The Panarin Situation, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Professional hockey players during the all star break...? :dunno:

You might not be happy to find out what they are drinking with dinner.

Do the restaurants in Columbus close at 11pm?

I have no issues with them eating dinner at 11 or whatever, but it is weird. My "concern" is nothing like what you're making it seem like.

I bet they close sooner than the 5 star gourmet places you have in Michigan.

Last edited:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Let's hope their is a resolution to the meeting one way or another.
Hope he wants to stay! But if he doesn't I hope he says that and not somehow strings the CBJ along. Not that it changes what we do if he wants to leave (I still don't believe dumping him for a bad return is better than riding it out and seeing if we can catch fire in the playoffs).
In reality the meeting shouldn't last much more than 5 minutes. What's there to talk about? Jarmo should ask Milstein if Panarin is going to resign with the CBJ. If he says no, then that's that. If he says yes, then Jarmo should take out a 8 year $80M contract for him to sign. If Milstein hems and haws about staying or going, then Jarmo should say see ya.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Its the contrast that makes such places so attractive at times. Winter becomes summer, work suddenly trades place for lots of partying and lots of great sex.

I hope Artemiy is wise enough to understand that living there would remove the contrast and all those holiday pleasures.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In reality the meeting shouldn't last much more than 5 minutes. What's there to talk about? Jarmo should ask Milstein if Panarin is going to resign with the CBJ. If he says no, then that's that. If he says yes, then Jarmo should take out a 8 year $80M contract for him to sign. If Milstein hems and haws about staying or going, then Jarmo should say see ya.

Pretty much it.

While there might be a little play with the exact number, NMC and signing bonus portion of the contract, Jarmo should be able to make a pretty accurate call on whether there is a realistic chance of signing him.

I'd give it two weeks after the meeting for a signing (or very probable imminent agreement) or, if not, start burning the phone lines to get a deal done.

I just can't see this organization losing two top assets with nothing coming back.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein, planned to have a gathering with Panarin and some of his other clients last Sunday in Miami, the first day of this prolonged break.

This wasn’t a formal meeting, just a get-together among friends and fellow Russian NHL players, celebrating the first half of the season and, in some cases, All-Star berths.

Milstein, one of the NHL’s top jet-setters, was in San Jose, Calif., and Red Deer, Alberta, earlier this week, before flying back to South Beach for a formal meeting with Panarin, likely Friday or Saturday.

It’s the formal meeting that interests the Blue Jackets.

Sources have told The Athletic that any suggestion of a “gentleman’s agreement” on contract terms would not be acceptable to the Blue Jackets. They’d want ink on the contract.

The feeling around the NHL and within the Blue Jackets is that Panarin has warmed, if only slightly, toward staying in Columbus. He gets along very well in the dressing room and has a strong relationship with coach John Tortorella. Area businesses — small-batch distillers, dentists, you name it — have begged him to stay with lifetime offers. (Minor note: He’s already got free dentistry through the NHL.)

On Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky, and the trade...

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I have no issues with them eating dinner at 11 or whatever, but it is weird. My "concern" is nothing like what you're making it seem like.

I bet they close sooner than the 5 star gourmet places you have in Michigan.

Ok, I am a bit confused.

What's wrong with eating dinner and drinking with a group of friends and business partners at 11:30pm while essentially on a vacation with nearly a week off?

Why don't you explain what your "concern" IS...

Remember, Werenski was born and raised in MI. ;)

Reactions: Fro

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
For the first half of the season sure... what trophy does that get you??

It doesn't give you the "look how terribly this worked out for the Islanders we better not make the same mistake with Panarin" trophy, that's for sure. That argument never made sense, makes even less sense now.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If I've learned anything here its that we cant win without Panarin OR even win with Panarin.

So what's even the point of any of "this"?

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If I've learned anything here its that we cant win without Panarin OR even win with Panarin.

So what's even the point of any of "this"?

Wrong. We can with WITH Panarin AND without him. But you know that. Good bait!

Reactions: thebus88

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It doesn't give you the "look how terribly this worked out for the Islanders we better not make the same mistake with Panarin" trophy, that's for sure. That argument never made sense, makes even less sense now.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to judge a team for where they finished in the standings at the mid-point. That we should agree upon.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Another thing with Panarin, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have to convince or even bribe him to stay with us. If he's not sold on Columbus and the CBJ pretty close to 100%, then I can see Jeff Carter type problems down the road if the club isn't as successful as we all hope.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to judge a team for where they finished in the standings at the mid-point. That we should agree upon.

We can talk about the Islanders' success at the halfway point if you want, but I was trying to point out that the Islanders' situation with regard to Tavares should have no bearing on what CBJ does with Panarin.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Any more copy and paste possible.....

Anybody.....

Sorry, Portz.

I mean I can quote more of the article if you want, but the only stuff that matters with Panarin is what I put there. What else do you want?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
We can talk about the Islanders' success at the halfway point if you want, but I was trying to point out that the Islanders' situation with regard to Tavares should have no bearing on what CBJ does with Panarin.
Let’s be real, Trotz is a MUCH better coach than Tortz

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thought that just occurred to me: If you believe the Jackets can win without Panarin as some here have said, then trading him at the TDL shouldn't be an issue. I don't believe they can.
If Jarmo & Co. decide to trade him I'm ok with that but if they want to go for it now then I think they should keep him.
Hopefully he signs a deal in the next couple of weeks and all of this becomes a nonissue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad