The Out of Town Thread XCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Remember when Leafs fans were high-fiving everywhere, but we pointed to this road trip as their first real challenge to face after making lots of hay at home? Well, their coach didn't survive their first real challenge, lol, and the rest of January doesn't get much more friendly to them.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
With Carlyle fired, all we're gonna hear until the end of the year is Babcock going to Leafs from their fans, as well Canadian media. Ugh.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
With Carlyle fired, all we're gonna hear until the end of the year is Babcock going to Leafs from their fans, as well Canadian media. Ugh.

I just wish Wings would sign Babcock like, right now.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Just guessing, Mike Ilitch and Ken Holland are already working with the NHL to issue pre-emptive warnings to Rogers and Bell reminding them of what tampering looks like. From the fans though it will be unbearable.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He's really chubby looking.

I always wondered why he wanted to go to Toronto when he hates the press so much. A place like Nashville would've been better for him and they were interested at that time. He definitely lacks composure.

Now that Zach G has lost a pile of weight Phil the Thrill is beefing up to replace him in Hangover 4

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 7h7 hours ago
Oil ties game, and with 3:00 left Pouliot takes a double-minor for spearing. Nice.

Pouliot's rap was taking stupid penalties. What about completely selfish ones?. DET scores with 34 seconds left on PP.

Some things never change...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I just wish Wings would sign Babcock like, right now.

Do you really think Babcock leaves Detroit for that circus? I have a hard time believing that one...

Plus, even if he WAs to leave he won't fix all their issues, in the NHL coaching is only 15-20% of the equation, not like the NFL, everybody pretty much plays the same style...

I can't stand Kessel and hate the Leafs but Wilson is a loser for throwing him under the bus. Kessel has been a consistent PPG guy for the Leafs the past 4 years.

The finger in TO should be pointed at management, this is a team that had a chance to go through a rebuild and could have Seguin and Hamilton in the lineup.

Now 5 years later they need to tear the team down again...bottom line is that lineup doesn't have enough talent to win. You put Kessel or Phaneuf on LA or Chicago and bet they do just fine. It's management that's asked them to lead and it's been fairly obvious for years that neither player is that guy.

Kessel handled it poorly but it was a bit of a dirty question...should have just sucked it up and gave a canned answer and said it was the players' fault including himself blah blah blah This way he's just making himself more of a target...

The big issue with Kessel is he has to be your 3rd or 4th best player, not your main dog...Toronto doesn't have that...same for Phaneuf, they are not leaders.. If Toronto had Toews and Keith instead of Clarkson/Bozak/Franson/Robidas etc on the payroll, those two would look and perform better I'm sure...

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Oil ties game, and with 3:00 left Pouliot takes a double-minor for spearing. Nice.

Pouliot's rap was taking stupid penalties. What about completely selfish ones?. DET scores with 34 seconds left on PP.

Good in poo poo to find himself a nice niche in the nhl. But this stuff would drive me insane :rant:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I still can't believe the Oilers gave him that kind of a deal :shakehead

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I still can't believe the Oilers gave him that kind of a deal :shakehead

Ridiculous to give a guy 20 mil over 5 years and he's never put up more than 36 points. That's not even mentioning the amount of kicks in the pants he needs during the year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I never thought Burke would leave Anaheim tbh. Babcock wouldn't turn the Leafs around. He's no Pat Burns.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's why Oilers' problems are upstair, not on the ice.

The Oilers have issues on a lot of levels. It definitely starts with management then to players and also coaching. They make Toronto look like a juggernaut for their ONE playoff appearance in the cap era.

:laugh:

Fight between Bruins' Marchand, Krug sparked by height joke

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/675043

Krug is only 5'7" I think. Marchand is taller at 5'8".

I never thought Burke would leave Anaheim tbh. Babcock wouldn't turn the Leafs around. He's no Pat Burns.

I don't see Babcock leaving Detroit, he is just leveraging for more dollars.

Detroit isn't a powerhouse but they have 20x better chance to win a cup in the next 5 years than Toronto and cap hell.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't see Babcock leaving Detroit, he is just leveraging for more dollars.

Detroit isn't a powerhouse but they have 20x better chance to win a cup in the next 5 years than Toronto and cap hell.

Completely agree. Why would anyone want to coach in the Gong show that is Toronto?

They've had great coaches come in and die on the vine.

Wilson - a good coach in Washington and SJ and went completely off the rails aftr Toronto

Maurice - Was the coach of a good team in Carolina and has turned the Jets around but couldn't cut it in Toronto

Beaudreau - Coaches the top team in the league but couldn't hack it in Toronto

Randy Carlyle - was fantastic coach who won a Cup in Anaheim and was only coach to take leafs to the PO's in a decade.

the problem is NOT coaching. It's the ownership, management group that doesn't hold any player accountable. The only thing they care about is profit margin and filling seats. There's no hockey culture, history, vision or future until MLSE sells the team to a real owner who gives a **** about the product on the ice. Until then, it's a mild embarassement that will blow over as the ACC is still the most profitable franchise in the NHL.

Why would ANY coach want to walk into that? more importantly, what guy is arrogent enough to think he's good enough to compensate for an organizational fundamental flaw?

Babcock is a smart man who wants to win. He'll get paid regaurdless of where he goes. He'll go to a real contender where he'll have more influence on day to day operations (i.e. Roy) and that won't be Toronto.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Completely agree. Why would anyone want to coach in the Gong show that is Toronto?

They've had great coaches come in and die on the vine.

Wilson - a good coach in Washington and SJ and went completely off the rails aftr Toronto

Maurice - Was the coach of a good team in Carolina and has turned the Jets around but couldn't cut it in Toronto

Beaudreau - Coaches the top team in the league but couldn't hack it in Toronto

Randy Carlyle - was fantastic coach who won a Cup in Anaheim and was only coach to take leafs to the PO's in a decade.

the problem is NOT coaching. It's the ownership, management group that doesn't hold any player accountable. The only thing they care about is profit margin and filling seats. There's no hockey culture, history, vision or future until MLSE sells the team to a real owner who gives a **** about the product on the ice. Until then, it's a mild embarassement that will blow over as the ACC is still the most profitable franchise in the NHL.

Why would ANY coach want to walk into that? more importantly, what guy is arrogent enough to think he's good enough to compensate for an organizational fundamental flaw?

Babcock is a smart man who wants to win. He'll get paid regaurdless of where he goes. He'll go to a real contender where he'll have more influence on day to day operations (i.e. Roy) and that won't be Toronto.

Not to nitpick, agree with your post overall, but Boudreau never coached in TO.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Ridiculous to give a guy 20 mil over 5 years and he's never put up more than 36 points. That's not even mentioning the amount of kicks in the pants he needs during the year.

It also goes to show how insanely difficult it must be for them to bring free agents over.

''Hey come here spend the winter in this frozen wasteland and play for the worst team in the NHL! We'll finish last once again and draft another future star, you can babysit him and the others until they leave!''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad