Prospect Info: The Pavel Buchnevich Thread (Scores 2 Goals + Assist on Turkey Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Severstal' is not having a start to the season the organization wanted or expected. A couple of more loses and there will be some changes (most likely getting rid of a head coach). For what it's worth Buchnevich was counted on to lead this hapless team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've watched parts of some games. He's doing really well, but he has absolutely no help, and they are really bad defensively. I don't think its fair to rely on him to do everything.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
If what you guys are saying is true this is horrible for a young player to play on a team like this . He will get use to hanging and not getting back and making those good defensive plays. This is definitely not a situation the Rangers are happy for him to be spending an entire season playing on a team like this

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
They probably can't get him to North America from the KHL like William Nylander from the SHL last year, right?

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Not that Buchnevich's play does anything to help it (he wasn't good outside of the game vs Riga), but Severstal now has scored 8 Regulation time goals in 6 games. That's just terrible, especially for the KHL.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Not that Buchnevich's play does anything to help it (he wasn't good outside of the game vs Riga), but Severstal now has scored 8 Regulation time goals in 6 games. That's just terrible, especially for the KHL.

He needs to get the hell out of that garbage team. At this point it IS hurting his development playing on such a bush league team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think he's been fine. At the KHL level, he's like a Nash for the Rangers. You can complain about him not playing well, but his bad games are usually good games for most players.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Anything else aside, being by far the best player on a bad team makes it hard to practice certain aspects of the game. Hard to be a playmaker when nobody can finish for example. You can only shoot it off your teammates sticks so often.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think he's been fine. At the KHL level, he's like a Nash for the Rangers. You can complain about him not playing well, but his bad games are usually good games for most players.

He should be playing in America. Until he does, I expect more bogus evaluations like this.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
If he was anything amazing he'd be here tearing it up like Tarasenko. He's just another middling prospect like all our other "awesome" prospects that come here and have 50 point seasons.

I mean seriously who have we gotten out of our system in the last (no ****) 20+ years that put up 60+ points? Stepan? Can't think of another one honestly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should be playing in America. Until he does, I expect more bogus evaluations like this.

What's bogus about it? He plays on a bad team with bad line mates. Hockey's not a one man game. Have you watched the games to say he's been bad?

How about you follow Alex Nunn on twitter who writes about prospects in Europe for Blueshirt Banter and seems to watch every single game? He also has praised Buchnevich so far this season.https://twitter.com/aj_ranger

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he was playing for CSKA or SKA, I think he'd have another three or four points now and people wouldn't be freaking out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If he was anything amazing he'd be here tearing it up like Tarasenko. He's just another middling prospect like all our other "awesome" prospects that come here and have 50 point seasons.

I mean seriously who have we gotten out of our system in the last (no ****) 20+ years that put up 60+ points? Stepan? Can't think of another one honestly.

Tarasenko played in Russia until he was 21. He only moved here for the 2013 season. Buchnevich is 20 now.

Tarasenko's path:

17 years old - 42GP, 24P (KHL)
18 years old - 42GP, 19P (KHL)
19 years old - 39GP, 38P (KHL)
20 years old - 31GP, 32P (KHL)
21 years old - 38GP, 19P (NHL)
22 years old - 64GP, 43P (NHL)
23 years old - 77GP, 73P (NHL)

Buchnevich's path:

17 years old - 12GP, 2P (KHL)
18 years old - 40GP, 18P (KHL)
19 years old - 48GP, 30P (KHL)
20 years old - currently busy with his 4th KHL season

But yeah, just compare Buchnevich at age 20 to Tarasenko at age 23.

Oh, and Tarasenko played on teams like SKA St. Petersburg and Sibir. Better teams than Severstal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

No Sather-drafted player in his stint as GM has ever broken 60 points as a Ranger

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
While doing some reading this morning on a Russian defenseman named Nikita Zaitsev who I am about to mention in the roster thread, I stumbled upon news that there is supposed to be a transfer agreement system between the NHL and KHL in place after this season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
His style is similar to malkin but just doesn't have the bulk.

Naah, why compare him to Malkin? Zucc is like Malkin too but 11 inches shorter and slower. ;)

What does Buchnevich have? I would like to point out the following abilities:

-He is a very smart and systematic scoring winger. He takes part of the play with the puck all over the ice, he is at the right place giving his linemates an option to pass with, he knows what to do with the puck when he gets it, and hence his unit is often good at getting up the ice. Once in the attacking zone he is really good at taking part of working a defense so to speak. He finds open ice, he knows what to do with the puck when he gets it, and he plays with a purpose and is really good at seing plays 2-3 steps ahead. Often taking parts of give and go's while his line gets close to the net. Rarely any ineffective plays, illadvised stick-handling moves, shots etc. Simple smart and effective offensive hockey.

In this sense he reminds me a lot of Loui Eriksson. Loui had 36 goals in a season and three 70+ pts seasons in 4 years for Dallas. But he have never been a very talented hockey player. Several times I've experienced Loui joining the Swedish WCH's team "as the big star". And the reaction has always been the same, "Loui is going to be the big leader [fast forward 2.5 hrs till after the first game] ... Loui Eriksson was certainly a dissapointment he looked very mediocre is he tired after flying from NA to Europe? [fast forward to after the tournament] ... Loui managed to grow into his role somewhat, what really has impressed me is just how focused he is and how much he pays attention to details". I've seen him since he was 17 y/o, he has never been more talented than a Lauri Korpikoski in terms of skating, shooting, stickhandling etc.

Pavel Buchnevich will not woe people with his skating or slapper or whatever, either. He isn't that talented. Don't expect someone to come in flying like Maxim Afinegenov II. Or someone dazzling with the puck like Zherdev but with a purpose. But I -- love -- his offensive smarts and how focused he is with the puck and in his offensive game. Get up ice, get the puck to the net, get up ice, get the puck to the net, get up ice, get the puck to the net.

-Pavel Buchnevich is strong at protecteing the puck in Europe and was strong at it at the WJCs. But please remember that this is -- by far -- the one area were the NHL seperates it self from Europe and junior hockey.

In Europe and in juniors, Ds are a lot weaker physically AND you have a significant problem with "checking from behind", in the sense that forwards are able to take advantage of the ban of it by turning their backs to the ice to "protect" themselves from getting hit. A big mean D comes at you? Perfect just turn your back against him and he will get yanked if he is hit you (and hence Ds have started to not hit players from behind). In the NHL, you are planted against the walls and stripped of the puck unles you shoulder to shoulder can over power the D.

I don't know if this is the reason people compare Buchnevich to Malkin? But I can promise that Buch not will be a monster around the boards anytime soon in the NHL. He could become strong on the puck in general, but its going to take some time and a lot of work.

-Buch has flashy stick handle moves in him, and he is going to pull off a move here and there over the course of a season in the NHL too. But like I already said, he isn't going to be Zherdev II. Its just too tough for him to play that style and its not effective for him even at lower levels.

But he is a very functional player and if backed into a corner he has a good shot at doing something extra to find a option to keep the puck in play so to speak.

Overall I think he compares best to a Loui Eriksson for those who knows him well. Its that type of player he can become. 30+ goals or 70pts is best case scenario which is awsome, just great, but its not going to come from him putting on a clinic or like even being our version of a Zach Parise or someone like that. Its going to come from him being very dilligent on the ice and focused and effective and smart. I think its much closer to compare him to a Kucherov than a Malkin or AO or even Tarasenko.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If he was playing for CSKA or SKA, I think he'd have another three or four points now and people wouldn't be freaking out.

I see no problem what-so-ever with him playing on a sub-par team. Maybe if he was an offensive D Id worry, but its not like a goto forward on a avg. to sub-par team is playing defense all the time anyway.

If someone want to wait till he matches some other Russian kids numbers and run to the prospect board and hype him to death, it of course sucks that he isn't getting prime numbers. But thats a bit of a luxury problem I think... ;)

Hank Zetterberg played for a worthless team in Sweden his last SHL season before he went to Detroit. In his first SHL season his team had just been promoted and Z had an unbeliveable year with 46 pts in 47 games and it was his big break through, and his team rode on the positive atmostphere it had after being promoted. The year after his team fell apart and Z had to play a lot more defense and went on to score 32 pts in 48 games and he wasn't nearly the same factor offensively. Think it did him real good though, had to take a ton of responsibility and he faced a lot of adversity.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. I just think its really deceiving a lot of people. He is not playing badly.

I also agree that he is a very smart and effective hockey player. His defense has improved a lot and he seems to make the right decision in the offensive zone, whether its a shot or pass. He has a lot of skill though. I really wouldn't underestimate that. He can make KHL defenders look really bad at times.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
severstal is brutal but I'm not concerned about that effecting pavel. in fact, I'm looking forward to him leaving russia sooner. the worlds may mess that up, but severstal being bad isn't a concern development wise at all.

he doesnt need to be here, in hartford, to develop his skills. already got them. he needs to play lots of minutes in all circumstances and lead by example. get stronger and mature, then come here and kick ass.

don't forget, buchnevich has elite puck possession skills. his tools, in that regard, are very good and nhl level now. more physical strength and more confidence only makes him more dangerous.

he has the ability to possess the puck, distribute it, and if he keeps it, do something good with it. thats a special talent and one that we need badly in this organization.

we have offensive guys now who are somewhat robotic and mechanical. nash, kreider and jt miller come to mind. all skilled but with less flair and creativity and more straight ahead instincts.

other than zuke, there really isn't anyone else whose creative. maybe k hayes.

pavel is different. he needs to get here soon.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Loui Erikkson is a good comparision, I'll through a few more.

JVR out there except he's more East/West than North/South... a little more slippery and finesse and a little less power.

There's some Benoit Pouliot too, speed skill, but not as north/south as Poo, but with with a better shot.

The closest imo though is one Jonathan Huberdeau. Pretty much identical in terms of play style and skill. Still needs to fill out to score more to battle down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad