GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Apparently we need another one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Let’s go over this again so it sinks in:

- Ariana got the Steeler to two SB, won coach of the year twice (2012 and 2014), won a SB last year and likely on his way to b2b SB appearances.

- Haley is coaching high school football.

- RF is out of the league.

- Canada just ran the worst offense in Steelers history.

So ya, the common denominator is Tomlin firing Arians, and hiring three clowns, two who the NFL wants nothing to do with, and another soon to join them.
Arians did nothing when he left until Brady showed up. Haley being a drunk has more to do with him coaching high school he ticked off way to many people off the field. On the field him and Ben set records. Arians threw Ben under the bus multiple times since he left.
Sanders said when he showed up in Denver and watched Peyton pre pare that is how a QB is supposed to prepare.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Since they will never fire him, I'd settle for the Steelers striping Tomlin of some of his control. Go back to the days where Colbert was building the team and they dictated to him who his coordinators were going to be like they did with Lebeau and Arians.

Alas, with Colbert retiring, Tomlin will probably only grab more power.
Tomlin is on record saying he doesn’t want anymore power.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Arians did nothing when he left until Brady showed up. Haley being a drunk has more to do with him coaching high school he ticked off way to many people off the field. On the field him and Ben set records. Arians threw Ben under the bus multiple times since he left.
Sanders said when he showed up in Denver and watched Peyton pre pare that is how a QB is supposed to prepare.

Your desperation is showing.

Arians has had major success since leaving - Haley is coaching high school football, RF is out of the NFL, Canada ran the worst offense in org history.

I’ll keep repeating that until it sinks in.

No NFL team wants to hire Haley or RF - keep trying to argue around that reality vs Arians success.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'd argue this:

If Tomlin had Brady and BB had Ben, I bet the Pats still win just as many Super Bowls.

Coaching and organizing talent matters.
Interesting since bealcheat just got blew out and has missed the playoffs 2 times without Brady. Brady would control the entire offense here. Also Ben unlike Brady wasn’t going to take massive pay cuts and isn’t the film junky. Can you imagine the first time bealcheat called him out in the film room. Asked Ben to use play action and get under center lol

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Interesting since bealcheat just got blew out and has missed the playoffs 2 times without Brady. Brady would control the entire offense here. Also Ben unlike Brady wasn’t going to take massive pay cuts and isn’t the film junky. Can you imagine the first time bealcheat called him out in the film room. Asked Ben to use play action and get under center lol

The Pats gutted themselves and set themselves up for a rebuild last year. This year they had a rookie QB and had a ton of success (kinda like Ben his rookie year)

And yea it might have been nice if Ben had a coach actually CHALLENGE him to be better. You'll get no argument from me that Ben was sometimes his own worst enemy. But that's what a coach does: recognizes that a person has more to give instead of mailing it in like Tomlin.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The Pats gutted themselves and set themselves up for a rebuild last year. This year they had a rookie QB and had a ton of success (kinda like Ben his rookie year)

And yea it might have been nice if Ben had a coach actually CHALLENGE him to be better. You'll get no argument from me that Ben was sometimes his own worst enemy. But that's what a coach does: recognizes that a person has more to give instead of mailing it in like Tomlin.
Spending 160 million in guaranteed money to finish a half game ahead of us. Lose by 30 and give up 5 tds is a ton of success?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Spending 160 million in guaranteed money to finish a half game ahead of us. Lose by 30 and give up 5 tds is a ton of success?

Funny how you nitpick the Pats, yet ignored my comment about coaching.

But I'll play along
Yes whenever you plug in a Rookie QB and win 10 games, I'd say that's pretty successful. They're playing the long game and will likely better that next year.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I just don't understand why Tomlin loves attrition football- he's had that philosophy his entire tenure. Whether he's had a great offense or a terrible one. Whether he's had a great defense or a bad one. It makes zero sense.

6-2 in 4th quarter comeback opportunities (have the ball and within 8pts in 4th quarter). That’s the part you’re not going to replace at QB. One of those two he drove them to the lead vs LAC and defense gave it back, the other was MIN, where the TD pass that could’ve led to tying it up was perfect and then dropped/knocked out.

If the game plans and desire to play attrition football stay the same, they will be markedly worse in terms of results.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…Canada coming back…gets endorsement from Tomlin..

Matt Canada back with Steelers? Mike Tomlin won’t ‘change for the sake of changing’

Also,@Mr Jiggyfly , here’s the scout Matt Williamson’s take on Ben during the game…

“Roethlisberger’s 2.08 seconds average time to throw was even less than his league-low average. Actually, it was much less. He had no interest in holding the football for plays to develop or to attack the defense on the intermediate levels. In fact, Roethlisberger completed just one single pass 2.6 seconds after the snap of the ball.
To put that in perspective, quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and Joe Burrow held the ball on average for right around 2.6 seconds this year.
Kansas City’s L’Jarius Sneed also dropped several should-have-been interceptions on plays in which Roethlisberger held the ball for at least 2.6 seconds. He completed only five passes 5 yards or more downfield. His career was magnificent, but it is over”

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Also,@Mr Jiggyfly , here’s the scout Matt Williamson’s take on Ben during the game…

“Roethlisberger’s 2.08 seconds average time to throw was even less than his league-low average. Actually, it was much less. He had no interest in holding the football for plays to develop or to attack the defense on the intermediate levels. In fact, Roethlisberger completed just one single pass 2.6 seconds after the snap of the ball.
To put that in perspective, quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and Joe Burrow held the ball on average for right around 2.6 seconds this year.
Kansas City’s L’Jarius Sneed also dropped several should-have-been interceptions on plays in which Roethlisberger held the ball for at least 2.6 seconds. He completed only five passes 5 yards or more downfield. His career was magnificent, but it is over”

I've made it quite known that Ben has been limited for the past couple years. His play has been uneven at best.

But would you (or could you) hold the ball for longer than 2.6 seconds behind this Oline?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I've made it quite known that Ben has been limited for the past couple years. His play has been uneven at best.

But would you (or could you) hold the ball for longer than 2.6 seconds behind this Oline?

He was getting it super quick last season too…I think it’s a function of getting older and not wanting to be hit and he’d feel the same way regardless of any realistic option the Steelers had to put together a line…we’re not getting five all stars on the O line…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

But I'll play along
Yes whenever you plug in a Rookie QB and win 10 games, I'd say that's pretty successful. They're playing the long game and will likely better that next year.
We will see if they are better next year since the go from playing the

But I'll play along
we will see if they get better next year. This year they played the nfc south and and afc south. Next year they play the afc north and nfc north.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lol…Canada coming back…gets endorsement from Tomlin..

Matt Canada back with Steelers? Mike Tomlin won’t ‘change for the sake of changing’

You are trying to argue agt points I never made.

My entire point is that Canada is a garbage OC and BR calling plays was way more effective.

I never made any type of argument BR was still an elite QB or shouldn’t retire - I literally wrote 20x last spring he should retire because this org is a mess and he should be a game manager now.

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
His comments seemed more like speculation rather than a team source telling him that.
Tomlin said they will explore all options free agency draft vet in his press conference today. He wants mobility in his next QB and isn’t handing the keys to Mason.

Reactions: T1K

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His comments seemed more like speculation rather than a team source telling him that.

How was that speculation? Here is exactly what he said:

"The way it was explained to me was it would be Mason Rudolph, Haskins, Tomlin likes Haskins, and someone in the draft"

That's not speculation, he's flat out saying that.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Tomlin said they will explore all options free agency draft vet in his press conference today. He wants mobility in his next QB and isn’t handing the keys to Mason.

I agree. It seems to me that they’re evaluating all options, which is the right approach.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
How was that speculation? Here is exactly what he said:

"The way it was explained to me was it would be Mason Rudolph, Haskins, Tomlin likes Haskins, and someone in the draft"

That's not speculation, he's flat out saying that.

He’s just following Kaboly’s latest blurb, which means nothing. The team isn’t going to tell one of the biggest league insiders what their plans are… How would they even know what is really out there at this stage? Trade market, FA, and the draft are all very fluid at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad