GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ben is a HOF QB and Matt is a 1st year OC. Are you surprised? At least we actually have a real OC now. I think his system is gimmicky, but he’s willing to be creative, which is a step in the right direction.
Ben needed to retire or f*** off after this season.

You see Brady finding ways to play as long as he can at a high level and Ben took a 10lb shit and everyone's like omg he's like less fatter than usual and he's popping off throws like a teenager with a quick trigger in the sack. But just like that teenager, it wasn't impressive at all the more we saw in a larger sample size.

Ben's numbers were also propped up for a few years because of Bell and Brown being very good in a system made for them. The moment Ben had to actually f***ing work, all the excuses came out to blame idiot coaches that were always idiots but Ben had to actually show what he can do and he showed us he's done.

He's done jack shit to help create a successor as well.

Reactions: Night Shift

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Offensive Coordinator designs offense that plays to quarterbacks strength. Wow that only would happen in Pittsburgh.

Seriously what did people expect? They weren’t going to drastically change the offense with a 39 year old vet. It’s not going to be completely different but I’d be surprised to see 50 quick slants every game.

Reactions: KIRK and T1K

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ben needed to retire or f*** off after this season.

You see Brady finding ways to play as long as he can at a high level and Ben took a 10lb shit and everyone's like omg he's like less fatter than usual and he's popping off throws like a teenager with a quick trigger in the sack. But just like that teenager, it wasn't impressive at all the more we saw in a larger sample size.

Ben's numbers were also propped up for a few years because of Bell and Brown being very good in a system made for them. The moment Ben had to actually f***ing work, all the excuses came out to blame idiot coaches that were always idiots but Ben had to actually show what he can do and he showed us he's done.

He's done jack shit to help create a successor as well.

You're right in the stuff about Ben’s play and how he doesn’t seem to have worked to keep himself able to do the work later into his career.

But it’s not his job to ‘create a successor’. To use your comp, what did Brady do to line up Cam Newton?

Reactions: T1K

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’m more concerned with our o-line than teams stacking the box. If a team does that, good luck containing our receivers all game. While Ben might be washed physically, he is still a smart player who can find the open guy/make the right decision. If he is really bad, he will get benched for Rudolph. I’m low on Rudolph, but he’s an option if we need a boost mid-season.

Because last year Ben did so well picking apart defenses that played close to the line lol

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You're right in the stuff about Ben’s play and how he doesn’t seem to have worked to keep himself able to do the work later into his career.

But it’s not his job to ‘create a successor’. To use your comp, what did Brady do to line up Cam Newton?
I got a laugh out of the fansided article about Haskins and how Ben is serving as a mentor. It's not creating a successor, it's a leader being a f***ing leader mate. To me Ben just isn't a good one. It's odd to me how they're talking up Haskins and now acting like Rudolph isn't even there. This season is gonna be another shit show.

Leaders lead. They help younger players in the same positions. Same with how Letang and others do for defense and Sid and Geno do for the younger guys. Ben is always talked up as a "leader" and boy do they try super hard to keep pushing how he is some good one, but actions always speak louder than words.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I got a laugh out of the fansided article about Haskins and how Ben is serving as a mentor. It's not creating a successor, it's a leader being a f***ing leader mate. To me Ben just isn't a good one. It's odd to me how they're talking up Haskins and now acting like Rudolph isn't even there. This season is gonna be another shit show.

Leaders lead. They help younger players in the same positions. Same with how Letang and others do for defense and Sid and Geno do for the younger guys. Ben is always talked up as a "leader" and boy do they try super hard to keep pushing how he is some good one, but actions always speak louder than words.

Rudolph was just given an extension thru next season recently.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Ben is insecure like a lot of other great QB's. Tom Brady wouldn't give Jimmy G the time of the day, either.
I think Rudolph somehow intimidates him, which is why he's never been shy about praising Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs, and now Dwayne Haskins. It was hilarious a season or two ago when Ben said he values Dobbs insights on the game.... as a QB with 10 more passing yards than Jaylen Samuels.

Reactions: KIRK and TNT87

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We had no run game because teams didn’t respect the mid to deep pass. That’s not going to change

They didn’t have a running game because they had one of the worst stable of backs in the league.

I’m struggling to think of a team that had less talent at the position than oft injured JC and crew.

Reactions: T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
We had no run game because teams didn’t respect the mid to deep pass. That’s not going to change
Michael Thomas said it best when he talked about Brees inability to throw it 20 yards. Of course the defense is going to cheat up towards the line and press.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They didn’t have a running game because they had one of the worst stable of backs in the league.

I’m struggling to think of a team that had less talent at the position than oft injured JC and crew.
No Pouncy got handed his lunch a lot last year Decastro didn’t want to be here and fieler was terrible at LG. Chuks was not interested in blocking for 2seconds on a running play.
We got more yards from our rbs than kc and Buffalo got. Allen was Buffalo running attack

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

No. The run game struggled due to the ineptness of the coaching, the performance of the OL, and Ben. You don’t need all world RBs to have an effective run game but you a need a balanced attack and a game plan that keeps the defense on their toes - they had neither

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
No. The run game struggled due to the ineptness of the coaching, the performance of the OL, and Ben. You don’t need all world RBs to have an effective run game but you a need a balanced attack and a game plan that keeps the defense on their toes - they had neither

RBs absolutely do matter, game-breaking ones at least.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
FFS. Of course a having a more skilled player at any position is preferable but that doesn’t change the fact the Steelers struggles last year were not caused by the lack of Najee Harris

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
FFS. Of course a having a more skilled player at any position is preferable but that doesn’t change the fact the Steelers struggles last year were not caused by the lack of Najee Harris

Yeah I mean our team YPC was 3.6 last year, dead last in the league. The team spent their 1st rd pick on a RB so clearly the organization thought that contributed greatly to our struggles. Not sure why you feel it’s necessary to drop these contrarian takes when it’s blatantly obvious our RBs sucked last year.

Reactions: Pengwins

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Oh please get off it. I’m not being contrarian, I’m pointing out the fact that the running game struggled not because our RBs weren’t all-pros but because our QB sucked, our OL sucked at run blocking, and our scheme sucked. I’m pointing out that upgrading at RB isn’t a major fix if the other things aren’t improved and there’s nothing yet that tells us they are. So go ahead and delude yourself into thinking Najee is a magic bullet and I’ll watch as you’re whining midseason that the offense still sucks and even then I’m sure you’ll refuse to concede the point

Reactions: Night Shift

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, their RBs were ass.

That matters.

If a back lacks vision, they aren’t going to be nearly as effective as a talented runner... like say, Harris.

As people will find out this Autumn, a shitty stable of backs was the most glaring issue last season.

When they suddenly have a good running game next season, it won’t suddenly be because the coaches figured out how to design better run plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad