Prospect Info: The Pavel Buchnevich Thread (Scores 2 Goals + Assist on Turkey Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yes we have a general prospect thread, but he's our top prospect, and a top forward prospect in the NHL, also this is a "Prospect" hockey message board after all ;)

"Pavel Buchnevich named the 14th top prospect on Corey Pronman’s list of the top 100 NHL prospects. (ESPN Insider)"

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwriownkowm0mtm3njm1ztllngrkodu2y2e4mji3ndbh.jpeg

------------------------------------------------------------
Season Stats:

GP: 33 | G: 12 | A: 14 | P: 26 (.79 Points per Game) | PIM: 14 | +2 | SOG: 97

Last Game: 5-4 SO Loss (2G/1A/3P)
Next Game: ---
--
Severstal's Team Record: 14-17-2 (Ranked 26th out of 28th in league)

------------------------------------------------------------
1st goal of the season (start at 3:17):

Last edited:

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
I dunno but you'd think with a good shot to make a team that made the Conference Finals last season and the Stanley Cup finals the previous season, he woulda come over.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I hope he comes over soon. I thought I read somewhere that he wanted to but said he wanted some job security over here with the Rangers before he packed up and left Russia, but damn I want him to come over. I think he would do pretty well here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've said it before, but I'm pretty okay with him staying overseas this season. He's got a lot of talent, but there are still elements of his game to be worked on and if he feels comfortable working on them in Russia, so be it.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Other side of that coin is that there is some limit to honing skills there instead of coming over to the big leagues. Personally wanted him here by now but don't think 1 more year would be bad... but after that it should be time

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Other side of that coin is that there is some limit to honing skills there instead of coming over to the big leagues. Personally wanted him here by now but don't think 1 more year would be bad... but after that it should be time

i dont think there is a limit for a player of his age in a top professional league.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I've said it before, but I'm pretty okay with him staying overseas this season. He's got a lot of talent, but there are still elements of his game to be worked on and if he feels comfortable working on them in Russia, so be it.

agree. Him staying in Russia is a good thing imo. Play alot and improve playing in the second best league in the world. Not really a bad thing for a 20 year old. Not easy to come over and play against the best players in the world. Will get alot of experince playing with the big boys in Russia and i think thats as good if not better then coming over to the US for him at this point. No reason coming over and have him on the 3rd or 4th line or in the AHL if he doesnt get a top 6 spot right away.. Better of in Russia so when he comes over he is good enough to be atleast a top 9 forward for us.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
So you have to be 25 to come over to NA?

i didnt say that. are you being intentionally thick? hes 20 years old and obviously has not outgrown the league he plays in. the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world and he will improve a lot being one of the top players on his team. if he were 25 or so and really dominating then there may be a point saying hes reached a limit of how much he could improve at that level, but he isnt that old nor has he had a dominating season in the KHL yet.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
So you have to be 25 to come over to NA?

Yup, exactly what they said/meant.

If Buch wants to stay in Russia, which he is going to do for this season, then that's pretty much that for now. Hope he makes some decent progress with the language barrier this year so his comfort level hopefully rises.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Buch could even stay in Russia next year and sign a 2 year ELC, burn that 1st year off at the end of next season, and basically play on a 1 year ELC from age 22-23 before trying to cash in.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think his staying over there has to do with money more than anything. He's a star on his team. He's a star talent. He knows what he's doing.

I don't have a problem with him staying this season, but I hope he signs in time for the playoffs. Having a game breaker on the 3rd line against weak competition could bust things open for the Rangers.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He'd look mighty nice on Stepan's wing. Disappointed he didn't come to NA this season - but there are certainly worse places to be than the KHL for a developing forward. Let him have a good year there, and he'll be here in the top-6 come 16-17.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His KHL team uses him terribly. He's the best player on the team, but only plays the second PP and wasn't even out there for a 4-3 in OT. They also use him on the PK, which is interesting given that a lot of us think he doesn't put enough effort into the defensive side of the game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
His KHL team uses him terribly. He's the best player on the team, but only plays the second PP and wasn't even out there for a 4-3 in OT. They also use him on the PK, which is interesting given that a lot of us think he doesn't put enough effort into the defensive side of the game.

Really hope he gets traded to a contender at some point in the season, the team he is on is garbage.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Really hope he gets traded to a contender at some point in the season, the team he is on is garbage.

If you want him to be able to come over when the KHL regular season ends, you'd better hope he stays with a non playoff team.

And him playing PK is not a bad thing. From what I've seen, he needs to develop his defensive game if he wants to play in the NHL. Could be exactly what he needs.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A player joining the team in April is a rare exception, not the rule. Every year since Kreider we hear that our top prospect will join the team for the playoffs and it never happens. If Butcher comes over in April, he'll do what Skjei did: go to Hartford to adjust to the new type of game. The Rangers won't waste his ELC year unless they are in desperate need of a player and Butcher is head and shoulders above a top-9 Ranger.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He's playing on bigger ice... that's my only issue. Making the transition from any league to the speed/size of NHL players is hard enough, take away the space you're used to as well and it's a very tough thing to adjust.

He's young. There's time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A player joining the team in April is a rare exception, not the rule. Every year since Kreider we hear that our top prospect will join the team for the playoffs and it never happens. If Butcher comes over in April, he'll do what Skjei did: go to Hartford to adjust to the new type of game. The Rangers won't waste his ELC year unless they are in desperate need of a player and Butcher is head and shoulders above a top-9 Ranger.

Unless we are making two acquisitions this season, we are relying on players like Etem, Stalberg and Fast for top 9 minutes. He might be head and shoulders above what we have.

We have not adequately replaced Hagelin and St. Louis yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad