OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I have no clue how this will ever get resolved, but all I can do is try to listen and understand when someone tells me they are suffering and afraid... be that a common black person or a famous one.
It's bigger than just a police issue. The problem is being born into a ghetto, poor and without 2 parents. All these ghetto inner cities have plenty of funding sent to them but the money is misappropriated by shady people in charge. Only way to help is to stop voting for democrats.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It won't get resolved in this generation. To solve the issue it has to be a grass roots thing that begins at birth. A mob running up on people in a restaurant while they are sitting outside, harassing them with loud speakers, strobe lights, drinking their drinks, and smashing their plates is going to have the opposite impact. Nothing these people do will make those who do not already see injustice suddenly visualize it. It is just not going to happen. What needs to happen is that cops need to be accountable. The bad ones need to be fired and not protected.

What happened in front of Sienna Mercato downtown was disgusting. This was outside of a restaurant I frequent a lot, and the owners are friends of mine that work as the chef and front of house manager 6 days a week. They took bottles of wine off of tables and started drinking them and dumping them over customers. If this is progress, no one is ever going to want it.

Peduto chastises police officers who try to stop them. Zappala doesn't press charges. The mob is running wild.

People are getting beaten or murdered by police. HF poster complains about protesters spilling wine.

You really can't make this shit up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's bigger than just a police issue. The problem is being born into a ghetto, poor and without 2 parents. All these ghetto inner cities have plenty of funding sent to them but the money is misappropriated by shady people in charge. Only way to help is to stop voting for democrats.

go ask the Mayors of the cities Democrats by the way if they are "peaceful"

These are nothing but silly bait posts.

Do better.

I walked by two peaceful protests today... one was a sign and the other was on a shirt.

Guess that doesn’t fit the narrative though, sorry.

Black athletes are going to speak up, deal with it.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch the NFL because it’s going to go on all season.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
These are nothing but silly bait posts.

Do better.

I walked by two peaceful protests today... one was a sign and the other was on a shirt.

Guess that doesn’t fit the narrative though, sorry.

Black athletes are going to speak up, deal with it.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch the NFL because it’s going to go on all season.
I am not & no it is not a Bait post go read up on Seattle, where Mayor Durkan a Leftist left Antifa take over a city block & explained it away as we have block parties all the time in that area & it is going to b e a "Summer Of Love" after they killed a couple of their own & went after her house she cleared them out

Reactions: Pengwins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People are getting beaten or murdered by police. HF poster complains about protesters spilling wine.

How does walking up to people sitting peacefully dining and screaming in their faces with loud speakers, breaking things, and causing a disturbance help the cause? It doesn't. It will not change the fact that people are being assaulted and killed by police. It's just creating a counter to the cause.

And this will be the last thing I say because I come here to get away from the world and discuss the sport I love, not debate people about current events.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am not & no it is not a Bait post go read up on Seattle, where Mayor Durkan a Leftist left Antifa take over a city block & explained it away as we have block parties all the time in that area & it is going to b e a "Summer Of Love" after they killed a couple of their own & went after her house she cleared them out

I'm not turning this into a political debate... again, this is nothing but silly, misguided bait.

The NFL is 70% black and blacks are fed up with racism in this country. The NFL said they will back their athletes this season to express themselves about the issue.

So once again, if you or anyone else doesn't like that, and I suspect many in this thread don't, then my suggestion to you and to them is quite simple, don't watch.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

your (probably intentionally) missing their point.

The wine is irrelevant. Acting like that will never get someone on your side.

Same when Kapernick knelt. The kneeling its self isnt a real problem but if your goal is to raise awareness to change peoples minds on an issue, doing something they will likely take as an insult will be highly inneffective.

there is a difference between making change and making noise.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
your (probably intentionally) missing their point.

The wine is irrelevant. Acting like that will never get someone on your side.

Same when Kapernick knelt. The kneeling its self isnt a real problem but if your goal is to raise awareness to change peoples minds on an issue, doing something they will likely take as an insult will be highly inneffective.

there is a difference between making change and making noise.

It seems hypocritical for any of us who are US citizens to say when people want change, they shouldn’t make noise.

This entire country was founded on noise and protests agt England. You think Brits didn’t find the Boston Tea Party wholly obnoxious?

They lost their shit, levied heavier sanctions and gave their soldiers the freedom to act with impunity... and the revolution began.

Making change comes through making noise, and people who have the advantages are never going to like hearing that noise... be it a peaceful protest or not.

Kap made a peaceful protest and people lost it, because the truth is, they didn’t want to hear his message, so they drown it out with the idea he hates our soldiers.

We are going to see tons of protests in the NFL this year, so people who watch better be ready.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It seems hypocritical for any of us who are US citizens to say when people want change, they shouldn’t make noise.

This entire country was founded on noise and protests agt England. You think Brits didn’t find the Boston Tea Party wholly obnoxious?

They lost their shit, levied heavier sanctions and gave their soldiers the freedom to act with impunity... and the revolution began.

Making change comes through making noise, and people who have the advantages are never going to like hearing that noise... be it a peaceful protest or not.

Kap made a peaceful protest and people lost it, because the truth is, they didn’t want to hear his message, so they drown it out with the idea he hates our soldiers.

We are going to see tons of protests in the NFL this year, so people who watch better be ready.

there is a difference between doing something in a way that creates change, and there is many different forms this can take, and doing something to just make noise.

assaulting people at a restaurant will never create change.

insulting the people who you want to listen to will never create change.

those things create division and unless you want division (much like the American revolution). Assuming you dont want a full on revolution they only way to make the necessary change within the system are twofold.

A systematic effort to elect and push policy that fits what you want.

hearts and minds. Empathy will get you a lot farther than instigation.

and i get it people are so damn angry and frustrated maybe the short term feel good of instigation is worth it to them, but if the change people want is to every really occur, i mean real fundamental change, its going to have to come from cooperation.

Reactions: JTG and That1Kid

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
People who don’t want to listen will make up every reason they can think of too not listen.

that is true, there will always be a standard deviation of people who will never listen.

but you dont need those people to. You need vast majority if people in the middle to listen. People like you and me that dont think about racism or systemic racism on a day to day basis. People who just go about their days.

those people will listen if you can get through to them. If your message starts with insults or instigation they will get defensive and not listen. Thats just human nature.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
there is a difference between doing something in a way that creates change, and there is many different forms this can take, and doing something to just make noise.

assaulting people at a restaurant will never create change.

insulting the people who you want to listen to will never create change.

those things create division and unless you want division (much like the American revolution). Assuming you dont want a full on revolution they only way to make the necessary change within the system are twofold.

A systematic effort to elect and push policy that fits what you want.

hearts and minds. Empathy will get you a lot farther than instigation.

and i get it people are so damn angry and frustrated maybe the short term feel good of instigation is worth it to them, but if the change people want is to every really occur, i mean real fundamental change, its going to have to come from cooperation.

Ya, assaulting people will piss them off, but that is one out of thousands of ways black people are protesting.

People who don’t like the BLM movement will keep trying to focus on the minority of black people being stupid, and ignore the majority of peaceful ones trying to get their message across.

It’s how this works and always has.

You already mentioned Kap and made it out like it was a bad thing because people got upset with his message.... change doesn’t happen until people in power become uncomfortable with their actions.

People are getting pissed at BLM signs and cover them in paint, ripping them down, etc

Again, this country was founded on all the things you mentioned above... you think the Brits agreed with any of the protests coming out of colonial America?

We already have takes in here the NFL players need to shut up and play and it’s kind of mind boggling to me people think these athletes are going to stay quiet anymore.

The BLM movement is going to be a big part of the NFL this season and those of us who watch the sport and discuss it, need to understand and accept that.

It’s pretty clear by the last few pages, many posters want it to go back to the shut up and play mantra of years past, however... but it’s not and that’s why this discussion is relevant, but you can see posters are trying to make it stop and pretend things will go back to how they used to be.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ya, assaulting people will piss them off, but that is one out of thousands of ways black people are protesting.

People who don’t like the BLM movement will keep trying to focus on the minority of black people being stupid, and ignore the majority of peaceful ones trying to get their message across.

It’s how this works and always has.

You already mentioned Kap and made it out like it was a bad thing because people got upset with his message.... change doesn’t happen until people in power become uncomfortable with their actions.

People are getting pissed at BLM signs and cover them in paint, ripping them down, etc

Again, this country was founded on all the things you mentioned above... you think the Brits agreed with any of the protests coming out of colonial America?

We already have takes in here the NFL players need to shut up and play and it’s kind of mind boggling to me people think these athletes are going to stay quiet anymore.

The BLM movement is going to be a big part of the NFL this season and those of us who watch the sport and discuss it, need to understand and accept that.

It’s pretty clear by the last few pages, many posters want it to go back to the shut up and play mantra of years past, however... but it’s not and that’s why this discussion is relevant, but you can see posters are trying to make it stop and pretend things will go back to how they used to be.

i dont disagree with the overall point of how people are reacting and the BLm movement.

Im only responding to specific examples that are undermining that movement.

its not fair but those are the examples that will get the most attention.

and i dont disagree about discomfort but there is two different types of discomfort.

there is discomfort that makes you reflect and there is discomfort that make you deflect. the kinds in the examples i was talking about are the second type.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i dont disagree with the overall point of how people are reacting and the BLm movement.

Im only responding to specific examples that are undermining that movement.

its not fair but those are the examples that will get the most attention.

and i dont disagree about discomfort but there is two different types of discomfort.

there is discomfort that makes you reflect and there is discomfort that make you deflect. the kinds in the examples i was talking about are the second type.

Ya I hear you.

We just can’t pretend that when some black people act stupid, it represents all of them.

Anymore than a white person protesting something I believe in acts the fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad