The Pittsburgher Thread - Mr Big Chest: The Final Chapter Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I expect Ben to be better next year now that he won't have to force passes to Mr Big Chest.

I don't think there will be a huge drop-off from what 31 year-old AB would have produced and what JuJu is capable of as the #1.

Moncrief is a guy fans should be more excited about. He could very well have a 1,100 yard/10 TD season.

Rogers isn't anything more than a #4 slot-type and Washington has yet to show something. So, they still need to add a WR in the draft (hopefully Terry McLaurin).

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Preaching to the choir. :D

With AB going, the Steelers are going to have to tweak the offense regardless. Hockenson with McDonald and Juju and Montcreif stretching the field. I'm not saying it would be better or worse, but the Steelers certainly could give teams a lot of looks they haven't seen and create some matchup issues for opponents IF they went for Hockenson.

If the Steelers legitimately believe there will be a MLB in the 2nd round that is comparable to the Devin's...I'd take Hockenson, and package picks to move up in the top of the 2nd round. I think that is most bang for the buck, and Ben Roethlisberger would be ecstatic.

Reactions: KIRK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If the Steelers legitimately believe there will be a MLB in the 2nd round that is comparable to the Devin's...I'd take Hockenson, and package picks to move up in the top of the 2nd round. I think that is most bang for the buck, and Ben Roethlisberger would be ecstatic.

Hockensen and Wilson is still my dream scenario. Then a WR. Or a CB.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I am also a big draft guy. I love it.

Not as much as when they started Saturday morning and went all the way thru till Sunday night.

Me and my friends use to research and do mocks in notebooks leading up to the draft. .

Pick our best 3 and that Saturday we would order pizza wings hoagies get some beer and just watch the draft all day and see how close our top 3 mocks were.

Such a fun time.

Now its Thursday night and I have work in the morning so I'm nodding off before it even ends.

Plus I hate breaking it up into 3 days.

This sounds incredibly fun

Reactions: USMC607

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
They may do one of those things anyway, but, yes, concur 100% about the dilemma.

BTW, I suspect Bush is gone before #20 too.

I think White goes to Tampa at 5 and Bush goes to Cincy at 10. I don’t see them moving into the top 10 so I think they will just stand pay and take bpa

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Pratt and Hodge intrigue me more in the 2nd/3rd round

(If the Devins are gone)

I think Mack despite his 40 time goes early 2nd. But I wouldnt want him at 20 if Hockenson is there.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just don’t see how you don’t draft a linebacker early in this draft. Bostic, Barron, Watt, Chickillo, Dupree and Williams is a pretty sad group of players as a whole. I still don’t undrtand why they even re-upped Dupree for that much money.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I just don’t see how you don’t draft a linebacker early in this draft. Bostic, Barron, Watt, Chickillo, Dupree and Williams is a pretty sad group of players as a whole. I still don’t undrtand why they even re-upped Dupree for that much money.

Because the only two worth taking in the first round will most likely be gone by pick 20... or would you prefer they reach for a linebacker so you can just complain about the fact that they reached for a guy?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Because the only two worth taking in the first round will most likely be gone by pick 20... or would you prefer they reach for a linebacker so you can just complain about the fact that they reached for a guy?
Valid point.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I wouldn’t call it sad. Watt is a stud, Barron is good and Bostic is great at run stopping, just so so in coverage. Williams is very vanilla but serviceable. I don’t like Dupree. Chick is a fine backup.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Has anyone been following Nelson on twitter?

This man is saying ALLLLL the right things... Hes already got steelers fans loving him.

Catching Pens games, posting Pirates spring training videos, talking about primantis.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I wouldn't call it sad. But it's not impactful, either. Still if there is an impact secondary player who is objectively BPA (and not just a Tomlin pet like Edmunds) that would be just as useful to the defense.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There is zero excuse for not getting one of the 2 stud ILB's. We have extra draft capital. We're going to get a good comp pick next year for Bell (maybe a 3rd but probably a 4th). White and Bush won't be there at 20 but I have to believe if we can get into the top 12 we'll have a strong shot at Bush. If he makes it to 10 you had better be on the phone calling teams.

As much as I think Hockenson will be a stud, TE is a luxury pick for our team. We need a stud backer that can take some of the pressure of Vince inside. Williams is a solid LB, in fact I think he's a bit underrated, but he was at his best when you had Shazier flying around, taking up the attention of other teams. Yeah we added Barron but he's not a long term answer, as much as I do like him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
There is zero excuse for not getting one of the 2 stud ILB's. We have extra draft capital. We're going to get a good comp pick next year for Bell (maybe a 3rd but probably a 4th). White and Bush won't be there at 20 but I have to believe if we can get into the top 12 we'll have a strong shot at Bush. If he makes it to 10 you had better be on the phone calling teams.
I would love to get white but the cost to move up to get him is more than the Steelers will pay. as for bush (I have asked this before and got no answers) seems to be a better 4-3 than a 3-4. he would need the d=line to keep the blockers off him. I have not seen much so I don't really know. just asking.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is Ben going to sign an extension or is he threatening to retire again? I thought this was supposed to be done last week?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Is Ben going to sign an extension or is he threatening to retire again? I thought this was supposed to be done last week?

Him signing before the signing bonus was a rumor. Then Bouchette squashed it and said they had barely started and arent in a rush.

So who knows. But that put a wrench in the whole Houston situation. Because we cant sign him till after the extension, and now it seems other teams have jumped in like Chicago and NYJ both teams that have the money and space now.

But things have still been quiet on that front which makes me feel like there is 2 scenarios going on.

He either...

A: Still wants PAID and teams arent willing to give him as much as he wants. So its holding things up.

B: The rumors about him verbally agreeing to something with the Steelers is true but they cant actually sign him till cap space opens up. But even those rumors have gone silent.

At this point it's hard to tell what's going on, on both Ben's extension OR Houston signing with a team.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Things could have fallen thru though. Maybe that's why they signed Barron.

But.... Barron is a Dime Backer hybrid and played inside so I dont see why that would effect signing Houston who is an OLB besides cap space.

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i think you take either White (impossible without moving into the top 10 IMO) or Bush (might not fall to 20) using some extra picks.

if the Steelers wanna be stingy with their picks, take BPA at 20 and pick your LB in the 2nd round.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Seeing more of the Bell thing he said a lot of words without really saying anything.

The interviewer seemed to control and dictate his non answers.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Seeing more of the Bell thing he said a lot of words without really saying anything.

The interviewer seemed to control and dictate his non answers.

Ya I was talking to this with friends.

He said most of the issues didnt fall on any one person but everyone and a bunch of other factors.

His big goof was saying the city didnt treat him like a human, that he wasnt allowed to play video games or work on music and that he didnt get enough opportunities.

Which are debunked if anyone followed us even a little.

Pittsburghers loved this guy until he ghosted the team and left everyone hanging on if he would come back at all or not. People would have still been mad but less so if he just came out and said he wasnt coming.

The video game comment is dumb. JuJu was allowed to bring his ps4 to training camp as a rookie, and is building up a nice little video game/live stream empire.

And one of his reasons for sitting out was originally because we overused him and he didnt wanna get hurt without guaranteed money. Yet now we didnt give him enough opportunities?

Ugh...common man.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i think you take either White (impossible without moving into the top 10 IMO) or Bush (might not fall to 20) using some extra picks.

if the Steelers wanna be stingy with their picks, take BPA at 20 and pick your LB in the 2nd round.

I think that this is the consensus. I mean the Steelers do not need the, I believe it is 10, picks that they currently have. Ten picks are not going to make this team. So at some point trading up seems to be inevitable.

That said, if it were me I would base it on cost. If one of the Devins last to 15 or so and I think that he is going to go the cost to move up a couple of picks would not be high and I would not object to tossing a pick out there to be sure. But if the cost is high move up in lower rounds.

There are LB's beyond the first round that would fit the bill if the cost is too high. Mack Wilson in the second, although again likely would have to move up, or even a guy like Vosean Joseph from Florida who no one is talking about lower.

There is a lot of depth and talent in the positions we covet and need most, enough to not need to either reach at 20 or overspend to move up.

People are acting like if you miss out on the two Devins the Steelers are screwed. It is not even remotely true.

Reactions: domaug

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They have 10 picks but the extras are later round picks. At best, they could move up in the 3rd or from their early third into the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->