The Panarin / Kucherov Exchange

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Good point. Maybe there was an exchange prior to the series or something between the two. Who knows. Major difference if they have a relationship off the ice versus not having one at all.
Bingo. When you play ball with your boys theres a tremendous amount of trash talking leading upto during and after its done. People blowing this thing up talking about classless Panarin are just reaching.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If they're good friends off of the ice, which I don't question, then Panarin should've had more empathy for what Kucherov was going through. This is like if your buddy is torn up over breaking up with his girlfriend and you crack a huge smile and try to high five him because, now, the two of you can hang out more, like you used to. You would never do that. Instead, you'd feel bad for him and console him, since that's what friends do. Maybe later, you gently spin it as a positive, but not just moments after and while he's still on the ledge.

Now, friends should also be expected to be happy for one another, but any good gesture that Kucherov was willing to extend to his friend probably went out the door when he saw Panarin's over the top gesture and smile. I don't blame Kucherov one bit for not appreciating it. It was only a minute after likely the most crushing disappointment of his career (if not life) and his friend was celebrating it with him. I'd be miffed, as well.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Why is that? Is turn-about suddenly not fair-play?

If I say all series long that my team is going to crush yours, and then lose in convincing fashion, and you say in the handshake line "looks like you crushed us good." You don't think that's fair turn-about?

I'm obviously working on an assumed premise that Kucherov was smack-talking before the series, but don't talk **** if you're going to be a poor sport when it turns out it was all for nothing. You don't think that all the posters ragging on Tampa fans who said Columbus was trash is fair turn about? (And many of the Tampa fans / posters are being much better sports about it than Kucherov allegedly was here).

How about with one being private between friends and the other in public in front of thousands?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
1:30 mark with Hanzal and then Doan. Kind of understandable though when you know you won't make the playoffs ever again.

They were upset that he gave Rozsival a charley horse lol. You didn't see Brown yapping at Smith for hacking him behind the legs.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
People need to remember, too, that this isn't two North American..ers...ites talking to one another. One of the initial major culture shocks for Russians who come to NA to live and work is that their brutal honesty is not well received. This comic refers to it somewhat obliquely ("you're fat"):

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just shake the guys hand. Kucherov and his teammates just got their butts kicked but still lined up to shake hands with each player and coach that beat them down. It's not easy. Be gracious in victory and defeat.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
How about with one being private between friends and the other in public in front of thousands?

Hedman's "how'd 2-0 work out for you last year?" was pretty public as well. Trash talking happens publically all the time, and Kucherov was just sore that he lost and had to eat his assumed words. Had he not reacted the way he did, we'd probably not even be talking about this. Like I said, turn-about is fair play, and I don't feel bad for a player who gets his words fed back to him by his good friend, because he lost in a game that he gets paid millions to play.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly can’t believe how many people are upset by this.

By all accounts, Panarin and Kucherov are great friends. If any of you have ever played hockey against one of your close friends, I guarantee you you’ve done the same exact “gloating” Panarin did. This is a giant nothingburger.

Exactly. My best friend and I are always busting each other's chops. If he beat me, or I beat him, my reaction would have been a whole lot more animated than what we saw there. Nothingburger is right.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Hedman's "how'd 2-0 work out for you last year?" was pretty public as well. Trash talking happens publically all the time, and Kucherov was just sore that he lost and had to eat his assumed words. Had he not reacted the way he did, we'd probably not even be talking about this. Like I said, turn-about is fair play, and I don't feel bad for a player who gets his words fed back to him by his good friend, because he lost in a game that he gets paid millions to play.

I did not realize Hedman and Kucherov are one in the same person. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

And what a shock people love it. The internet is a place for sociopaths so no big surprise.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bread was just doing the same handshake he did with Tarasenko when he lost a few years back, same angle and everything. They’re friends and Kuch probably felt comfortable being a little more salty since we can do that with friends, it’s fine from all sides I’m sure.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I did not realize Hedman and Kucherov are one in the same person. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

And what a shock people love it. The internet is a place for sociopaths so no big surprise.

Oh, okay, so if he did it to Hedman and not to Kucherov it would've been okay then in your eyes? Or it's okay that Hedman trash talks in front of thousands but not Panarin? I never said Hedman and Kucherov are the same person, but saying that one wasn't okay because it was "public" and then only focusing on the one public incident without addressing another is a weak argument and myopic. It's a huge cop-out just to say "Oh, well there's not the same person."

And your second comment is more of a rant and came from the moon. I never said anything about "people loving it."

My entire argument is that they're friends who will likely trash talk each other and Kucherov probably likes to dish it out but is a poor sport when it comes back to bite him. It's much ado about nothing, really. Panarin was probably giving some trash talk back to him, and Kucherov is understandably disappointed.

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
For the people saying Kucherov is in the wrong, I’d like to see you get swept to be the biggest playoff bust of all time and then laugh it off right after. Love the bread man but he should’ve just shook his hand.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Oh, okay, so if he did it to Hedman and not to Kucherov it would've been okay then in your eyes? Or it's okay that Hedman trash talks in front of thousands but not Panarin? I never said Hedman and Kucherov are the same person, but saying that one wasn't okay because it was "public" and then only focusing on the one public incident without addressing another is a weak argument and myopic. It's a huge cop-out just to say "Oh, well there's not the same person."

And your second comment is more of a rant and came from the moon. I never said anything about "people loving it."

My entire argument is that they're friends who will likely trash talk each other and Kucherov probably likes to dish it out but is a poor sport when it comes back to bite him. It's much ado about nothing, really. Panarin was probably giving some trash talk back to him, and Kucherov is understandably disappointed.

I'm not going to waste more time arguing your strawman. What does Hedman have to do with this? You brought him up.

Panarin decided to act like an ass to his friend in public when his friend was having a hard time. And what? You make something up and therefore it is true?

K.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Why is that? Is turn-about suddenly not fair-play?

If I say all series long that my team is going to crush yours, and then lose in convincing fashion, and you say in the handshake line "looks like you crushed us good." You don't think that's fair turn-about?

I'm obviously working on an assumed premise that Kucherov was smack-talking before the series, but don't talk **** if you're going to be a poor sport when it turns out it was all for nothing. You don't think that all the posters ragging on Tampa fans who said Columbus was trash is fair turn about? (And many of the Tampa fans / posters are being much better sports about it than Kucherov allegedly was here).

You really don’t see the difference in friendly “smack talk” before a series where it’s still “anyone’s game” and gloating to a defeated and embarrassed player.

You and your friend are up for the same job, before the interview you rib eachother like “I’m soo gonna get this job, I’m way more qualified than you”
Then you don’t get the job and your friend says “I told you so, you suck!” That joke is now extremely one sided and a good friend wouldn’t gloat like that.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
- After the match, you shook hands, the teams said goodbye. What did you say to your friends from Tampa?
- Kucherov threatened to punish me! - laughs Artemy. - I hope he cools down and nothing will happen to me.
- What did you say to each other?
- Wished good luck, of course. And tell them - “Order costumes for the national team. Report the size! "

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
People have an issue with how Kucherov handled it? You honestly expect him to give him a high five in that moment? That’s insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad