Value of: Players of interest to me (looking for information)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Listed below are a list of players I'd have interest in targeting as NJD in the offseason. If you are a fan of a team that they play for, would love to hear any info about availability, potential contracts, roles they play, strengths, weaknesses, what your team would be looking for in a trade, if they're available, what value they are.

Basically just any information you have regarding the player.

To avoid potential misinterpretation with bias if you could put valuations in terms of pick value, with the specific team needs alongside that would be great.

D: M Pettersson, Ferraro, McDonagh, Skjei, Gavrikov, Michael Anderson, Samuelson, Lindell, Guhle, Pelech, Middleton, Walman, Fehevary, Girard, McNabb, R Lindgren, Alec Martinez, Dillon, Cole, Zadorov, Hague, Ryan Johnson, Broberg

G: Freddy Andersen, Stolarz, Saros, Georgiev, UPL, Jarry, Ingram, LT, Gustafsson, Swayman, Montembault, Ullmark, Hill, Knight, Askarov, Wallstedt

F: Newhook, Rossi, Sam Bennett, J Evans, Eller, Frost, Laughton, Pius Suter, Nic Roy, M Geekie, Lundell, Dowd , Dvorak, Sturm, R McLeod, Malenstyn, Colton, Turcotte, Barbashev, E Rodrigues, Martinook, Trenin, Jesper Boqvist, Foegele, Trent Frederic, Fast, NAK, Jeannot, Duhaime, Wennberg, Kerfoot, Joseph

Ideally looking for speed and size to add to the bottom 6, a goalie, and an LD who can play a shutdown role paired with Marino, kill penalties, and be an effective breakout passer

Thanks

Nico-Bratt-Meier
Jack-Palat-Mercer
Haula-????-Holtz
?????-?????-Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
?????-Marino
Luke-Nemec
????
Allen

????
Bahl
Bastian

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Qwijibo

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Good to know. Was wondering if Bennett may potentially become a cap casualty.

And Knight and Erod?

Erod probably available. Knight is a tough one, some think he might be a cap casualty but I don't see it. The kid is legit even if his health issue is a questionmark.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Erod probably available. Knight is a tough one, some think he might be a cap casualty but I don't see it. The kid is legit even if his health issue is a questionmark.
And I assume the pieces florida would be looking for are simply cost controlled roster players?

Any positions or archetypes they'd be looking for?

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
And I assume the pieces florida would be looking for are simply cost controlled roster players?

Any positions or archetypes they'd be looking for?

Cost controlled yes. Depending on what UFAs they are re-signing (Montour could leave) RHD is probably the biggest need. Also need to fill Tarasenko's spot if he leaves. Center depth is a strength, mainly RHD and top six winger (cost-controlled) are something they may be looking at.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Middleton would be available except for an overpay. It's not so much that he is a fantastic player, but he has a very reasonable contract, which MN desperately needs due to their 15M cap penalty next year, AND he is just about the only D man on the team who is tough, and can fight, while still being a decent (#4) Dman.

There have been some rumblings about Rossi being available for a bigger forward, but i don't now how true they are. I think Guerin would want a young'ish player rather than a pick. If a pick, I am guessing he would want one in the 8-13 range in 2024. I don't really see why NJD would want another smaller, non physical, skill player, though?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't see Ryan Johnson or Mattias Samuelsson being available. One was a key guy prior to getting injured, if he returns to form, he offers a top-4 presence that is unique in its physicality compared to the other Sabre defensemen. Ryan Johnson is just finishing his first pro year and was already basically their #7. He's likely on the roster next year, tidy ELC and gives them smooth d-zone exits and strong rush-ending stick play on either side since he can play on his offhand side.

So there is some info, just don't see them being on the market at all.

Reactions: Irie and dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't see Ryan Johnson or Mattias Samuelsson being available. One was a key guy prior to getting injured, if he returns to form, he offers a top-4 presence that is unique in its physicality compared to the other Sabre defensemen. Ryan Johnson is just finishing his first pro year and was already basically their #7. He's likely on the roster next year, tidy ELC and gives them smooth d-zone exits and strong rush-ending stick play on either side since he can play on his offhand side.

Good to know. What do you think the pairings look like next year for Buffalo?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good to know. What do you think the pairings look like next year for Buffalo?

That? That's a really good question. I honestly don't know but I would look at

Byram-Dahlin
Samuelsson-Power
RJohnson-Clifton

But that's guess. I have no idea what the new HC will do or if they retain Jokiharju.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't think Middleton would be available except for an overpay. It's not so much that he is a fantastic player, but he has a very reasonable contract, which MN desperately needs due to their 15M cap penalty next year, AND he is just about the only D man on the team who is tough, and can fight, while still being a decent (#4) Dman.

There have been some rumblings about Rossi being available for a bigger forward, but i don't now how true they are. I think Guerin would want a young'ish player rather than a pick. If a pick, I am guessing he would want one in the 8-13 range in 2024. I don't really see why NJD would want another smaller, non physical, skill player, though?
Makes sense, NJD would presumably be looking at him for that exact role of a number 4 dman who brings physicality.

I like Rossi personally. Always open to bringing in potentially distressed assets, and a 3C could be of interest. He's certainly more expensive but similar in terms of a target as Turcotte.

Jack line would be offensive

Nico would be 2 way dominance

3rd line with Rossi, Palat, Haula, Mercer, Holtz as options on it would provide more offense

And then a gritty defensive 4th line built around Lazar.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Jacob Middleton isn’t getting traded. Wallstedt isn’t ever getting traded by Minnesota. Don’t put players that aren’t up for trade as you won’t like the answer. Most likely Gustavsson stays too. Rossi is only getting moved for a better or equal C with size.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Listed below are a list of players I'd have interest in targeting as NJD in the offseason. If you are a fan of a team that they play for, would love to hear any info about availability, potential contracts, roles they play, strengths, weaknesses, what your team would be looking for in a trade, if they're available, what value they are.

To avoid potential misinterpretation with bias if you could put valuations in terms of pick value, with the specific team needs alongside that would be great.

D: M Pettersson, Ferraro, McDonagh, Skjei, Gavrikov, Michael Anderson, Samuelson, Lindell, Guhle, Pelech, Middleton, Walman, Fehevary, Girard, McNabb, R Lindgren, Alec Martinez, Dillon, Cole, Zadorov, Hague, Ryan Johnson, Broberg

G: Freddy Andersen, Stolarz, Saros, Georgiev, UPL, Jarry, Ingram, LT, Gustafsson, Swayman, Montembault, Ullmark, Hill, Knight, Askarov, Wallstedt

F: Newhook, Rossi, Sam Bennett, J Evans, Eller, Frost, Laughton, Pius Suter, Nic Roy, M Geekie, Lundell, Dowd , Dvorak, Sturm, R McLeod, Malenstyn, Colton, Turcotte, Barbashev, E Rodrigues, Martinook, Trenin, Jesper Boqvist, Foegele, Trent Frederic, Fast, NAK, Jeannot, Duhaime, Wennberg, Kerfoot, Joseph

Ideally looking for speed and size to add to the bottom 6, a goalie, and an LD who can play a shutdown role paired with Marino, kill penalties, and be an effective breakout passer

Thanks

Nico-Bratt-Meier
Jack-Palat-Mercer
Haula-????-Holtz
?????-?????-Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
?????-Marino
Luke-Nemec
????
Allen

????
Bahl
Bastian
You already have Kurtis MacDermid, no reason to pursue Jeannot or any other physical bodyguard type player.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Makes sense, NJD would presumably be looking at him for that exact role of a number 4 dman who brings physicality.

I like Rossi personally. Always open to bringing in potentially distressed assets, and a 3C could be of interest. He's certainly more expensive but similar in terms of a target as Turcotte.

Jack line would be offensive

Nico would be 2 way dominance

3rd line with Rossi, Palat, Haula, Mercer, Holtz as options on it would provide more offense

And then a gritty defensive 4th line built around Lazar.
Rossi isn’t a dis-stressed asset! Wild aren’t looking to give Rossi away. He’s only available for a similar or bigger Center, or a better player in which Minnesota Wild would add a small asset.

(Jacob Middleton: Not Available/ not getting moved as team is looking to sign him to extension

(Wallstedt: Habe no idea why you would ever put him on on your List! He’s not ever getting moved by Minnesota and he’s wild starting G as soon as at season beginning)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You already have Kurtis MacDermid, no reason to pursue Jeannot or any other physical bodyguard type player.
Kurtis Macdermid isn't a competent hockey player. I don't want a 4th line that can only be played 7 minutes a night like NJDs was after Mcleod was gone.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Askarov isn't reasonably available.

Last reported ask for Saros from Trotz was multiple high draft picks and young roster players/prospects.

McDonagh...he is still playing at a pretty steady #3D level, also has a full NTC. Know the organization likes him for his character/leadership as much as his play. I think it's probably a non-starter unless he asks to be moved..

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Kurtis Macdermid isn't a competent hockey player. I don't want a 4th line that can only be played 7 minutes a night like NJDs was after Mcleod was gone.
To be honest, that is what you would be getting with Jeannot over the past two season with Tampa. His potential is what led to Tampa Bay giving up so much to get him, but that potential has not surfaced due to injuries and a lack of chemistry.
Many Tampa fans prefer Watson in the protector role than Jeannot.
Perhaps a chance of scenery would be good for both players, which makes for an interesting trade idea for another discussion to be built around.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Jacob Middleton isn’t getting traded. Wallstedt isn’t ever getting traded by Minnesota. Don’t put players that aren’t up for trade as you won’t like the answer. Most likely Gustavsson stays too. Rossi is only getting moved for a better or equal C with size.
op listed the players he is interested in and clearly stated that not being available is a fair reply. so why don't you just take it as a compliment that he likes your team's player.

and rossi doesn't get a better c with size. so following your own concept you shouldn't put it out there.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
op listed the players he is interested in and clearly stated that not being available is a fair reply. so why don't you just take it as a compliment that he likes your team's player.

and rossi doesn't get a better c with size. so following your own concept you shouldn't put it out there.
You don’t live in Minnesota do you? The beat writers who covers the team have made it clear the ask for Rossi is a similar player whose better and bigger C, or similar player whose bigger, that’s what the gm would want to trade Rossi

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

You forgot UPL, who is definitely not available.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For the Bruins, obviously Ullmark available.

Geekie and Frederic are harder. 40 point 3rd liners with size and positional flexibility that are cheap and in their mid-twenties.

Frederic in particular is an interesting one. His 5 on 5 stat line over the last two seasons is the same as Crouse. He has more even strength goals than guys like DeBrincat, Svechnikov, Barkov, Marchand, and Jarvis over the past two years and he does it from the 3rd line. He plays a simple north south game, so I’m not sure how much he would benefit from PP time but it also wouldn’t shock me if he could be effective in the top six as a third guy on the line and jump up much higher in those 5 on 5 numbers. I think he would cost a lot more than you are counting on.

Geekie I think they would want to keep around as a backup if Poitras or Lysell falter next year in the middle six.

Boqvist is going to be in a similar situation as he was in NJ last year. On the edge of being non-tendered depending on how other things shake out.

Edit: as an aside, I probably wouldn’t put Luke and Nemec together on the third pair. Give them each a vet or risk hampering Nemec’s offensive development.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You don’t live in Minnesota do you? The beat writers who covers the team have made it clear the ask for Rossi is a similar player whose better and bigger C, or similar player whose bigger, that’s what the gm would want to trade Rossi
yeah, cool.

and the devils would like to have a young goalie like wallstedt. so what's the difference?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Thanks

Nico-Bratt-Meier
Jack-Palat-Mercer
Haula-????-Holtz
?????-?????-Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
?????-Marino
Luke-Nemec
????
Allen

????
Bahl
Bastian
Guhle is a very good, young promising dman, but he's often injured. Habs aren't likely to move him.

Montembeault the Habs have given him the spot of the number 1. He's not worth the World, but you'd probably have to overpay for the Habs to deal him to go from 4 NHL goalies last year (Allen, Primeau, Monty, DeSmith), so not worth it for New Jersey imo.

Newhook is a very fast player. The Habs played him at center and he did fairly well. He was below 50%. I can't imagine they trade him now for a late first and early 2nd and can't imagine the Devils trade that for him

Dvorak might be a good option. Very good on the dot and really helps the Habs pk, but he's been often hurt during his tenure here and he would be a nice buy low, get medium reward. Likely cost a 3rd

To add to your list a guy like Joel Armia might be of interest. Coming off a career year for goals where he was hurt AND played in the A. He's been very good for the Habs pk, he's pretty good on board battles has soft hands and had that size teams want at 6'4. He's a little slow, though. Would likely cost the same as Dvorak at a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad