OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
They have been a step behind. Remember when they were trying to achieve herd immunity while their neighbors were locking down and recommending face masks?
Yep. Sweden has been an example of what NOT to do and that has been clear since the beginning of the pandemic

Reactions: F A N

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
they’re just white supremacists, like literal organized white supremacists

i don’t get why anyone is taking anything they aay about trucking or vaccines or border crossing regulations seriously

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They desecrated a statue of the greatest Canadian - Terry Fox. I knew Terry. He was immunocompromised and these motherf***ers could have happily killed him.

I have violence in my heart.

QDktEEp.jpg

Absolute human garbage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
they’re just white supremacists, like literal organized white supremacists

i don’t get why anyone is taking anything they aay about trucking or vaccines or border crossing regulations seriously

It's a combination of a) the poorly educated, who are scared and feel frustrated and targeted by current regulations b) the mentally unstable who are susceptible to conspiracy theories etc. and c) the extreme right-wing neo-Nazi crowd.

Reactions: Scorvat and Red

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's a combination of a) the poorly educated, who are scared and feel frustrated and targeted by current regulations b) the mentally unstable who are susceptible to conspiracy theories etc. and c) the extreme right-wing neo-Nazi crowd.

whatever those shitstains are, it sure as hell doesn’t have anything to do with global supply chains like they’re going on about

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
a) the poorly educated, who are scared and feel frustrated and targeted by current regulations
It goes beyond that. They feel scared and frustrated by the technological trends of our time. Truckers are a a perfect example- their livelihoods are literally being engineered out of existence and it will be an overall net benefit when we get to a point that they are no longer needed.

To that point their anxieties are legitimate but boy oh boy are they being pointed in the wrong direction.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They desecrated a statue of the greatest Canadian - Terry Fox. I knew Terry. He was immunocompromised and these motherf***ers could have happily killed him.

I have violence in my heart.

QDktEEp.jpg

Don Cherry: “I am 100% behind the truckers,” Cherry said to the Toronto Sun on Friday. “They are salt of the earth and the heartbeat of the country.”

I'm sure he's still 100% behind them (as well as the "patriots" dancing on the grave of the unknown soldier).

Don Cherry: "Good Canadian kid".

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Don Cherry: “I am 100% behind the truckers,” Cherry said to the Toronto Sun on Friday. “They are salt of the earth and the heartbeat of the country.”

I'm sure he's still 100% behind them (as well as the "patriots" dancing on the grave of the unknown soldier).

Don Cherry: "Good Canadian kid".

ppl show you who they are (as if we didn’t already know)

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Didn't know Terry, but born and raised in Poco. I too have violence in my heart, that's the reaction that violent actions beget. It's important to try and rise above that and be better. That said, I think the whole of NA is headed towards violent revolution. Seeing what had happened in the States, I thought we were 5-10 years away from this in Canada...but not this close. Everyone is frustrated, and I am too. I want a change for the better as well as they do, but when you are not even understanding where the cancer in society lies, you are becoming the cancer yourself. We'll tear each other apart and the guilty parties will laugh safely in security as we do so if we keep on this trajectory. I hate to be a doomer, but that's the position we have ourselves in. It's great to see people this upset, but what they are doing is only pushing us further into the darkness.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

A lot of people in the (c) group are former members of the (a) and (b) group.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like a lot of people in the [c] group are former members of the [a] and group.

There is a hell of a lot of overlap, for sure.

But I definitely know some people in (a) who are not in (c).

These aren't necessarily 'bad' people ... but they just don't get it. They don't have the critical thinking or the understanding of science to separate good information from bad (and are easily mis-led by Joe Rogan types) and they get stuck on false equivalencies and black/white thinking ('If I can still transmit after being vaccinated, what's the point of being vaccinated?') and definitely don't understand that the reasoning for public health measures is to prevent the health care system from collapsing.

They've swallowed up the bad information that confirmed their beliefs and now they feel frustrated and attacked. And don't understand the law or the Charter of Rights and Freedoms even a little bit, and are absolutely convinced that their rights and freedoms are being violated - even though what's happening is no different from needing a license to drive a car.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There is a hell of a lot of overlap, for sure.

But I definitely know some people in (a) who are not in (c).

These aren't necessarily 'bad' people ... but they just don't get it. They don't have the critical thinking or the understanding of science to separate good information from bad (and are easily mis-led by Joe Rogan types) and they get stuck on false equivalencies and black/white thinking ('If I can still transmit after being vaccinated, what's the point of being vaccinated?') and definitely don't understand that the reasoning for public health measures is to prevent the health care system from collapsing.

They've swallowed up the bad information that confirmed their beliefs and now they feel frustrated and attacked. And don't understand the law or the Charter of Rights and Freedoms even a little bit, and are absolutely convinced that their rights and freedoms are being violated - even though what's happening is no different from needing a license to drive a car.

I agree with you, but when you find yourself in a group where certain members of the group are waving literal nazi flags, you gotta get outta that group or else you are effectively a nazi now. Neo-nazis have preyed on people like this forever, it's essentially how they recruit. It's not that many steps from believing that your rights and freedoms are being violated due to a conspiracy, to then thinking that the conspiracy is under the command of the Jews and etc. e.g.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree with you, but when you find yourself in a group where certain members of the group are waving literal nazi flags, you gotta get outta that group or else you are effectively a nazi now. Neo-nazis have preyed on people like this forever, it's essentially how they recruit. It's not that many steps from believing that your rights and freedoms are being violated due to a conspiracy, to then thinking that the conspiracy is under the command of the Jews and etc. e.g.

Abso-f***ing-lutely.

And unfortunately the current instability is a boon for the far-right as they try to position themselves as the 'reasonable' party here. And again, you're dealing with a group of people who are not high on the critical thinking spectrum and are easily manipulated.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Abso-f***ing-lutely.

And unfortunately the current instability is a boon for the far-right as they try to position themselves as the 'reasonable' party here. And again, you're dealing with a group of people who are not high on the critical thinking spectrum and are easily manipulated.
Or people already predisposed to be a**holes:

That old geezer Don Cherry should offer them free room & board at his place. They're "his people" after all.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Didn't know Terry, but born and raised in Poco. I too have violence in my heart, that's the reaction that violent actions beget. It's important to try and rise above that and be better. That said, I think the whole of NA is headed towards violent revolution. Seeing what had happened in the States, I thought we were 5-10 years away from this in Canada...but not this close. Everyone is frustrated, and I am too. I want a change for the better as well as they do, but when you are not even understanding where the cancer in society lies, you are becoming the cancer yourself. We'll tear each other apart and the guilty parties will laugh safely in security as we do so if we keep on this trajectory. I hate to be a doomer, but that's the position we have ourselves in. It's great to see people this upset, but what they are doing is only pushing us further into the darkness.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. With Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast nearing the end and having listened to it the whole way, the difference in quality of life, indignities, pain & suffering, etc, between people who actually descended into violent revolution and people in North America today is just immense. There will be and have been isolated incidents of violence when some of these people break, but actual "revolution"? The way I like to look at this is back in the 2000's when gangsta rap went through a fad phase you had a lot these white kids start dressing and acting like they were gangsta's living the tough life in the hood, from the comfort of their middle-upper middle class suburban neighbourhoods. That's basically where you're at with the broader movement, it's more cosplay than real threat.

Really I think the fundamental problem is a poor societal reaction to a new/young technology, the internet/social media. Like a few centuries ago the infamous witch hunt phase Europe went through was really just an abuse of the printing press. Some German guy wrote a book Malleus Maleficarum about witches: how they live, and how to root out and prosecute them (and where there's one there's always more!), that was immediately denounced by the academics and clergy class of the day as nonsense, but it hit the printing presses and became an international best seller throughout Europe, starting 200+ years of brutal "witch hunts". I think that's kind of what we're looking at now, only it's a good bit more restrained and limited more to the fringes of society.

Reactions: F A N

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. With Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast nearing the end and having listened to it the whole way, the difference in quality of life, indignities, pain & suffering, etc, between people who actually descended into violent revolution and people in North America today is just immense. There will be and have been isolated incidents of violence when some of these people break, but actual "revolution"? The way I like to look at this is back in the 2000's when gangsta rap went through a fad phase you had a lot these white kids start dressing and acting like they were gangsta's living the tough life in the hood, from the comfort of their middle-upper middle class suburban neighbourhoods. That's basically where you're at with the broader movement, it's more cosplay than real threat.
heh, "Kid Rock" growing up affluent but pretending he's one of the 'blue collar' people.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Really I think the fundamental problem is a poor societal reaction to a new/young technology, the internet/social media. Like a few centuries ago the infamous witch hunt phase Europe went through was really just an abuse of the printing press. Some German guy wrote a book Malleus Maleficarum about witches: how they live, and how to root out and prosecute them (and where there's one there's always more!), that was immediately denounced by the academics and clergy class of the day as nonsense, but it hit the printing presses and became an international best seller throughout Europe, starting 200+ years of brutal "witch hunts". I think that's kind of what we're looking at now, only it's a good bit more restrained and limited more to the fringes of society.

Yeah, I might be off a few decades but I think it will happen. The planet is evolving poorly to handle overpopulation issues, and the wage gap is widening, leading to a more competitive real estate market where young folks such as myself are having trouble even buying apartments. This market has been mischaracterized as a "bubble", but unfortunately it's the new reality. In the 60s you could buy a detached home on a bricklayer's salary. Today you are looking at maybe an apartment, if you get lucky. I think that has a big thing to do with societal unrest right now, as with COVID restrictions, all we are really doing is living to work and with not much else to do, life is very unfulfilling. I'm 100% butchering this, but it's the "bread" theory. I think it was Peter Kropotkin, if you have enough food on the table and entertainment, you can placate the masses. COVID has put a big halt to that. Hell, 2 weeks ago we couldn't go to the gym, but we could go to the mall. Basically, if you aren't contributing to the capitalist system right now, the government says you can go to hell as far as they're concerned. We are basically slaves to the system. I think that's why people are so upset, and they are right to be. They are just completely oblivious of where the real blame lies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad