GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Apparently we need another one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

3 oc same issue just let Ben call his own plays right

Where is Haley right now? Oh right he’s out of pro football. Well he’s at least coaching in college right?

No? But where could Haley be coaching then?

Why, he was last seen coaching for Riverview High School and just got hired to be the GM of the… Tampa Bay Bandits.

You get bonus points if you know which league that is!

Where is Randy Fichtner now?

Out of pro football also you say? What!

Surely someone in the coach needy, recycled world of the NFL would want to hire these two offensive masterminds!

I can’t seem to put my finger on why these guys are out of the NFL… it’s a mystery bro.

Well, at least we know Canada will be a hot commodity that may get a second chance in another 9… 10 years!

I am seeing the common denominator here… it’s like the HC keeps hiring shitty OC that the rest of the NFL has no interest in.

And back to the question you refuse to answer - when did they score more points this season, when Roth called the plays or Canada?

It’s ok, the answer is obvious.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Over the cap has the Steelers at 42 mil in cap space and there are a host of players that need to be cut that can free up a bunch of additional space.

I didn't look for "dead weight", and they had effective space at like 32M I think. Any of those guys you cut have to be replaced. I guess the point is we don't have a ton of $$$ to just throw around. Especially when you're looking at expensive positions like OL/QB/CB(?). And I imagine recent events will make it more likely that JJSS is back as well, so even lower cap available after that.

Kaboly has the team as having between 45 and 55m to spend depending on roster decisions in his latest Athletic article.

They can't plug every hole but a few should vanish if the money's used well.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Kaboly has the team as having between 45 and 55m to spend depending on roster decisions in his latest Athletic article.

I'm also assuming that Juju is back. Which eats up a chunk of that space. Figure at least 8M based on estimates I've seen. The only real QB FA options out there are Bridgewater and Mariota. Bridgewater will be expensive. Any real OL improvements will cost a ton as well. After those 3, it seems like only scraps will be left.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm also assuming that Juju is back. Which eats up a chunk of that space. Figure at least 8M based on estimates I've seen. The only real QB FA options out there are Bridgewater and Mariota. Bridgewater will be expensive. Any real OL improvements will cost a ton as well. After those 3, it seems like only scraps will be left.

I think at this point I'd assume they're not going QB shopping in FA unless something cheap pops up. Fix the rest of the team using free agency and the draft, look at '23 to draft a QB. Which, yeah, isn't plugging all the gaps, but can get a decent distance there (bar QB).

One possible option Kaboly brought up that I'm interested in if the team's looking for a better band aid is whether the Eagles would trade Minshew.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think at this point I'd assume they're not going QB shopping in FA unless something cheap pops up. Fix the rest of the team using free agency and the draft, look at '23 to draft a QB. Which, yeah, isn't plugging all the gaps, but can get a decent distance there (bar QB).

One possible option Kaboly brought up that I'm interested in if the team's looking for a better band aid is whether the Eagles would trade Minshew.

I think that's a reasonable path in a vacuum, but I question whether the org is willing to essentially forfeit any chance at even making the playoffs by riding MR/Haskins(?)/dumpster dive. Although I think they might feel that path actually doesn't mean missing the playoffs, which scares me even more.

Reactions: Victor Z

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Do you expect the Steelers organization to come out and say "Hey everybody, we are going to suck this upcoming season"?

How they communicate to the public and how they feel internally can be two totally different things. So I fully expect them to state no matter how they look going into the regular season next year that they will be saying they feel they can make the playoffs. And that is what management should be doing, even internally to the players, no matter how they feel overall.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Where is Haley right now? Oh right he’s out of pro football. Well he’s at least coaching in college right?

No? But where could Haley be coaching then?

Why, he was last seen coaching for Riverview High School and just got hired to be the GM of the… Tampa Bay Bandits.

You get bonus points if you know which league that is!

Where is Randy Fichtner now?

Out of pro football also you say? What!

Surely someone in the coach needy, recycled world of the NFL would want to hire these two offensive masterminds!

I can’t seem to put my finger on why these guys are out of the NFL… it’s a mystery bro.

Well, at least we know Canada will be a hot commodity that may get a second chance in another 9… 10 years!

I am seeing the common denominator here… it’s like the HC keeps hiring shitty OC that the rest of the NFL has no interest in.

And back to the question you refuse to answer - when did they score more points this season, when Roth called the plays or Canada?

It’s ok, the answer is obvious.

Coach Randy was Ben’s choice… I don’t know why you keep bringing up Ben’s garbage time stats like they’re significant. He didn’t do shit when the game mattered.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that's a reasonable path in a vacuum, but I question whether the org is willing to essentially forfeit any chance at even making the playoffs by riding MR/Haskins(?)/dumpster dive. Although I think they might feel that path actually doesn't mean missing the playoffs, which scares me even more.

Well yeah, I think they like Rudolph enough to think they can make the playoffs that way. After all, they did before. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it worked if they managed to plug the line both sides of the ball.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Coach Randy was Ben’s choice… I don’t know why you keep bringing up Ben’s garbage time stats like they’re significant. He didn’t do shit when the game counted.

RF was Tomlin’s choice. BR doesn’t hire staff or he never would have fired a guy he went to 2 SBs (amazing how they haven’t sniffed a SB since Arians “retired”).

Rewrite this season all you like, but it took BR calling the offense for just one series Sunday to outscore 6 first halves of Canada’s offense.

It’s almost like Canada didn’t know what he was doing, but as I said, I’m sure he will be another hot Tomlin coaching tree commodity when he’s fired - just like RF and Haley.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Could be closer to 60 if they move on from Tuitt and Joe shobert plus more if they restructure Watt
Ben Jones c Tennessee 3 18 million juju 4-43 Johnson cb from Carolina 3-24.Edmonds 3-18 mack colts 2-4 million

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
RF was Tomlin’s choice. BR doesn’t hire staff or he never would have fired a guy he went to 2 SBs and an AFC championship game with (amazing how they haven’t won a playoff game since Arians “retired”).

Rewrite this season all you like, but it took BR calling the offense for just one series Sunday to outscore 6 first halves of Canada’s offense.

It’s almost like Canada didn’t know what he was doing, but as I said, I’m sure he will be another hot Tomlin coaching tree commodity when he’s fired - just like RF and Haley.
Arians was getting Ben killed he threatened retirement to get Haley fired. Haley spent 2 years teaching him RPo. Fitchner let Ben be Ben. The same playbook Haley ran was used this season because that’s all Ben can do. Ben started calling his plays and yelled at Muth he then on 3-2 threw it into double coverage past dj. Muth and juju were open it wasn’t until the 2nd he looked Claypool way. All Canada added was sweeps and motion basic high stuff. Ben couldn’t take advantage of that cause he locks on pre snap whose getting the ball no matter what the read or defense is

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Arians was getting Ben killed he threatened retirement to get Haley fired. Haley spent 2 years teaching him RPo. Fitchner let Ben be Ben. The same playbook Haley ran was used this season because that’s all Ben can do. Ben started calling his plays and yelled at Muth he then on 3-2 threw it into double coverage past dj. Muth and juju were open it wasn’t until the 2nd he looked Claypool way. All Canada added was sweeps and motion basic high stuff. Ben couldn’t take advantage of that cause he locks on pre snap whose getting the ball no matter what the read or defense is

Arians getting Roth killed was always a fallacy - Steelers were looking for scapegoats after the Den loss.

Once again under Arians, Ben’s guy they got to 2 SBs.

Now a “retired” Arians is going for b2b SBs with TB.

Since Arians “retirement” and the three clowns they brought in to “change” how Roth played:

- No SB appearances
- numerous playoff embarrassments
- Haley was toiling coaching high school football
- RF is coaching no where
- Canada just ran the worst offense in modern Steelers history

I’d say it worked out beautifully since they got rid of Ben’s guy… you know, the one going for b2b SB (did I mention that yet?)

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And his had multiple top 10 defenses while he was here. He didn’t have Bosa Derwin James to start with.

He had a legendary defense in 2008.

Then the "Defensive Genius" had a chance to remake the defense in his own image following departures. What has he done with it? Get 40+ points scored on him the last 4 playoff games.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pau ... um=twitter
Paul Zeise: Steelers' standard under Mike Tomlin has been lowered

From 2011 until now, though, he has won three playoff games and his team has been horribly prepared. They have given up 171 points in their last four playoff games and all while running Tomlin’s defense.

Tomlin also needs to wear the fact that he hired an offensive coordinator who was in over his head. He also hired an offensive line coach who quit and went back to college because he was, well, in over his head.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Arians getting Roth killed was always a fallacy - Steelers were looking for scapegoats after the Den loss.

Once again under Arians, Ben’s guy they got to 2 SBs.

Now a “retired” Arians is going for b2b SBs with TB.

Since Arians “retirement” and the three clowns they brought in to “change” how Roth played:

- No SB appearances
- numerous playoff embarrassments
- Haley was toiling coaching high school football
- RF is coaching no where
- Canada just ran the worst offense in modern Steelers history

I’d say it worked out beautifully since they got rid of Ben’s guy… you know, the one going for b2b SB (did I mention that yet?)
Arians won nothing until Brady showed up and changed the offense. Arians had Luck with the colts and his air raid deep shots looked great for the colts. Haley and Ben sent records together.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pau ... um=twitter
Paul Zeise: Steelers' standard under Mike Tomlin has been lowered

From 2011 until now, though, he has won three playoff games and his team has been horribly prepared. They have given up 171 points in their last four playoff games and all while running Tomlin’s defense.

Tomlin also needs to wear the fact that he hired an offensive coordinator who was in over his head. He also hired an offensive line coach who quit and went back to college because he was, well, in over his head.
How can anyone Jude Canada when Ben was a bottom 5 QB this season.
Tomlin should have fallen on the Pouncey snap he should’ve not thrown a pick on the next play against Cleveland. He should not have finished the 1st with 3 interceptions. Against Jacksonville he should have not fumbled for a scoop and score he should have not throw an interception to set up Jacksonville for a short field. Tomlin should have played offense against KC since his HOF QB calling his own plays could not get 50 yards on offense. His defense scored 1st and held KC to 21 points with no help from Ben no huddle offense.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
How can anyone Jude Canada when Ben was a bottom 5 QB this season.
Tomlin should have fallen on the Pouncey snap he should’ve not thrown a pick on the next play against Cleveland. He should not have finished the 1st with 3 interceptions. Against Jacksonville he should have not fumbled for a scoop and score he should have not throw an interception to set up Jacksonville for a short field. Tomlin should have played offense against KC since his HOF QB calling his own plays could not get 50 yards on offense. His defense scored 1st and held KC to 21 points with no help from Ben no huddle offense.

Yes, why bother having coaches since they don't do anything

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Arians won nothing until Brady showed up and changed the offense. Arians had Luck with the colts and his air raid deep shots looked great for the colts. Haley and Ben sent records together.

Let’s go over this again so it sinks in:

- Ariana got the Steeler to two SB, won coach of the year twice (2012 and 2014), won a SB last year and likely on his way to b2b SB appearances.

- Haley is coaching high school football.

- RF is out of the league.

- Canada just ran the worst offense in Steelers history.

So ya, the common denominator is Tomlin firing Arians, and hiring three clowns, two who the NFL wants nothing to do with, and another soon to join them.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Since they will never fire him, I'd settle for the Steelers striping Tomlin of some of his control. Go back to the days where Colbert was building the team and they dictated to him who his coordinators were going to be like they did with Lebeau and Arians.

Alas, with Colbert retiring, Tomlin will probably only grab more power.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Bens last 8 weeks of passing charts

Attachments

• D5E822B3-B6EB-4FE4-BA14-D73FAB85F416.png
    D5E822B3-B6EB-4FE4-BA14-D73FAB85F416.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: T1K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events