OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
yep and if freeman doesn't have that error, the cards only score 1 in the first. completely different game. he made the error and they went on to score 9 more times.

this is no longer Freddie's team and i never want to hear him call out acuna again. I do not say this lightly but freeman had the worst playoff series of any sport i have ever seen from a team's star player that i can ever remember.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Oof. I'm guessing to Braves fans that felt like game 7 against the Sharks did to us....

For me this is even worse. I can't even wrap my head around what the hockey equivalent would be of that Braves dumpster fire today. It certainly would be more than a 3-0 deficit in the 2nd period.

10-0 in the first inning and 13-0 in the 3rd???? That is almost impossible to comprehend.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Haha. I’m in Atlanta for the game . Never seen an inning like that at this level

You witnessed some history, for sure. Hope you were pulling for St. Louis because that wasn't worth the drive if you were for the Braves. Ha!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Is there still buzz for Nashville SC?

When the MLS expansion process was going there was a lot of talk about it here, and all of the highlights they showed on local news looked like quite a few fans were showing up. Now there's no chatter and from what i've seen on the news the stands are quite empty.

I don't care either way if there is a team here, i'll go to a game at some point but i'm just not into soccer. What is really getting to me now is how they're still getting nothing but positive media coverage. Yeah it's petty, but I think back to the early days of the Predators and it was a battle to get coverage. It's just another sign of how Nashville has changed over the years, from a city that didn't have a lot going on and was reluctant to embrace change (cover hockey? how could we when there's Vols, NASCAR and Braves!), to one that thrives on the downtown party atmosphere and loves whatever the shiny new toy is.

Anyway, maybe the soccer support is still there and just waiting until they're actually in MLS and the new stadium is built. So it's a serious question, was the initial wave just about the excitement of landing the expansion bid or am I just not seeing that the hype is still present?

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

When the MLS expansion process was going there was a lot of talk about it here, and all of the highlights they showed on local news looked like quite a few fans were showing up. Now there's no chatter and from what i've seen on the news the stands are quite empty.

I don't care either way if there is a team here, i'll go to a game at some point but i'm just not into soccer. What is really getting to me now is how they're still getting nothing but positive media coverage. Yeah it's petty, but I think back to the early days of the Predators and it was a battle to get coverage. It's just another sign of how Nashville has changed over the years, from a city that didn't have a lot going on and was reluctant to embrace change (cover hockey? how could we when there's Vols, NASCAR and Braves!), to one that thrives on the downtown party atmosphere and loves whatever the shiny new toy is.

Anyway, maybe the soccer support is still there and just waiting until they're actually in MLS and the new stadium is built. So it's a serious question, was the initial wave just about the excitement of landing the expansion bid or am I just not seeing that the hype is still present?
Over 10,000 season tickets have been sold so far and they anticipate more as the MLS season gets closer. They are an exciting team and like hockey, watching live will make you a fan. I have high hopes for soccer in Nashville.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I've never been a soccer fan and I doubt I ever will, but I would love to see the team thrive. It would be awesome to see them come up with your own personality and traditions. Make sure it's a good time and people will come. Every time I see highlights of that MLS team in Seattle I think that looks like a good time. Additionally, most popular team sports can be fun to watch in the playoffs. I'm not a big soccer or baseball fan. I think the majority of their games are boring, but those sports can be super interesting and fun to watch when the stakes are high.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I love going to the games. I have a good friend who enjoys sports about as much as I do so we go to SC and Sounds games in the offseason. We're both kind of strapped for cash after paying for NHL tickets and the rest of life so the lower price point was a big draw and the reason we started going to them. $20 tickets for club level? I'm there. We have tried to go to more games this season simply because we don't know if we'll be able to afford tickets for the MLS games next season. I hope they do well and I'll follow them, for sure, but I don't know that my fandom will find its way to my wallet.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Nashville is currently 6th out of 36 teams in attendance in their current league. I've lived in two cities with MLS clubs and you'll notice real quick that soccer fans typically aren't like other sports fans and the coverage reflects that. Just because you're not hearing much doesn't mean it's not well supported. In terms of pure numbers they'll probably average higher attendance than the Preds.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
In terms of pure numbers they'll probably average higher attendance than the Preds.

17 MLS games x 30,000 capacity = 510,000

41 NHL games x 17,100 = 701,100

but anyway, my original reason for asking is the highlights I see on TV. During the expansion bid, the stands looked much fuller and now they looked kind of sparse (looks like they're down 1600/gm this season). So the question was if the soccer fever kicks in again once the team is actually in MLS and their stadium?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
17 MLS games x 30,000 capacity = 510,000

41 NHL games x 17,100 = 701,100

but anyway, my original reason for asking is the highlights I see on TV. During the expansion bid, the stands looked much fuller and now they looked kind of sparse (looks like they're down 1600/gm this season). So the question was if the soccer fever kicks in again once the team is actually in MLS and their stadium?
I meant per game but like I said, MLS fandom isn't really represented very well in the media. My guess is there will be a good wave of support (not that there isn't already in USL) once the actual MLS team hits but it won't really be covered much. It's not a mainstream sport. The Preds will definitely be covered more as a whole even if the attendance is fine

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Shaping up as a crappy sports night for me.

UK is going to go from their best season in 40 years to missing out on a bowl game.

Oh well, BB Madness was last night so things will get better...

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Vandy losing to UNLV wasn’t a surprise but them getting blown out was depressing. Mason may not last much longer this is embarrassing even by Vandy low standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad