The Panarin Situation, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Do you have any millenarian prophecies to go with that? What about some investment advice?

Yes, BOBBY WILL BE TRADED SOON.

And Korpisalo and Panarin will lead us into the 2nd round. As I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU.

HAHAHA, some of you just wont listen and trust me. Look at how quickly the narratives and excuses change.

Simple question, what would you need to be told has happened before you could feel that Bobrovsky could POSSIBLY have a negative affect on the team or the possibility of Panarin re-signing in the future.

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND IF YOU THINK THERE IS ANY WAY (up until this point) THAT BOB HAS PLAYED A POSITIVE AFFECT ON PANARIN POSSIBLY STAYING.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, BOBBY WILL BE TRADED SOON.

And Korpisalo and Panarin will lead us into the 2nd round. As I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU.

HAHAHA, some of you just wont listen and trust me. Look at how quickly the narratives and excuses change.

Simple question, what would you need to be told has happened before you could feel that Bobrovsky could POSSIBLY have a negative affect on the team or the possibility of Panarin re-signing in the future.

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND IF YOU THINK THERE IS ANY WAY (up until this point) THAT BOB HAS PLAYED A POSITIVE AFFECT ON PANARIN POSSIBLY STAYING.
None of this is a counterargument to major major's point. The point was expressing criticism of your insisting on certainty in a vague situation, not positing that the opposite of your assertions were true.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
None of this is a counterargument to major major's point. The point was expressing criticism of your insisting on certainty in a vague situation, not positing that the opposite of your assertions were true.

I get it, I'm "wrong" until I'm right. We are pretty far past "vague" though. You would need a transcript and CNN "analyst" to tell you that Bobrovsky told Jarmo and Jones to "f*** off", before you would admit to anything negative about Bobby at this point it seems. The fact that some of you completely downplay how uncommon of a situation this is, says it all.

Your stage of grief is : First Stage of Grief: Denial | eCondolence.com........DENIAL

If Bob isn't having a POSITIVE effect on Panarin staying, he IS having a NEGATIVE effect. Pretty simple to me.

But, again, maybe we are BOTH right, and maybe Bob's extreme negativity is actually "counterproductive" and Panarin realizes that he shouldn't pay ANY attention to the views or comments that an "unstable" goalie who DOESNT want to be in a certain place would say about said place or people/team involved.

And boy, does Panarin seem to be having MORE AND MORE FUN the longer he spends time here or what?

Him and Bobrovsky's ATTITUDES and ACTIONS and PLAY couldn't be MORE DIFFERENT. And you try and tell me that Bob isn't influencing him in ANY WAY? Or that its constructive to Panarin's relationship or possible future in Columbus?

Wonder if he told Panarin to "no show" the meeting over the summer.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And boy, does Panarin seem to be having MORE AND MORE FUN the longer he spends time here or what?

He certainly doesn't appear to be having any less fun. The question is, and I think it's a legitimate one given what we know of Bread's personality, whether that is instructive in any way regarding any of this, from Bob's influence or lack thereof to the chances of him re-signing here.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

Him and Bobrovsky's ATTITUDES and ACTIONS and PLAY couldn't be MORE DIFFERENT. And you try and tell me that Bob isn't influencing him in ANY WAY? Or that its constructive to Panarin's relationship or possible future in Columbus?

For all we know maybe Panarin can't wait to ditch our team. It could be that he's simply a better poker player than Bob is.

I guess we'll all know later this month if he's playing an open hand for all to see or is bluffing like a pro.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
For all we know maybe Panarin can't wait to ditch our team. It could be that he's simply a better poker player than Bob is.

I guess we'll all know later this month if he's playing an open hand for all to see or is bluffing like a pro.
I think his mind has been made for a while. He’s just like a teenage girl and loves all the attention he’s getting.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This does not account for the possibility of "no effect", or "no effect of any substance".

That could be said for many, most players on the team.

To say that Bobrovsky has "no effect" on Panarin's possible future on the CBJ would be EXTREMELY NAIVE, imo.

He certainly doesn't appear to be having any less fun. The question is, and I think it's a legitimate one given what we know of Bread's personality, whether that is instructive in any way regarding any of this, from Bob's influence or lack thereof to the chances of him re-signing here.

I guess, your perfectly fine in thinking that none of this is "related" in ANY way. Am I, for thinking the complete opposite? Remember, I "stick to my guns". I've been saying negative things about Bob, noticed the negative body language, the negative comments between him and the FO, for a LONG TIME. All this " Vezina's, hardest worker, great teammate" BS thrown back at my way. Team gets ZERO CREDIT for their goalie getting that award and people REALLY have no idea about how good of a "teammate" he is. Seems skinny also for a guy that's supposedly some workout freak.

AND WHAT IS THE EXPLANATION or EXCUSE for Bobby "acting out", against the team or Jarmo. Where does this fit, in the conversation of "mental strength" or being a "good teammate"? Why right now? Simply a brief lapse?

Or.

If we want to play this game. MAYBE we should look into the timing of Bob's emotional outburst. I wonder if maybe it has EVERYTHING to do with the deadline coming up, and that Bob has gotten word that Panarin actually IS looking strongly at re-signing, and that this has somewhat "triggered" Bob. Its not even like the team has been going through some rough stretch.

And, forget Panarin for a sec. WHAT WE DO KNOW, is that BOB can't wait to ditch the CBJ. He quite literally admitted it. And look at the on ice play this year and all the red flags surrounding Bob on and off the ice.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
And, forget Panarin for a sec. WHAT WE DO KNOW, is that BOB can't wait to ditch the CBJ. He quite literally admitted it. And look at the on ice play this year and all the red flags surrounding Bob on and off the ice.

Too bad front office ignored the obvious.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

It could be that Bob wants to be here in the absolute worst way, but the CBJ are not making an offer that works ($, term or both, though most likely term). It is likely that Bob gets the contract offer he is looking for (including 7-year term) from at least one if not several teams, but probably not term from CBJ. And taking the assumption as true (that he really would like to stay here), and seeing more clearly every day that staying may not be a possibility because from an economic perspective he's got to take (and will get) 7-year term from someone, ....then he's got to be emotionally upset that it is not going to work. I've seen business partners, the highly successful ones, have this very reaction. They want the sky, the business can only give them half the sky, and they run emotionally hot for a while because they want to stay put, the organization values them, but the organization's needs and the individual's needs don't match up. Bob is emotional - part of what makes him great most times, and probably part of what makes us doubt his ability under pressure (PO or otherwise) at other times. If all of this true (doesn't matter whether it is or isn't), that still doesn't excuse the "inappropriate" behavior last week (whatever it was), but it does explain it. And no matter how "bad" the behavior might have been, yes the relationship would still be recoverable if he and the CBJ want to recover it. But even if both sides can recover the relationship, the length of term on the contract will be an extremely sticky wicket, and one not likely to be resolved in a way that keeps Bob here after the season.

I've not seen a thing in the past (prior to last week) to suggest that Bob is anything but a consummate teammate. Last week: pretty clear was not his finest hour, whatever happened. But that does not eliminate several years of great play and great attitude toward CBJ. It does require some adept handling by management, coach, teammates and Bob to truly clear the air, if they all want that. But even if all come out with a truly honest "Foligno Hug" it still likely means Bob is wearing another team's sweater next season, unless CBJ runs the table and Bob is a big reason for hoisting the Cup - because that would be the only circumstance that I could see FO giving enough term to Bob to economically make sense for him to stay.

On the other hand, if Panarin does not intend to be here after this summer, why wouldn't he be having fun right now, as JP suggests? Not so much Panarin being a good poker player as simply knowing the big payday, in a location that Panarin gets to choose (including possibly here), is right around the corner. In other words, he's in the proverbial catbird's seat. Even if he intends to stay, why not see what $$$ the market might pay him, and then use that to set the price for a contract with CBJ. And the same holds true if he simply doesn't know where he wants to be and just wants to explore the market - he gets to see both $$$ and location options.

To me, it isn't just that Panarin is handling the UFA situation differently (some say better) than Bob, it is that their respective circumstances are vastly different. Bob is at UFA contract #2; he is in a position that carries higher stress, especially come PO's, and pucks are going in the net at highly elevated rate this season, not just as to him, but across the league (in part due to G equipment changes). For Panarin, this is UFA contract #1 -- the world is his oyster. He's in a great spot NO MATTER WHAT HE WANTS (or doesn't want). We can all wish that Bob and Panarin would treat the situation the same - but they are significantly different personalities, with different circumstances.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is factually correct - the various hypotheses suggested are simply a few of virtually hundreds of possible reasons, with many nuances, for what has happened and will happen with regard to Bob's and Panarin's contracts and on-ice performance. And we aren't privy to any of them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I guess, your perfectly fine in thinking that none of this is "related" in ANY way. Am I, for thinking the complete opposite? Remember, I "stick to my guns". I've been saying negative things about Bob, noticed the negative body language, the negative comments between him and the FO, for a LONG TIME. All this " Vezina's, hardest worker, great teammate" BS thrown back at my way. Team gets ZERO CREDIT for their goalie getting that award and people REALLY have no idea about how good of a "teammate" he is. Seems skinny also for a guy that's supposedly some workout freak.

Aren't you a joy? I asked a f***ing question, but instead of just answering it by offering an opinion, you tried to make me and everyone else 'wrong' in the process, somehow elevating yourself. And yet, you don't really address my post at all, in which I asked whether anything you were talking about had any impact on what Panarin is thinking.

It could be that Bob wants to be here in the absolute worst way, but the CBJ are not making an offer that works ($, term or both, though most likely term). It is likely that Bob gets the contract offer he is looking for (including 7-year term) from at least one if not several teams, but probably not term from CBJ. And taking the assumption as true (that he really would like to stay here), and seeing more clearly every day that staying may not be a possibility because from an economic perspective he's got to take (and will get) 7-year term from someone, ....then he's got to be emotionally upset that it is not going to work. I've seen business partners, the highly successful ones, have this very reaction. They want the sky, the business can only give them half the sky, and they run emotionally hot for a while because they want to stay put, the organization values them, but the organization's needs and the individual's needs don't match up. Bob is emotional - part of what makes him great most times, and probably part of what makes us doubt his ability under pressure (PO or otherwise) at other times. If all of this true (doesn't matter whether it is or isn't), that still doesn't excuse the "inappropriate" behavior last week (whatever it was), but it does explain it. And no matter how "bad" the behavior might have been, yes the relationship would still be recoverable if he and the CBJ want to recover it. But even if both sides can recover the relationship, the length of term on the contract will be an extremely sticky wicket, and one not likely to be resolved in a way that keeps Bob here after the season.

I've not seen a thing in the past (prior to last week) to suggest that Bob is anything but a consummate teammate. Last week: pretty clear was not his finest hour, whatever happened. But that does not eliminate several years of great play and great attitude toward CBJ. It does require some adept handling by management, coach, teammates and Bob to truly clear the air, if they all want that. But even if all come out with a truly honest "Foligno Hug" it still likely means Bob is wearing another team's sweater next season, unless CBJ runs the table and Bob is a big reason for hoisting the Cup - because that would be the only circumstance that I could see FO giving enough term to Bob to economically make sense for him to stay.

On the other hand, if Panarin does not intend to be here after this summer, why wouldn't he be having fun right now, as JP suggests? Not so much Panarin being a good poker player as simply knowing the big payday, in a location that Panarin gets to choose (including possibly here), is right around the corner. In other words, he's in the proverbial catbird's seat. Even if he intends to stay, why not see what $$$ the market might pay him, and then use that to set the price for a contract with CBJ. And the same holds true if he simply doesn't know where he wants to be and just wants to explore the market - he gets to see both $$$ and location options.

To me, it isn't just that Panarin is handling the UFA situation differently (some say better) than Bob, it is that their respective circumstances are vastly different. Bob is at UFA contract #2; he is in a position that carries higher stress, especially come PO's, and pucks are going in the net at highly elevated rate this season, not just as to him, but across the league (in part due to G equipment changes). For Panarin, this is UFA contract #1 -- the world is his oyster. He's in a great spot NO MATTER WHAT HE WANTS (or doesn't want). We can all wish that Bob and Panarin would treat the situation the same - but they are significantly different personalities, with different circumstances.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is factually correct - the various hypotheses suggested are simply a few of virtually hundreds of possible reasons, with many nuances, for what has happened and will happen with regard to Bob's and Panarin's contracts and on-ice performance. And we aren't privy to any of them.

Nice post. It has also occurred to me that Bob wants to stay but isn't being welcomed with open arms, or even being given what he considers reasonable discussion, on the part of management.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I completely agree Forepar. I think Bob wanted to stay but was hurt by the lack of interest from the team, and he's acting out.

I don't see why Artemi would be having a bad time. Everyone wants him. His attitude is entirely consistent with a player that likes playing on this team but plans to live in a different city next year, which is more or less what he and Milstein told us last summer. His joy doesn't contradict that.

Reactions: Crede777

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
[mod]

Panarin did a videochat with fans in the morning. Said some interesting things. He's tooooo tired as ususal, sauna in the arena sucks, our practices are too long next to Hawks, he has no time to work on his onetimer. His back aches a bit, he went to crio. Torts is not happy with his backchecking and always shows him videos of his bad d play on meetings, calls himself a bad defender. Counting days for bye week.

Reactions: CPTN71

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I don't mind players complaining about their coaches, stuff aching, etc.. But why is everything so public with Panarin? Complain to your friends, not your fans.
I told you, he talks too much. He was warned (by Milstein probably) after Radulov chat, but he just can't help himself.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
For Hawks fans lurking. He doesn't talk to Kane, they are not in touch, but when Chicago was in Cbus for their game this year he gifted him a watch as a Thank you for helping him to hit PO bonuses in last year there.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
[mod]

Panarin did a videochat with fans in the morning. Said some interesting things. He's tooooo tired as ususal, sauna in the arena sucks, our practices are too long next to Hawks, he has no time to work on his onetimer. His back aches a bit, he went to crio. Torts is not happy with his backchecking and always shows him videos of his bad d play on meetings, calls himself a bad defender. Counting days for bye week.
Of course just when I thought there was a chance he would stay. I wonder what Panarin and Wennberg as a package could fetch center wise?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I don't think an Instagram video that's supposed to entertain people has any true bearing on whether or not he will stay. Him joking about the practices and sauna is no different than him joking with Radulov about not getting passes. He seems like a funny guy, I'm not going to put any weight into him trying to make a joke.

Reactions: Monk

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
[mod]

Seems like the way he portrays things on these chats (that are done in Russian?) is completely different than how he portrays himself on CBJ related posts. If that makes sense..

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Seems like the way he portrays things on these chats (that are done in Russian?) is completely different than how he portrays himself on CBJ related posts. If that makes sense..
No, it's all jokes apparently. Because i can't tell the difference. :D

There was a joke yeah, or maybe he was serious what do you know. Someone asked him. If he decided to agree for free vodka for life? He said. "Yeah, i'm looking for the doctor to get encoded(from drinking) first, it's too tempting"

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
No, it's all jokes apparently. Because i can't tell the difference. :D

There was a joke yeah, or maybe he was serious what do you know. Someone asked him. If he decided to agree for free vodka for life? He said. "Yeah, i'm looking for the doctor to get encoded(from drinking) first, it's too tempting"

Yeah its hard to tell one way or the other.

I guess we'll all know very soon ;)

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Amen to the last line, especially the last paragraph

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Probably because on CBJ related stuff someone tells him what to say!

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
The difference between Bob and Panarin is quite obvious to me.

Bob is a very traditional russian guy. By that I mean: he is a pure product of the country he was born in. While living in the US he may forever remain very Russian which is quite common in the Russian community in the US. Being a traditional Russian usually means that one will forever carry the installed software and not purge certain bits and pieces.

Bread however is very different. I believe he will settle in the US after his NHL career has come to an end. I think his brain is far more malleable than Bob's and can adapt to become a real American while preserving some only the best aspects of his native culture.

Because I believe that they are very different I also think that Artemiy's relationship with Bob isnt as deep as one may fear.

If I was the manager then Id go for this approach on Artemiy: "Americanize" him as soon as possible but do it in the right way. The guy's psyche is possibly ready. Show him that this new culture he is living in has many perks.
It had to be done last year even. Ask Folingo to befriend Panarin, go out together, make the captain appear on his doorsteps with a nice dry sticky bud for a mutually beneficial smoking experience and the conversation that can follow with lots of laughing and joking. Im just saying random shit of course.

None of this was done. Instead Artemiy developed quite an ego with 'superman' celebrations and 'I know Im the shit' attitude at times. And surely he feels like a tourist in a very foreign to him country.

If he stays in Columbus as the only Russian in the team then I think he may end up being very American in 1-2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad