GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Apparently we need another one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He was getting it super quick last season too…I think it’s a function of getting older and not wanting to be hit and he’d feel the same way regardless of any realistic option the Steelers had to put together a line…we’re not getting five all stars on the O line…

That's because the offensive line was a flaming pile of cat shit last year too.

Reactions: Andy99

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'd argue this:

If Tomlin had Brady and BB had Ben, I bet the Pats still win just as many Super Bowls.

Coaching and organizing talent matters.
Patriots are notoriously awful at drafting and developing players on the offensive side of the ball (excluding linemen). In Brady's 20 years in NE he's had 3 good WR and 1 good TE. No good RB's, and mostly garbage receivers.
Talent has NOTHING to do with the Patriot's success.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tomlin liking Haskins could be a blessing in disguise. I have no doubt he thinks he can win with Haskins....or ya know...go 8-8-1 with him because the standard is the standard....but Haskins will be a f***ing nightmare and they will probably get a top 10 pick out of it.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I honestly expect it to be Haskins. Just a hunch.
I don't see it. He was a healthy scratch the entire season. He was so bad that he got cut after 1 year despite being a relatively high draft pick.
Rudolph is a solid back up QB and if Haskins is the guy then we're in deep trouble.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I honestly expect it to be Haskins. Just a hunch.
Haskins is only on the team as a favor to Tomlin agent. Colbert said if they drafted Haskins he would have sat and watched. Haskins called him check down all pre season and he wants mobility that’s not Haskins. It’s Mason tribsky/tyrod/marriota or draft pick.
I don’t think they go Jimmy g at 24 million

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Patriots are notoriously awful at drafting and developing players on the offensive side of the ball (excluding linemen). In Brady's 20 years in NE he's had 3 good WR and 1 good TE. No good RB's, and mostly garbage receivers.
Talent has NOTHING to do with the Patriot's success.

Two great TE's.

One turned to be a serial killer though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Interesting since bealcheat just got blew out and has missed the playoffs 2 times without Brady. Brady would control the entire offense here. Also Ben unlike Brady wasn’t going to take massive pay cuts and isn’t the film junky. Can you imagine the first time bealcheat called him out in the film room. Asked Ben to use play action and get under center lol

Ben didn't even practice this year. To put "film junkie" and Ben Roethlisberger in the same sentence is revisionist history. Prep has never been Ben's thing because he's so wildly blessed physically. Brady is what he is because prep is all he has.

The difference in Ben here and Ben on a team like New England is Belicheck would have never given Ben the power that he had here. AB is a lunatic, but a lot of the time when he throws a nutty it's for a legit reason. People blame Tomlin a lot but Ben has been in lockstep with him his entire time here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lol…Canada coming back…gets endorsement from Tomlin..

Matt Canada back with Steelers? Mike Tomlin won’t ‘change for the sake of changing’

Also,@Mr Jiggyfly , here’s the scout Matt Williamson’s take on Ben during the game…

“Roethlisberger’s 2.08 seconds average time to throw was even less than his league-low average. Actually, it was much less. He had no interest in holding the football for plays to develop or to attack the defense on the intermediate levels. In fact, Roethlisberger completed just one single pass 2.6 seconds after the snap of the ball.
To put that in perspective, quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and Joe Burrow held the ball on average for right around 2.6 seconds this year.
Kansas City’s L’Jarius Sneed also dropped several should-have-been interceptions on plays in which Roethlisberger held the ball for at least 2.6 seconds. He completed only five passes 5 yards or more downfield. His career was magnificent, but it is over”

That assessment is hilarious.

“Ben doesn’t hold the ball. That is bad.”

“When Ben does hold the ball, bad things almost happen.”

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Tomlin could fire Canada tomorrow, and nothing about the offensive philosophy will change. They’ll just promote or hire the next yes man that will run the same stupid attrition style, get to third down offense that we’ve watched the past dozen or so years. They change/scapegoat the OC every 2-3 years…when will everyone realize that it’s not Haley, it’s not Fichtner, it’s not Canada…it’s certainly not Ben. It’s A2 and Shades.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Canada's offense sucks, but I'm not going to get up in arms about keeping him because

1) He didn't have much to work with given that shitty line and an immobile QB who couldn't throw the ball down the field. It would be kind of shitty to fire him for not being able to polish a turd.

2) The goal for '22-23 should be to suck.

They HAVE to address the o-line starting this offseason. Even if they don't get a good QB, an improved line with Harris should result in a better offense. When it ultimately doesn't, they will hopefully get a top 10 pick and be able to say we gave him a shot, but it wasn't working. Then start fresh with a new QB and a new OC.

Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kiper’s first mock draft has Willis as the first QB taken with pick 11 - said he talked to many scouts etc and teams love this guy (org never seem to learn about the run first, inaccurate guys do they?)

Next was Pickett at 18 to Saints and then Corral to Steelers.

Corral fits the mentality of what Mike Tomlin wants from his team. He's tough. He took a beating in multiple games in 2021, even running 30 times for 195 yards in a win over Tennessee. Oh, and he's a stellar passer, too, with touch, accuracy and arm strength. At 6-foot, he's not the biggest quarterback, but he threw 20 touchdown passes and just five picks this season. Corral sprained his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but should be fine to work out at the combine. Because he hasn't yet graduated from school, he's the only one of the top QBs who won't be at the Senior Bowl, but he'll get his chance to show his skill set in front of scouts later.

Strong isn’t in his first round mock, but he’s the guy I suspect will really shoot up the boards after the Senior Bowl and teams can evaluate his knee.

His MRI came back clean recently when he saw a Rams dr as well - so I’ll be surprised if he isn’t a big late riser.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't see it. He was a healthy scratch the entire season. He was so bad that he got cut after 1 year despite being a relatively high draft pick.
Rudolph is a solid back up QB and if Haskins is the guy then we're in deep trouble.

Haskins is only on the team as a favor to Tomlin agent. Colbert said if they drafted Haskins he would have sat and watched. Haskins called him check down all pre season and he wants mobility that’s not Haskins. It’s Mason tribsky/tyrod/marriota or draft pick.
I don’t think they go Jimmy g at 24 million

I don't agree with it, I just think the org possibly does.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So, we've bitched about:

- Canadas offense
- Bens playcalling
- Bens arm
- O-line not being good enough
- Tomlins ineptitude

When are we going to talk about how terrible the secondary was from the second quarter on? Missed tackles and blown coverage everywhere.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Brugler's mock draft has Pickett at 11, Corral at 18, and Sam Howell to us at 20.

Kenyon Green is the only offensive linesman who goes after that in the first round. Carson Strong at 47 fwiw.

edit: His second rounder for us was Zion Johnson.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So, we've bitched about:

- Canadas offense
- Bens playcalling
- Bens arm
- Tomlins ineptitude

When are we going to talk about how terrible the secondary was from the second quarter on? Missed tackles and blown coverage everywhere.
Secondary wasn't very good against KC, but those other things were season long problems. Taking the season as a whole, I think secondary is lower down on the list. After O-line, coaching, and Ben's limitations, I'd put ILB as the next biggest issue. D-line, too, but injuries played a big factor there.

The secondary could definitely use some work, though, with the potential loss/age of Haden. As well as Edmunds being a free agent/not very good.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So, we've bitched about:

- Canadas offense
- Bens playcalling
- Bens arm
- Tomlins ineptitude

Right after we discuss how Najee seemed off somehow and wasn't any more effective than friggin Balledge.

Which itself is still probably 3-4 things down the list. It's a long offseason.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Brugler's mock draft has Pickett at 11, Corral at 18, and Sam Howell to us at 20.

Kenyon Green is the only offensive linesman who goes after that in the first round. Carson Strong at 47 fwiw.

Was so unimpressed with Howell this year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Was so unimpressed with Howell this year.
Yes I know Colbert has spent a lot of time scouting him but I don’t see starting QB. I have heard the mayfield comparisons and he is worse than Baker. Before the playoffs I was all in on Ridder but his is skinny and doesn’t really have many nfl throws. I am scared Tomlin will fall in love with Willis cause he needs a year to learn how to read defenses and fix his mechanics.
If corral and picket are gone before 20 pass on a QB in round 1

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don't agree with it, I just think the org possibly does.
He said he hasn’t spoken to Tomlin but the other ins the organization he has spoken with say he will be brought back to compete with Mason. Tomlin wants mobility I don’t see it in Haskins. I am on the tribsky Mason train

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Agreed. Howell looked clearly like a 2nd day player to me.

I would much rather take a chance on Carson Strong in the 2nd round. That's if he makes it that far. I have a feeling he is going to shoot up the board and people may see him as this years Herbert. I could see him being the second QB off the board and picked in the top 15.

And I don't think the Steelers should pick a QB in the first round. Unless Pickett drops that far, and he won't. Best player available of OL/CB/DL depending on what they do in Free Agency.

Also, I think this may be a year where it would make sense for the Steelers to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick due to them not having a 4th or 5th round pick.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Secondary wasn't very good against KC, but those other things were season long problems. Taking the season as a whole, I think secondary is lower down on the list. After O-line, coaching, and Ben's limitations, I'd put ILB as the next biggest issue. D-line, too, but injuries played a big factor there.

The secondary could definitely use some work, though, with the potential loss/age of Haden. As well as Edmunds being a free agent/not very good.
Edmonds actually was graded pretty good this season he did good job against Andrews he isn’t a super star but Minka wants him back if they get him back at 6 million a year like von bell I am ok

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Kiper’s first mock draft has Willis as the first QB taken with pick 11 - said he talked to many scouts etc and teams love this guy (org never seem to learn about the run first, inaccurate guys do they?)

Next was Pickett at 18 to Saints and then Corral to Steelers.

Strong isn’t in his first round mock, but he’s the guy I suspect will really shoot up the boards after the Senior Bowl and teams can evaluate his knee.

His MRI came back clean recently when he saw a Rams dr as well - so I’ll be surprised if he isn’t a big late riser.

The problem with drafting QBs is whoever's best goes way up the board even if they're a 2-3 round talent in other years or in a vacuum. So yeah I like Sam Howell maybe the way I liked the kid from Florida last year but I wouldn't draft either in the first round. Problem is you have to because of the value on the position and the number of teams who will overdraft for it.

There are a handful I guys I like, including Pickett, but not at where they will be taken. And yet, they'll never get to where I would draft them. I think I'd rather draft Ridder in 2-3 than one of those guys in the first. Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad