The Panarin / Kucherov Exchange

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did Kucherov say something funny, perhaps self-deprecating? Am I supposed to feel outraged?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely. It's very rare to see someone so over the top like that in in a handshake line. Pretty disrespectful on Panarin's part and really put Kucherov in an awkward situation.

This is one where you classify "act like you've been there before".

It looked to me like Panarin didn't light up until after Kucherov said something. Perhaps, as we're being told by our Russian friends, it was after Kucherov said something funny like "you f***er". Kucherov won't put his hand out so Panarin laughs and raises his to almost say "hey c'mon give me your hand". Then they embrace, say good luck. End of story. They actually are friends. Nothing to see here.

AR-308239567.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

That's Panarin visiting Kucherov in Tampa before training camp. The pale ghost to the left is Vasilevskiy.

Last edited:

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
awkward. Panarin is expecting a big hug and high-5 from countryman....no mother f***er a 62 win team just got swept in 4 games, I don't think he's really happy or feeling that...

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I'm not going to waste more time arguing your strawman. What does Hedman have to do with this? You brought him up.

Panarin decided to act like an ass to his friend in public when his friend was having a hard time. And what? You make something up and therefore it is true?

K.

What am I making something up? I've said multiple times that my premise was based on an assumption. And "when his friend is having a hard time" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? Sure, it sucks, but it's still just a game. Moreover, you're the one that brought up the public-aspect:

I asked, if Kucherov was trash talking Panarin before the playoffs (my premise), why isn't turn-about fair-play? You differentiated the two by saying one was private and one was publc

How about with one being private between friends and the other in public in front of thousands?

I asked if, due to Hedman's public trash talking, would it make a difference if Panarin did that to Hedman. You responded by saying they're not the same person. You made the differentiation between public and private trash talking but can't explain why. (btw, me asking you to explain your logic is not a straw-man just because you can't do it). But I agree that we should probably just drop it. I'm just bringing a hypothetical up for the point of a discussion (on the relevant forum thread, so sue me), and you seem to be getting angry about it for some reason.

You really don’t see the difference in friendly “smack talk” before a series where it’s still “anyone’s game” and gloating to a defeated and embarrassed player.

You and your friend are up for the same job, before the interview you rib eachother like “I’m soo gonna get this job, I’m way more qualified than you”
Then you don’t get the job and your friend says “I told you so, you suck!” That joke is now extremely one sided and a good friend wouldn’t gloat like that.

Am I guaranteed 9.5 million over the next 6-7 or so years solely for the purpose of competing for jobs,? And if I don't get the job, then I get to enjoy a few months vacation with my millions, and then my friend and I will just compete again for the entirety of the following year for another job? Then no. It wouldn't bother me, nor should it. If you're telling someone you're going to crush them and you're going to get this hypothetical job over them, and that turns out not to be the case, I quite frankly don't have the right to get upset if he wants to brag about it that I was giving him so much shit for it beforehand.

Is it the most tactful thing to do? Probably not. But I don't see how turn-about here isn't fair-play.

And just to be perfectly clear, that Kucherov is "smack-talking" is an assumption I bring up purely for the point of discussion.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Hard to say without hearing what they actually said but I dont think Kuch is being a sore loser here, it was a bit much too soon from Panarin imo

Agreed, if Kuch refused to handshake than sure. But there's a reason why they do handshakes and not hugs after elimination.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He raises his hand at 45 degree angle and is smiling. If that’s too much for the sport the sport has problems.
You and whoever agreed with you have missed the point of what a post game or series handshake is about.

Edit: On second thought I don't care. I didn't realize they are such good friends. Context is everything. If this was two dudes who didn't or barely knew each other it would be lame.

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's the equivalent of the Caps sweeping the Jackets in the handshake line, and instead of shaking hands Kuzy just does the bird

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think Artemi shouldn’t have done it, but he wasn’t doing it to gloat (beyond a little ribbing between friends).

It’s not about Artemi being a jerk or poor sport but rather lacking the emotional intelligence/common sense to realize that wasn’t the right time to go for a huge high-five/hug, even with a friend. Kucherov was probably legitimately upset, but it’s no different from you being legitimately upset at a friend or family member for a day for one small thing they did. But you still love them and basically forget about it the next day.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As a fan, what Columbus did was great to see, but after this exchange I almost wish them to be pummeled the next round.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I choose to believe these guys simply had a side bet that is going to cost the loser either a lot of money or a lot of self-respect (yes, perhaps even more than being swept) .. and that Kucherov is not looking forward to it.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Not a good look for Panarin, but a) who knows if it's just bad optics b) if you've never angered a buddy you're either a saint or completely unaware. It happens, no biggie.

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, you can mess with your friends. But anyone with any brains understands it's not a good idea to start ribbing your friend after they've just been embarrassed and are upset...

Really because that's not how it works with my close friends. We tend to stick the knife in at the lowest points. It makes you stronger.

Reactions: mikeyp24

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
They’re good friends. Panarin and the Blue Jackets clapped the Lightning, and it showed through that reaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->