The Out of Town Thread XCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I am often told that the Habs are the only team who chooses their coach based on their linguistic qualities. And yet, while we don't know for sure the list of ANY management, the names that are circulating in Toronto do not include Benoit Groulx nor Guy Boucher. Are they ALSO not using a whole pool to find the best candidate available? Or are the names liek Pete DeBoer, John Tortorella, Peter Horacek or even the joke that is Dallas Eakins THAT much more better than Groulx or Boucher?

Doesn't that further proves that limiting the pool based on ''origins'' is just a bad decision?
As for Groulx, if I were a Leafs fan, I wouldn't want to hire a guy with no NHL experience.
I don't think any coach is going to be hired until the end of the season anyways, so I'm sure there's a big list and half the names are probably unknown to the public.
Personally I think any team that will snatch up Boucher next is going to have a terrific coach.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Just heard on my local radio the passing of J.P. Parise... He was born in Smooth Rock Falls 90 mins away from my home town (Hearst Ontario). :cry:

R.I.P. JP Parise!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Doesn't that further proves that limiting the pool based on ''origins'' is just a bad decision?
As for Groulx, if I were a Leafs fan, I wouldn't want to hire a guy with no NHL experience.
I don't think any coach is going to be hired until the end of the season anyways, so I'm sure there's a big list and half the names are probably unknown to the public.
Personally I think any team that will snatch up Boucher next is going to have a terrific coach.

No. It's a proof that EVERYBODY does that no matter what they based themselves on. Isn't just basing yourself on guys you know a bad way of choosing somebody? Francos are rarely if not NEVER in the talks for any other team than Montreal. Do you hear people elsewhere saying that the pool was limited due to lack of francos in it? Never. Why? Because there's that concept in here and some other places that francos can't be good for some odd reasons. That less candidates means less quality. Not true. There could be 1000 anglos available and 5 francos. It's entirely possible that based on talent alone, when all is said and done, there are still 5 francos, and maybe just 20 anglos. Ratio for ratio, francos win. And then....what is talent for a coach? Wasn't Dallas Eakins suppose to be the next one? And now? Isn't he be portrait as an idiot? Coaching candidates is incredibly suggestive. Isn't it the only job who you could be seen as the best in your job, and then be fired 2 years after? How many players have won individual trophies, and then be traded for nothing 2 years after? Pete DeBoer, the other next one has been fired twice already. And so on. So maybe that the selection includes more people and yet....same result. Personnally, I will always believe that there is a tradition to keep in here. And while we've totally evaded the number of francos playing for the team, at the very least we're going francos for the management. And to this day, Bergevin can be seen as one of the best despite the infamous franco selection. And while we mostly don't like Therrien, seems to me that Hartley could have done a better job....yet Therrien can't be awful. And at one point back in the days, we've groomed guys like Vigneault and Julien who are still great to this present day. Lefebvre might not be a good choice in Hamilton, I would think Groulx would have been better.....or Boucher or even Houle or Ducharme or Veilleux...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is it Toronto who gave him his first chance? For a franco coach to succeed, chances are he needs to go through Montreal first. And THEN, they might take a chance on him. Point being, out of a top 10, those 2 isn't there, and it makes no sense.

Toronto doesn't give anyone their first chance.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No. It's a proof that EVERYBODY does that no matter what they based themselves on. Isn't just basing yourself on guys you know a bad way of choosing somebody? Francos are rarely if not NEVER in the talks for any other team than Montreal. Do you hear people elsewhere saying that the pool was limited due to lack of francos in it? Never. Why? Because there's that concept in here and some other places that francos can't be good for some odd reasons. That less candidates means less quality. Not true. There could be 1000 anglos available and 5 francos. It's entirely possible that based on talent alone, when all is said and done, there are still 5 francos, and maybe just 20 anglos. Ratio for ratio, francos win. And then....what is talent for a coach? Wasn't Dallas Eakins suppose to be the next one? And now? Isn't he be portrait as an idiot? Coaching candidates is incredibly suggestive. Isn't it the only job who you could be seen as the best in your job, and then be fired 2 years after? How many players have won individual trophies, and then be traded for nothing 2 years after? Pete DeBoer, the other next one has been fired twice already. And so on. So maybe that the selection includes more people and yet....same result. Personnally, I will always believe that there is a tradition to keep in here. And while we've totally evaded the number of francos playing for the team, at the very least we're going francos for the management. And to this day, Bergevin can be seen as one of the best despite the infamous franco selection. And while we mostly don't like Therrien, seems to me that Hartley could have done a better job....yet Therrien can't be awful. And at one point back in the days, we've groomed guys like Vigneault and Julien who are still great to this present day. Lefebvre might not be a good choice in Hamilton, I would think Groulx would have been better.....or Boucher or even Houle or Ducharme or Veilleux...

Sorry, this is completely wrong. You're basing your argument on imaginary anti-french conspiracies. Do you really need a list of the many francophone NHL coaches, past and present?? No team has ever said, "Nah - we won't hire that coach because he speaks french". It's ridiculous to think so.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry, this is completely wrong. You're basing your argument on imaginary anti-french conspiracies. Do you really need a list of the many francophone NHL coaches, past and present?? No team has ever said, "Nah - we won't hire that coach because he speaks french". It's ridiculous to think so.

while I dont think there's an actual conspiracy or anything, I think you'd be surprised if you were to pop that list.

you're being naive mate, anti-french (just like anti english or anti-other-language) does exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad