GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Apparently we need another one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Edmonds actually was graded pretty good this season he did good job against Andrews he isn’t a super star but Minka wants him back if they get him back at 6 million a year like von bell I am ok
He leaves a lot to be desired IMO, but I agree they should probably just bring him back. They have too many other holes they need to address more.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The problem with drafting QBs is whoever's best goes way up the board even if they're a 2-3 round talent in other years or in a vacuum. So yeah I like Sam Howell maybe the way I liked the kid from Florida last year but I wouldn't draft either in the first round. Problem is you have to because of the value on the position and the number of teams who will overdraft for it.

There are a handful I guys I like, including Pickett, but not at where they will be taken. And yet, they'll never get to where I would draft them. I think I'd rather draft Ridder in 2-3 than one of those guys in the first. Maybe?

Strong is the only guy I really want them to draft - guess I could live with Pickett also, but he won’t be around.

Doubt Strong lasts long after off-season evals and he’s your prototypical, intelligent, strong arm pocket passer, so Tomlin will very likely pass him by anyway - he has a fascination with getting a Jackson type, which is ironic since he owns his ass.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem with drafting QBs is whoever's best goes way up the board even if they're a 2-3 round talent in other years or in a vacuum. So yeah I like Sam Howell maybe the way I liked the kid from Florida last year but I wouldn't draft either in the first round. Problem is you have to because of the value on the position and the number of teams who will overdraft for it.

There are a handful I guys I like, including Pickett, but not at where they will be taken. And yet, they'll never get to where I would draft them. I think I'd rather draft Ridder in 2-3 than one of those guys in the first. Maybe?

I'm going entirely on what mock draft peeps are saying but I look at the talent supposedly available and this team's needs, and I feel good about punting the QB can down the road.

Reactions: Pens1566

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm going entirely on what mock draft peeps are saying but I look at the talent supposedly available and this team's needs, and I feel good about punting the QB can down the road.

I have no issues waiting a year to find their next guy while they rebuild their O-line.

However, this team is loath to rebuild and I hope they don’t get into another 25 year cycle of trying to find a franchise guy with mid round picks and shitty trades for mediocre QBs

FA could perpetuate that cycle now as well.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Worked out quite well in Det.

They should be an ideal combo to help them accidentally tank next season.
They did not change any of the game plan against Detroit. Up until Saturday afternoon Ben was going to play Covid hit him Saturday. Even then he gave them a chance to win the game. Muth and DJ fumbled and Harris had a td called back.

Ben finished the season ranked 26 as a QB so the bar isn’t high.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Strong is the only guy I really want them to draft - guess I could live with Pickett also, but he won’t be around.

Doubt Strong lasts long after off-season evals and he’s your prototypical, intelligent, strong arm pocket passer, so Tomlin will very likely pass him by anyway - he has a fascination with getting a Jackson type, which is ironic since he owns his ass.
Strong is the only QB Tomlin will pass on. He wants a Maholmes Allen Herbert burrow guy who can throw move with in the pocket and run for first downs. He wants a younger Ben

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
However, this team is loath to rebuild and I hope they don’t get into another 25 year cycle of trying to find a franchise guy with mid round picks and shitty trades for mediocre QBs

I'm with you here but whoever the next GM is will have to make the right choice(s). Lots of examples, as you of course are aware, of top 10 guys also not being the answer.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Worst case scenario is they draft one of these shitty QBs, although Corral is the best of the group

Second worst case scenario is they get one of these mid tier starters like a Garrappolo or Carr and get stuck in 9-8 or 8-9 purgatory

Third worst scenario is they trade away a bunch of 1st round picks and pay a huge contract to a Wilson or Rodgers and don’t have the cap space or picks to build a team around them.

Best case scenario is rebuild the lines this off-season, ride the Rudolph to a losing record next year, then aggressively target and get a franchise QB next draft.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
What's most frustrating about these coaches: They make assumptions about what the team/players can do - as all coaches would - but they remain committed to that crap even when they see evidence to the contrary week after week.

It's always a problem with execution. And on the rare occasions Tomlin blames scheme, it's only because they were limited by personnel. That's just lazy and incompetent. There's no excuse for that offense. And there's no excuse for your defense regularly getting rolled for 200+ yards on the ground. No one is pretending they had the talent to win a SB, but when you're that bad it's coaching and scheme.

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They did not change any of the game plan against Detroit. Up until Saturday afternoon Ben was going to play Covid hit him Saturday. Even then he gave them a chance to win the game. Muth and DJ fumbled and Harris had a td called back.

Ben finished the season ranked 26 as a QB so the bar isn’t high.

Interesting how everything is Ben’s fault, but when it’s another Qb, it’s everyone else’s fault.

I’ll enjoy the excuse making next year when reality hits you.

I'm with you here but whoever the next GM is will have to make the right choice(s). Lots of examples, as you of course are aware, of top 10 guys also not being the answer.

Nothing is a sure thing, but the Steelers have hit on HOF franchise QBS the last two times they picked high.

The only other #1 pick was Malone in between those two and he was picked last in the first round as they had just won a SB.

Given all the other evidence of guys acquired through various ways in between, I’d say their best chance is a top 12 pick to finding their next franchise QB.

Basically I’m saying hopefully next draft (so don’t get mad when I’m rooting agt them again).

Last edited:

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Getting run on is mostly about the players imo. They don't have the players to be able to stop it from a basic sense. If they sell out to stop it then the other team gouges them in the pass.

Heyward is good but the rest of the DL is extremely lacking, the middle linebackers are crap. And TJ is not a good run stopper either, I'm ok with that because he is so good on passing downs. Minkah and Edwards aren't good either at stopping the run.

But the main issue is the defensive line. They will need to spend a pick and get someone in FA.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Basically I’m saying hopefully next draft (so don’t get mad when I’m rooting agt them again).

I probably will. Unless you stop telling me I'm a lesser fan for hoping they win! (Eh, we'll both probably do it.)

You're right of course about the chances but the next GM will still have to get it right. I just meant to say even the best opportunity doesn't guarantee it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Look at the QBs left in the playoffs and any dweeb can see Rudolph ain’t the answer…Allen, Mahomes, Burrows, Tannehill were all basically top ten picks or close….Brady (super smart and incredible work ethic), Rodgers, Stafford ….if the Steelers want to get back to winning playoff games they need to pick a QB high in the first round again and hope they hit…they better look for high football IQ first and foremost, mobility and accuracy, over other physical traits…

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I probably will. Unless you stop telling me I'm a lesser fan for hoping they win! (Eh, we'll both probably do it.)

You're right of course about the chances but the next GM will still have to get it right. I just meant to say even the best opportunity doesn't guarantee it.

I don’t see anyone as a lesser fan now a days - I don’t care much about what my collectible fan card stats say.

I just care about seeing the team I was so passionate about as a kid not be embarrassed anymore.

I generally am like a 3/10 for the passion I had for this team in my younger days, but I’ll never turn off caring about them being a great org again.

Steelers are a very stubborn org set in their ways, so it will take a huge wake up call for AR2 to get out of this delusional state his team is a contender.

That is why I root agt them - out of love and a hope for change and something better than this purgatory.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don’t see anyone as a lesser fan now a days - I don’t care much about what my collectible fan card stats say.

I just care about seeing the team I was so passionate about as a kid not be embarrassed anymore.

I generally am like a 3/10 for the passion I had for this team in my younger days, but I’ll never turn off caring about them being a great org again.

Steelers are a very stubborn org set in their ways, so it will take a huge wake up call for AR2 to get out of this delusional state his team is a contender.

That is why I root agt them - out of love and a hope for change and something better than this purgatory.

Indeed and that works for you and more power to you. But there are other thoughts about winning and losing that are also held by good fans.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Getting run on is mostly about the players imo. They don't have the players to be able to stop it from a basic sense. If they sell out to stop it then the other team gouges them in the pass.

Heyward is good but the rest of the DL is extremely lacking, the middle linebackers are crap. And TJ is not a good run stopper either, I'm ok with that because he is so good on passing downs. Minkah and Edwards aren't good either at stopping the run.

But the main issue is the defensive line. They will need to spend a pick and get someone in FA.

Depends a little on what Tuitt and Alalu are doing next, no?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Look at the QBs left in the playoffs and any dweeb can see Rudolph ain’t the answer…Allen, Mahomes, Burrows, Tannehill were all basically top ten picks or close….Brady (super smart and incredible work ethic), Rodgers, Stafford ….if the Steelers want to get back to winning playoff games they need to pick a QB high in the first round again and hope they hit…they better look for high football IQ first and foremost, mobility and accuracy, over other physical traits…
That’s kinda the point we aren’t winning next year we didn’t belong in the playoffs this year. If all Mason is our cam Newton before we can draft mac Jones that’s fine. We traded 25 million in cap space 2 5th one was a comp we lost playing hagg over banner and Witherspoon a 6th just to go 9-7-7-1 with the guy AR2 said gave us the best chance to win a championship. We have kicked the can down the road to much
Haden is gone no one has heard from Tuitt about his plans next year Tyson has confirmed he is returning. RG and RT are question marks is green a c we have 2 wr under contract Edmonds Witherspoon need Re upped.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He could be the answer to them having a pick high enough to draft a QB. Means to an end.

I don’t know enough about the draft class for QBs next year versus this year, only that it’s reported to be better…I don’t really follow the draft…I still think they should select a QB they like in the first round this year if he’s available…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don’t know enough about the draft class for QBs next year versus this year, only that it’s reported to be better…I don’t really follow the draft…I still think they should select a QB they like in the first round this year if he’s available…
Next year strouds from Ohio state Young from Alabama Phil from Boston College a young Ben and Fresno state has a guy all are better than Pickett the top guy from this class

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If they see a guy they really believe in, think he's a nigh cert to be a to 10 starter in this league, then yeah they should do it. But - if they have the slightest doubt - if it's merely like rather than love - I don't think they should do it. Nevermind the chance of picking higher, or next year supposedly being better - this side has too many holes to be a cool landing spot for a kid. Send him out there and he's probably going to bust. If the plan is have him sit for a year, why not just make the rest of the team better now and select the QB later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad