The Pittsburgher Thread - Mr Big Chest: The Final Chapter Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Ugh

Edit: I don't even understand this. Steelers players (especially if you're good) in this city are adored. What's his angle? Pittsburghers won't spew the kind of hate they do to him and AB unless there's good reason for it. Maybe don't act like a jagoff and people will treat you better?

Good thing he’s going to the Jets. Totally rational fan base.

Reactions: KIRK and tread102

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We just need to draft to take place so these two will become distant memories.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have a theory.

Bell is trying to rationalize sitting out last season with this subhuman whining. He sat because he wanted more money and now that he had to take a pay cut to play for a team that he was mocking last year, he doesn't want to look like the fool that he is. So he's trying to start this mistreated narrative.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I have a theory.

Bell is trying to rationalize sitting out last season with this subhuman whining. He sat because he wanted more money and now that he had to take a pay cut to play for a team that he was mocking last year, he doesn't want to look like the fool that he is. So he's trying to start this mistreated narrative.

This is exactly what happened.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don’t know about you guys, but this is the first year in a little while that I’m truly excited for the draft. If we manage to snag one of the top ILB’s and can run with him and Barron with the other guys rotating in? That would be amazing. Or a top CB that can play nickel/dime this year and replace Haden when he’s gone. A DE/OLB to replace Dupree.

There are a lot of options and spots that can be upgraded from this draft either this year or next. So I’m pumped to see what happens.

Reactions: KIRK and John Titor

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t know about you guys, but this is the first year in a little while that I’m truly excited for the draft. If we manage to snag one of the top ILB’s and can run with him and Barron with the other guys rotating in? That would be amazing. Or a top CB that can play nickel/dime this year and replace Haden when he’s gone. A DE/OLB to replace Dupree.

There are a lot of options and spots that can be upgraded from this draft either this year or next. So I’m pumped to see what happens.

Even though my interest in the team dipped to an all time low the last several years because of Brown, Bell and Tomlin, I’ve always looked fwd to the draft.

I’m hoping they do something bold, but it’s the Steelers so I’m not going to set myself up too hard either.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Even though my interest in the team dipped to an all time low the last several years because of Brown, Bell and Tomlin, I’ve always looked fwd to the draft.

I’m hoping they do something bold, but it’s the Steelers so I’m not going to set myself up too hard either.

Usually, the Steeler's 'bold' most others call a 'reach'.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Usually, the Steeler's 'bold' most others call a 'reach'.

That’s more like what they do when they draft guys who fall, like Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. It did work out with Decastro though.

But the last two times they moved up in the first round they drafted a HOFer to be and a SB MVP. Seems like a good enough track record to try again.

Ten rookies aren’t making your squad, so use the picks wisely.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I am also a big draft guy. I love it.

Not as much as when they started Saturday morning and went all the way thru till Sunday night.

Me and my friends use to research and do mocks in notebooks leading up to the draft. .

Pick our best 3 and that Saturday we would order pizza wings hoagies get some beer and just watch the draft all day and see how close our top 3 mocks were.

Such a fun time.

Now its Thursday night and I have work in the morning so I'm nodding off before it even ends.

Plus I hate breaking it up into 3 days.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Use the extra picks and move up.

We cannot afford to continue with the ILBs we have.

I support this notion. With such few holes, I'd move up multiple times. I think if we can get to #10 we get Bush. If Greedy Williams is sitting there after 20, I'd package anything I could to get back up in the 1st and take him too. A MLB and a CB that can come in and play right away make the Pittsburgh Steelers a legitimate Super Bowl contender this year.

The way I see it, the Steelers may have to move up to #10. One spot ahead of Cincinnati. If White is gone by then, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cincinnati took Bush a) because they just cut Burfict and could use a replacement for him and b) we know they like drafting people that the Steelers are interested in, like William Jackson. I’d be on the horn with Denver if one of the Devin’s looks like they’ll be there at 10.

I agree that they have to move up to around 10 to get a MLB. I've read locally that Colbert has seemed to lean towards taking the best player available at 20, which I think is a terrible play.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of mocks having White going to Tampa at #5 and Bush going to Cincy at #11.

Seems like the two CB's (Greedy and the kid from Washington) are usually there for the taking at #20 in mocks. I've seen a few where the WR Metcalf was available too. I'm not sure what to make of that kid (Metcalf). Freak athlete but I'm not sure he was ever really that great a player in college. I'm guessing he goes before #20 due to his rare athleticism but who knows. Would any of you take a chance on him at #20?

Yeah - see my post above. I'll tell you what, it sounds kind of crazy, but if Hockenson is still there and is the best player at 20...I take him.

Metcalf is an interesting character. Crazy athletic. Would look mighty fine across from JuJu.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I support this notion. With such few holes, I'd move up multiple times. I think if we can get to #10 we get Bush. If Greedy Williams is sitting there after 20, I'd package anything I could to get back up in the 1st and take him too. A MLB and a CB that can come in and play right away make the Pittsburgh Steelers a legitimate Super Bowl contender this year.

I agree that they have to move up to around 10 to get a MLB. I've read locally that Colbert has seemed to lean towards taking the best player available at 20, which I think is a terrible play.

Yeah - see my post above. I'll tell you what, it sounds kind of crazy, but if Hockenson is still there and is the best player at 20...I take him.

Metcalf is an interesting character. Crazy athletic. Would look mighty fine across from JuJu.

The Steelers don’t get as many special, game changing players because they have “take the best player possible but at a position of need” philosophy in the first round...they either need to move up to get the best players at positions of need, or they need to stay put and select the legitimately best player available regardless of position...but to combine the two makes for too many mistakes or getting only mediocre to above average players..

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Honestly I'm only trading up for White and White alone. Possibly Hockensen if he falls past 15.

But if we miss White and Bush in the 1st, I'm cool with taking Hockensen, if hes gone too then maybe AJ Brown. I'm not real big on any of the CBs. Maybe Greedy.

Pratt/Wilson in the 2nd would be fine with me as the 2nd tier ILBs.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Honestly I'm only trading up for White and White alone. Possibly Hockensen if he falls past 15.

But if we miss White and Bush in the 1st, I'm cool with taking Hockensen, if hes gone too then maybe AJ Brown. I'm not real big on any of the CBs. Maybe Greedy.

I agree with this. I'd only trade up for White. I don't think Bush is worth trading additional assets.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We can’t continue to f*** up our first round picks like we have 4 out of the last 6 years. Dupree, Burns, Edmonds (maybe too soon to knock this pick) and Jones were all bad picks. Shazier obviously isn’t anyone’s fault, but it’s tough to compete with so many mistakes made in the first round.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

One of the my big reasons for not being all in on the team were Brown and Bell. If only Mikey T had been shown the door, I would be back to scouting the draft.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea I mean Kirk and I have pretty much agreed Tomlin is here to stay until he wants to leave in every game day conversation we’ve had the last couple years. I’ve just come to accept it at this point. We really have to hope to catch lightning in a bottle this year, maybe next. BR is gone in a couple years and I don’t see him being adequately replaced anytime soon.

We need a team equipped to overcome coaching mistakes, unfortunately.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Metcalf is a stay away guy for me. Don’t see it with him. I wish him the best and hope he has a nice career, but I’d be real disappointed if the Steelers took him in round 1.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Steelers don’t get as many special, game changing players because they have “take the best player possible but at a position of need” philosophy in the first round...they either need to move up to get the best players at positions of need, or they need to stay put and select the legitimately best player available regardless of position...but to combine the two makes for too many mistakes or getting only mediocre to above average players..

Yeah I agree. It almost seems like the team tries to get too creative or overthinks picks way too much. Edmunds is a fine safety - there were better safeties there. How do you not take a MLB last year? Since when does our front office value athletic freaks that are very average football players (Burns, Dupree) v. taking a guy who is less explosive, but a much smarter football player?

This team has lost its way. If they f*** up this draft, our window is closed.

I'd trade up for Bush. I originally agreed with you - White and only White was it for me. Reading about Bush and seeing him a few times, I think he's a lightning rod of energy. He was the heartbeat of that Michigan defense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Metcalf is a stay away guy for me. Don’t see it with him. I wish him the best and hope he has a nice career, but I’d be real disappointed if the Steelers took him in round 1.

I think this coaching staff has the ability to coach wideouts. With his physical traits, I think they could coach him and turn him into a really good WR, with an outside chance that he turns into a dominant receiver.

To me, Metcalf screams as a guy who is so hyped right now, I could see him dropping a round. 2nd round I think he'd have value.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'll be really curious to see where Hockenson goes. I could see New England making a move to get him. He'd be a perfect Gronk replacement. I wish we didn't have such huge holes because he's perfect for us.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I haven't seen enough of him to know, but bush seems like he would be better playing in a 4-3 than playing in a 3-4. he seems like he would get pushed around by the o-line if he didn't have the players to keep them off him. so if you have seen him play you can help fill me in.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have a theory.

That's far too rational.

That would be like saying AB saw other guys get paid MORE than him last summer, one summer after Artie broke with tradition and redid his deal to pay him, and between that and the hissy fits about not getting the ball thrown his way every passing play . . .

Oh never mind, some people here won't get that either. :laugh:

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad