OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Hope you're all staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NFL had their virtual draft this weekend and it gave us a nice break from the insanity that is the currently ongoing End of the World.

STEELERS DRAFT PICKS:
2-49: WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
3-102: EDGE Alex Highsmith, Charlotte
4-124: RB Anthony McFarland, Jr., Maryland
4-135: G Kevin Dotson, Louisiana-Lafayette
6-198: S Antoine Brooks, Jr., Maryland
7-232: DT Carlos Davis, Nebraska

STEELERS UDFA (as of 4-26-20):
C Christian Montano, Tulane
OLB James Lockhart, Baylor
ILB Leo Lewis, Mississippi State
FB Spencer Nigh, Auburn
CB James Pierre, Florida Atlantic
DE Calvin Taylor, Kentucky
CB Trajan Bandy, Miami (FL)
ILB John Houston, USC
DL Josiah Coatney, Ole Miss
P Corliss Waitman, South Alabama

Continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
no Penn Staters either, but i know like a billion Ohio State players got drafted so it's not the end of the world haha

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Let me start by saying I have very little faith in Tomlin, but I am very excited about both Claypool and Highsmith. If Ben's arm is ready to go, he'll find Claypool all day.

Reactions: domaug

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like guys who have the dedication to football. Claypool basically took control of his recruiting. Highsmith was a 0-star walk on. I would bet on guys like that.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
So the Steelers allegedly offered a better deal to Jameis Winston than what the Saints did. Too bad he chose NO. We could really use him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thread title should be "Marylander Thread"

Feelings on Dobbins with the Ravens? How he will be as a pro? Are we in for 4-6 years of hell?

This is tough. That dude has leg strength to be able to work at the NFL level. You would just simply think that the combo of those guys (Jackson/Dobbins) running around would be a nightmare.

But we've seen things that look perfect on paper go to absolute shit before. On paper that looks AWESOME for Baltimore. And Dobbins is a guy who isn't just a small fast guy. Dude has leg strength beyond leg strength. I think he's going to be an incredible NFLer. But... i'm bias.

But i'll be interested to watch and see.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This is tough. That dude has leg strength to be able to work at the NFL level. You would just simply think that the combo of those guys (Jackson/Dobbins) running around would be a nightmare.

But we've seen things that look perfect on paper go to absolute shit before. On paper that looks AWESOME for Baltimore. And Dobbins is a guy who isn't just a small fast guy. Dude has leg strength beyond leg strength. I think he's going to be an incredible NFLer. But... i'm bias.

But i'll be interested to watch and see.

Yeah, I'm scared. Ravens have had a lot of luck and players fall to them. We had to trade up for our linebacker while one fell in their lap. Same with QB and RB. I think we are in for some tough years.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I’ll admit that I haven’t seen enough of Claypool at game speed to have an opinion. His 40 numbers from the combine are impressive for his size but I hear people say he is slow in actual gameplay. Is that true or is it that he “looks” slow because of his size. 6’4” guys don’t look as fast as 5’9” guys because they can cover the same distance in less strides...

One thing’s for sure, having Tomlin at the helm has destroyed the prime years of Ben and company. He truly had been Bylsma in that regard. He had the team grossly underperform when they had arguably the best offensive in the league for years, started to feel a little heat, then was “saved” by Ben going down last year and an over performing defense. 8-8 was a major win for him and he knows it...

Cincy won’t be a threat for awhile but I’m afraid Baltimore is about to have their boot on our necks for quite some time now. Harbaugh and Newsome are on another level compare to Tombert. They are constantly tweaking their team to play to their strengths and bringing in players that fit their system. And Harbaugh gets the most out of them. Tomlin brings in guys who “look flashy” but are headcases who disrupt the locker room...

And then there’s Cleveland. We can always joke about them but I think they are really close to being an elite team.

Tombert needed to hit home runs in the last few years to give this team a shot before the window slams shut and instead, for the most part, have hit fouls or stuck out...

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I finally google'd this x y z bullshit you've been spewing. Your arguing about who lines up on the line of scrimmage really? You look at any x y z breakdown and most offenses have their x on the left outside.

Instead of explaining the difference between an X and a Z receiver, which is nearly impossible, let's go over the advantages and disadvantages of each position. A receiver on the line of scrimmage can release immediately into his route, and he is in good position to block his defender at the line. On the downside, he can be jammed easily. A receiver a yard or two in the backfield has extra space to beat a jam, which is why smaller receivers are often "flankers."​
By definition DJ would be a flanker.

I showed you ample evidence a year ago and direct quotes from coaches why DJ was drafted... to be their X. Anyone who understands a little bit about this offense knows Metcalf can’t play that position in the Steelers offense.... they also know it is the most integral role in the offense as well.

Intelligent individuals know when they don’t understand something and admit it... you want to keep crossing over that line, so be it.

You have put yourself in a silly position to root agt a Steeler, but you have no choice now because I’m beyond certain this board is going to endlessly roast you if he breaks out with Roth.

Good luck with that if he builds on his rookie season.

Reactions: Rave7215

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I showed you ample evidence a year ago and direct quotes from coaches why DJ was drafted... to be their X. Anyone who understands a little bit about this offense knows Metcalf can’t play that position in the Steelers offense.... they also know it is the most integral role in the offense as well.

Intelligent individuals know when they don’t understand something and admit it... you want to keep crossing over that line, so be it.

You have put yourself in a silly position to root agt a Steeler, but you have no choice now because I’m beyond certain this board is going to endlessly roast you if he breaks out with Roth.

You're arguing with a guy who wants attention. Nothing else.

It's not even worth mentioning (for the 100th time) that Metcalf was drafed before the Steelers pick.
Nor is it worth mentioning that DJ had more catches despite playing for literally the worst passing team in the league while DKM had arguably the best QB in the NFL. Or that DKM may be the most 1-dimensional WR in the league. Or that DKM's career high in college is 646 rec yards and 7 TD's. He was very much a major gamble for a 2nd round pick.
And let's ignore that DJ's catch percentage was 8% higher. And let's totally ignore that DJ was drafted to replace a posession receiver like AB.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It seems DKM had a pretty good rookie season, better than some here (and everywhere) were predicting. I think the Seahawks overall were thrilled with his performance. But he also had some really bad drops, which was one of the knocks on him coming out of college.

DJ also had a pretty good rookie season, despite having two nobodies throwing to him for the bulk of the season.

I'm not sure what there is to debate or argue about when the Steelers didn't have a realistic shot to draft him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It seems DKM had a pretty good rookie season, better than some here (and everywhere) were predicting. I think the Seahawks overall were thrilled with his performance. But he also had some really bad drops, which was one of the knocks on him coming out of college.

DJ also had a pretty good rookie season, despite having two nobodies throwing to him for the bulk of the season.

I'm not sure what there is to debate or argue about when the Steelers didn't have a realistic shot to draft him.

The debate stemmed from the silliness that it is now a proven fact the Steelers f***ed up drafting DJ and not moving up to get Metcalf... because they took Claypool.

Don’t mind bend your brain trying to figure out the logic.

Reactions: Rave7215

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

I have him blocked so I can't responded directly but I can see he is still dying on the Metcalf is better than DJ and we should have drafted him hill.

Even after their stats were almost mirror images of each other while he had a playoff team with a elite QB tossing him the ball while DJ had trash cans throwing to him and no run game for defenses to respect.

Also if he doesn't remember Moncreif was suppose to be the X while DJ got eased into the X position. So he didn't get a ton of action until we finally sat concrete hands 4 games into the season.

Reactions: Khelandros

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
So DJ

Factor in no run game for defenses to respect.
Awful QBs throwing him the ball.
No TE support.

^^^^All those things the Seahawks had a clear advantage in.

Then add the fact Metcalf started 15 games, to DJs 12 games.

All Metcalf could muster with 3 games in hand and all those other advantages was 220 more receiving yards, and 1 more TD.

I would say 2 TDs but DJ returned a Punt for a TD.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
And let's totally ignore that DJ was drafted to replace a posession receiver like AB.

I was kind of hoping Juju would expand his route running and become that WR instead of a one trick pony. Going into his 2nd season he was still younger than DJ and could have expanded his game.

Looking for AB clones, a player that comes once a decade is the gameplan that has you wasting 2nd/3rds on WRs every draft. Exactly what we've done last 4 drafts.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
For anybody that actually cares what the "experts" say. Somebody added all their grades and divided.

Steelers - 9th worst draft.

Ravens - 3rd best.

Bengals - 5th best.

Browns - 7th best.

Exactly what I've been saying. Steelers only 9th worst because they got an all pro safety out of it. Take Minkah out and only the Packers had a worse draft.

Ravens were already better and 3rd best in deep draft pulls them further away.

Browns were close. I mean we lose to them twice if MG isn't suspended. Depends on Ben and 7th best in deep draft. We are neck and neck and they might be better.

Bengals are finally on the right trajectory but a few years behind. We keep drafting Terps players and they will be better than us in no time.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I've watched Carlos Davis the last 6 years if you want to know any details. He and twin Khalil had an unfortunate college career that saw 4 different DL coaches in 5 years. Not sure if that is a record nationally, but definitely was at Nebraska. 2 years in 4-3, 3 in 3-4, they certainly have versatility on their side. Glad to see them get a chance at the next level.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For anybody that actually cares what the "experts" say. Somebody added all their grades and divided.

Steelers - 9th worst draft.

Ravens - 3rd best.

Bengals - 5th best.

Browns - 7th best.

Exactly what I've been saying. Steelers only 9th worst because they got an all pro safety out of it. Take Minkah out and only the Packers had a worse draft.

Ravens were already better and 3rd best in deep draft pulls them further away.

Browns were close. I mean we lose to them twice if MG isn't suspended. Depends on Ben and 7th best in deep draft. We are neck and neck and they might be better.

Bengals are finally on the right trajectory but a few years behind. We keep drafting Terps players and they will be better than us in no time.
Sounds like the Steelers are a lock to be no worse than 2nd in the division for the foreseeable future. Good to know.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
NFL.com gave us an A- and this year was an even bigger crap shoot than typical years due to the lack of scouts being able to get together frequently and come to a consensus on player’s grades, rankings, attributes, etc.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Feelings on Dobbins with the Ravens? How he will be as a pro? Are we in for 4-6 years of hell?
Ravens will probably be the top team this year and will trounce us. They shored up their D and yes Dobbins is a great fit.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
no Penn Staters either, but i know like a billion Ohio State players got drafted so it's not the end of the world haha
I sure as hell prefer players from winning programs like Penn St and Ohio St over players from a school that cancels class to lose 59-0 in front of their home crowd while the PSU contingent gracefully invaded their student section.

The Ravens do what they do. They lose some great players to free agency/retirement, but fill their needs in the draft. Hell they had four 3rd round picks.

...but like I said, they do what they do. It’s nothing new. Harbaugh was about to be fired after missing the playoffs 4/5 years after winning the SB and started out 4-5 in 2018.

Then Lamar Jackson became a thing and they’ve been 20-3 in the regular season since. Just needs to figure out how to win in the playoffs which is inevitable if they keep finding themselves in the mix. AFCN favorites by a long shot.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
how many of the draft raters took into account minkah when assessing the steelers draft?

also fun fact: the 2019 draft saw more maryland kids get drafted than lsu ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad