drafted Tyler last year like I wanted so he had a year of experience and plan in place. Team lacks foresight.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ben always said he'd retire when Pouncey did.

Do us a favor sir. Retire. He's the greatest Steelers QB of all time and should be honored as such, but this team needs to move on.

Plus Ben not coming back means this team is going to be an absolute train wreck this fall. I think they'd have been a dumpster fire regardless but the worse it goes, the more likely we're rid of Tomlin in early 2022.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It would be nice to see JJ here with his brothers. About the only thing I’d be looking forward to for this year. My guess is he tries to sign with someone like the packers, KC, TB, etc. to have a title shot.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, nowhere near his reputation at least. Saves us something like 8M on the cap, still with some dead money though.

Edit:
Odds just went up on both Ben calling it quits, and drafting OL.

You really think this is a precursor to Roth calling it quits?

Feels like with Pouncey retiring and the Steelers giving Roth the writing on the wall, he would.

I just think he is determined not to go out like he did - but he sadly doesn’t get it will just get worse most likely.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
You really think this is a precursor to Roth calling it quits?

Feels like with Pouncey retiring and the Steelers giving Roth the writing on the wall, he would.

I just think he is determined not to go out like he did - but he sadly doesn’t get it will just get worse most likely.

I didn't say that. I said it increases the odds. There's no way it makes it more likely he comes back ...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I didn't say that. I said it increases the odds. There's no way it makes it more likely he comes back ...

I guess.

Roth spouts off a lot of mess, but it’s usually just BS. Saying he would retire when Pouncey did I highly suspect was him not being genuine.

So I doubt the odds go up that he retires because Pouncey did.

The Steelers making a business decision is about the only thing that will make him retire IMHO.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It would be nice to see JJ here with his brothers. About the only thing I’d be looking forward to for this year. My guess is he tries to sign with someone like the packers, KC, TB, etc. to have a title shot.

If you really want to win, do you even consider the Steelers? I know it would be awesome to play with your brothers, but if he wants to play for a crap team, he could have stayed in Houston.
tenor.gif

Green Bay, here he comes.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If you really want to win, do you even consider the Steelers? I know it would be awesome to play with your brothers, but if he wants to play for a crap team, he could have stayed in Houston.
tenor.gif

Green Bay, here he comes.

Steelers haven’t had a losing season since 2003

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Green Bay isn’t one either. LaFleur is no better than Tomlin.

It's Possible, though he's not been coaching as long and Idk what he brings as far as the x and o part.. He did pull a Clown in the NFC title game. Maybe he learns from it or he becomes Clown knowing he has job security and won't get fired, so no need to learn from mistakes.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's Possible, though he's not been coaching as long and Idk what he brings as far as the x and o part.. He did pull a Clown in the NFC title game. Maybe he learns from it or he becomes Clown knowing he has job security and won't get fired.

I think they’re very similar coaches. Could fluke into a SB, but just makes the wrong decisions in game in critical situations. Still solid as far as the regular season goes.

I could see Watt signing to either team — looking at the odds, the Steelers/Packers are 1 and 2, so it’s very possible both are in his consideration. I saw Watt is prioritizing going to a contender and he’s going to take the weekend to collect himself before talking to teams.

I also suspect Watt has a different opinion of Tomlin than most of us do around here, which I’m thinking will play into the Steelers favor. Obviously the connections with his brothers is a huge advantage for us as well.

Reactions: Hungamania

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I think they’re very similar coaches. Could fluke into a SB, but just makes the wrong decisions in game in critical situations. Still solid as far as the regular season goes.

I could see Watt signing to either team — looking at the odds, the Steelers/Packers are 1 and 2, so it’s very possible both are in his consideration. I saw Watt is prioritizing going to a contender and he’s going to take the weekend to collect himself before talking to teams.

I also suspect Watt has a different opinion of Tomlin than most of us do around here, which I’m thinking will play into the Steelers favor. Obviously the connections with his brothers is a huge advantage for us as well.

I agree, whether or not they are a Super Bowl contender he can look at it as "why not try to win playing along side my bros?" The Steelers have the advantage in that regard.

If it was me, id chose my brother.

Reactions: That1Kid

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I agree, whether or not they are a Super Bowl contender he can look at it as "why not try to win playing along side my bros?" The Steelers have the advantage in that regard.

If it was me, id chose my brother.
Agreed. I have 2 younger brothers and this is an incredible opportunity for him. It would be a no brainer for me, but I’m not a pro athlete, obviously. He could always do a 1 year stop and go to GB next offseason if he plays well enough...which I’m guessing he will.

Reactions: Hungamania

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Steelers haven’t had a losing season since 2003
That really helps the team this year. The Texans have won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers, if you want to base his decision on history.

(I don’t think the Steelers are as bad as the Texans, but if he wants to win this year, this isn’t your team. If he doesn’t care and only wants to play with his brothers, then yea.

I bet your are a Tomlin fan...

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
That really helps the team this year. The Texans have won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers, if you want to base his decision on history.

(I don’t think the Steelers are as bad as the Texans, but if he wants to win this year, this isn’t your team. If he doesn’t care and only wants to play with his brothers, then yea.

I bet your are a Tomlin fan...

I’m a Steelers fan, I want to see them be successful, unlike you.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
JJ Watt would feel like a luxury signing considering we have Tuitt and Heyward and have far bigger needs elsewhere. I'd still take him if he'd sign cheap enough but I don't get it from his standpoint. Watt's breakup with Houston is apparently over him wanting to play for a contender and the Steelers aren't really a contender, imo. Maybe he just wants to play with his brothers though. We'll see...

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
JJ Watt would feel like a luxury signing considering we have Tuitt and Heyward and have far bigger needs elsewhere. I'd still take him if he'd sign cheap enough but I don't get it from his standpoint. Watt's breakup with Houston is apparently over him wanting to play for a contender and the Steelers aren't really a contender, imo. Maybe he just wants to play with his brothers though. We'll see...
We don’t have much depth and are likely losing Alualu. I wouldn’t call it luxury, really.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We don’t have much depth and are likely losing Alualu. I wouldn’t call it luxury, really.
I agree we need depth and a NT if Alualu leaves. I just consider it a bit of a luxury since we have two good DE starters already and need starting help at other positions a lot more. Not sure any of Watt, Heyward, Tuitt want to be a backup either. That's another thing that could complicate things.

Reactions: TNT87

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I don't see JJ Watt coming here. A player of his pedigree with his drive to succeed and resume to go along wants a legit shot at a world championship. Having said that, I'd like to see him there if they could get him on the cheap and they can legitimately use him doing what he is still capable of doing at a high level.

I think Roethlisberger is coming back. I think the whole "I'll retire when Markice does" was one of those "Gotta have my bruh's back" statements. He wants to prove he can still play at a championship level. I'd be happy if he came back and didn't think that. It would tell me that he would be open to a more well rounded offense, that he would get up under center more, especially in short yardage and run more PA off of a better running attack. If he thinks he can win with last years formula, then he's wrong. It's easily defended and frankly would be much more effective if Ben could still move like he used to.

Lastly, RIP Coach Schottenheimer. He was one of my favorite HC's of all time. I thought he was classy and commanded respect by everyone that he ever came in contact with. His firing is one of the reasons I hate the Chargers and Dean Spanos. (cool unis aside). Complete joke of an organization. Marty, LT, Antonio Gates and Junior Seau deserved better than to have to play and coach for that jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00