The Pittsburgher Thread: It feels so dark and cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Except that Tomlin has won the division 6 times in the 12 years he has been here.......And if they had gotten even respectable kicking from Boswell this season they would have won this year.

I’m going to be livid if they give in and release him. And I have a terrible feeling they might.

Zero chance that happens. There will be 10-12 teams interested for a 4th to 7th round pick. In the end I think they get a high 2nd or high 3rd. Oakland and SF specifically, they can get a really good pick at those places. If they are able to get a high 2nd, they could use it to trade up in the first.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
“Peter King writes in Football Morning in America that he’s heard from one team that was a potential Brown suitor that has become reluctant to trade for him because of his tweets. King thinks other teams feel the same way.

That might be Brown’s aim: He might want to damage his own trade value in an attempt to get the Steelers to release him, rather than trade him. If he gets traded, he’s stuck with the team that trades for him. If he’s released, he can negotiate a new contract with the team of his choosing.”

I’m going to be livid if they give in and release him. And I have a terrible feeling they might.

Either get a late 1st or early 2nd or comparable value . . .

Or I'd rather they pay the contract for this year and deactivate him weekly.

Otherwise, force him to practice with the 3rd team, and if he no shows or causes issues, keep fining him.

IF they give in to these shenanigans, then they're ****** long after AB is gone.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Nightmare Yinzer Scenario: AB is released and picked up by New England. AB is magically “fixed”. Brady and AB shatter records en route to a perfect record and, unlike the Moss year, finish the deal and win the SB to stand alone with the record with 7.

(no way that happens but just imagine)

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Nightmare Yinzer Scenario: AB is released and picked up by New England. AB is magically “fixed”. Brady and AB shatter records en route to a perfect record and, unlike the Moss year, finish the deal and win the SB to stand alone with the record with 7.

(no way that happens but just imagine)
don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby

Reactions: tread102

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
If AB continues to take his value, just say forget him and let him rot. Don't trade him, and tell him to stay home. He'll get paid but won't get his stats which will hurt him more than anything.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If AB continues to take his value, just say forget him and let him rot. Don't trade him, and tell him to stay home. He'll get paid but won't get his stats which will hurt him more than anything.

Oh no.

If you don't get 1st/2nd value, you may keep him, but what you do is make him practice . . . with the 3rd stringers.

And then you state policies and fine him for every single violation. A minute late to a 3rd string meeting. Fine. Refuse to stay in the team dorm preseason. Fine.

You humiliate the *******.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh no.

If you don't get 1st/2nd value, you may keep him, but what you do is make him practice . . . with the 3rd stringers.

And then you state policies and fine him for every single violation. A minute late to a 3rd string meeting. Fine. Refuse to stay in the team dorm preseason. Fine.

You humiliate the *******.

I said before that I was leaning that way.

Once you already are taking an over $20 million cap hit if you trade him there is zero incentive to simply give him away for magic beans.

If you can not get value keep him, hope that he wants to keep his trade value high and actually works for his money and if not you really are not hurt other than a wasted roster spot.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I said before that I was leaning that way.

Once you already are taking an over $20 million cap hit if you trade him there is zero incentive to simply give him away for magic beans.

If you can not get value keep him, hope that he wants to keep his trade value high and actually works for his money and if not you really are not hurt other than a wasted roster spot.

IF you go this way, then you have to plan for him NOT to behave (where you've got to give him the 3rd string and look for reasons to fine him treatment). The Bell saga SHOULD have taught them that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
IF you go this way, then you have to plan for him NOT to behave (where you've got to give him the 3rd string and look for reasons to fine him treatment). The Bell saga SHOULD have taught them that.

So you bench him if he acts up. Again, all it is costing you is a roster spot. Unless there is a great trade out there the cost/reward balance favors keeping him and benching him if you have to.

Reactions: KIRK

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
So you bench him if he acts up. Again, all it is costing you is a roster spot. Unless there is a great trade out there the cost/reward balance favors keeping him and benching him if you have to.

Throw in a large playpen on the bench with lots of throwable objects and he'd be happy as long as the cameras are on him.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Honestly the keeping him while threatening suspension for conduct detrimental or outright benching if it comes to it is more and more appearing to me the most logical route to take if they seriously think they're still legitimate contenders (I don't believe it but they probably do).

As I understand it, because of the restructuring they gain practically nothing in cap space from trading him next season (unsure of what the ramifications are past that), so whether he's off the team or not the value gained is negligible to that end.

Due to his antics his trade value is likely declining by the day, so hoping to get anything of draft value back in return to bolster your competitive chances going forward is progressively dwindling (the chances they hit on another 6th round eventual all-pro isn't all that likely).

So the main benefit to the team in getting rid of him, whether it be by trade or release, is simply not having to deal with the headache of him still being on the team and damaging the locker room, which does have value however quantifiable.

The way I look at it though, is if as said they seriously consider themselves still contenders, then there is also value in him still being on this team even if benched or suspended rather than on another team, making a potential playoff opponent better.

It's the same reason there was still value in not just rescinding the tag on Bell once it was fairly clear he wouldn't be back, because as long as he was sitting out the year in protest of the franchise tag, he wasn't playing for another team you may eventually have to face (of course when you miss the playoffs that makes the whole point moot but still).

I highly doubt they'll actually go that route of course, because I don't know if it's ever been done before nor if the players association wouldn't have a legitimate grievance to file (they probably would), but logically the more this goes on the more it kind of makes sense in a twisted way. If they're damned either way, him not playing for any team is better than him simply not playing for just this one, as long as you can keep the locker room mentally intact, which is a different story all together with this coach.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Honestly the keeping him while threatening suspension for conduct detrimental or outright benching if it comes to it is more and more appearing to me the most logical route to take if they seriously think they're still legitimate contenders (I don't believe it but they probably do).

As I understand it, because of the restructuring they gain practically nothing in cap space from trading him next season (unsure of what the ramifications are past that), so whether he's off the team or not the value gained is negligible to that end.

Due to his antics his trade value is likely declining by the day, so hoping to get anything of draft value back in return to bolster your competitive chances going forward is progressively dwindling (the chances they hit on another 6th round eventual all-pro isn't all that likely).

So the main benefit to the team in getting rid of him, whether it be by trade or release, is simply not having to deal with the headache of him still being on the team and damaging the locker room, which does have value however quantifiable.

The way I look at it though, is if as said they seriously consider themselves still contenders, then there is also value in him still being on this team even if benched or suspended rather than on another team, making a potential playoff opponent better.

It's the same reason there was still value in not just rescinding the tag on Bell once it was fairly clear he wouldn't be back, because as long as he was sitting out the year in protest of the franchise tag, he wasn't playing for another team you may eventually have to face (of course when you miss the playoffs that makes the whole point moot but still).

I highly doubt they'll actually go that route of course, because I don't know if it's ever been done before nor if the players association wouldn't have a legitimate grievance to file (they probably would), but logically the more this goes on the more it kind of makes sense in a twisted way. If they're damned either way, him not playing for any team is better than him simply not playing for just this one, as long as you can keep the locker room mentally intact, which is a different story all together with this coach.

I would counter that rather than a headache, benching him would send a well needed message. Worth every bit of keeping him if he gets out of line.

Speaking of him though, to quote Shrek, 'compensating for something?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad