OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
These people are absolute human shit. A perfect storm of abject stupidity, ignorance, and just being all around terrible human beings.

Yeah as a history enthusiast some of it really grinds my gears, from always comparing things to Nazi Germany to a belief in their perfect mighty immune system (ex: Joe Rogan). For the latter the vast majority of people living today have grown up in the era of modern medicine and the impact rampant disease used to have on society has left our collective consciousness, and it becomes just plain ignorance seeing people rebel against these life saving miracles. Ironically, the human stupidity has always been there as the first anti-vax movement started with the very first vaccine curing freakin small pox.

You can really go in depth with this stuff for a nice little bite size video that covers everything above (minus Nazi's) these guys do good accessible history videos:

And the mNRA technology is really the new miracle breakthrough in humanities fight against disease. First conceived in the 60's, the breakthrough came from 40 years of hard labour from Hungarian biochemist Katalin Kariko just in time to give us effective vaccines against Covid-19, and now they're moving on to rolling out working vaccines for diseases like AIDS and malaria. But 'my body my choice' I guess... not sure if it's a comfort or a discomfort knowing those people have always been around.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If people don’t like masks and passports, then they can go somewhere else.

Maybe Afghanistan.

Try talking to the Taliban about your freedoms.

People are f***ing ridiculous.

We live in such a privileged society and yet people still act like selfish children.

Reactions: bh53 and elitepete

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Seeing all this shit today just makes me sad. I don’t even know what to say about it all, to be honest.

Sometimes it just feels like the past couple of years have shown us that our civilization hasn’t come as far as we’d like to think.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seeing all this shit today just makes me sad. I don’t even know what to say about it all, to be honest.

Sometimes it just feels like the past couple of years have shown us that our civilization hasn’t come as far as we’d like to think.

I'd somewhere in the distant past when caveman invented the first spear some of his fellows were like 'pointy end won't stay on, we stay with keep rocks and sticks separate to defend lions'.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Dude its like a fringe small minority of people. The fact that such a high number of people in BC are vaccinated should actually tell us how far we indeed have gone

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Hence I won’t cry a river when unvaccinated people get infected, these people want to f*** around and find out…

Let them, I’m sure covid had a special place in their hearts.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hence I won’t cry a river when unvaccinated people get infected, these people want to f*** around and find out…

My problem with this is because they are allowed to be unvaccinated they are more likely to get covid and pass it on to vulnerable or older people who were doubly vaccinated. That aint right. Those vulnerable and older people have their right to life jeopardized by these clowns complaining about their personal freedoms when in reality they are DIRECTLY blocking the freedoms of vulnerable and older people

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

In a vacuum, I would be totally ok with just letting these idiots continue to off themselves and then handing them a group Darwin Award.

Problem is the people mixed into that group who can't get vaccinated. And the fact that these fools will crash our health care system while in the process of offing themselves.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My problem with this is because they are allowed to be unvaccinated they are more likely to get covid and pass it on to vulnerable or older people who were doubly vaccinated. That aint right. Those vulnerable and older people have their right to life jeopardized by these clowns complaining about their personal freedoms when in reality they are DIRECTLY blocking the freedoms of vulnerable and older people

Their selfish and entitlement attitude piss me off.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If someone cannot get vaccinated due to medical issues, it's one thing.

But to me, those that consciously choose not to get vaccinated should not be prioritized if they get sick with COVID over those that have been vaccinated and require medical attention.

They are at the bottom of the pile.

If they don't like it, start a medical facility of those entirely unvaccinated.

My dad's prostate cancer surgery was delayed several times because of all this bullshit. Thankfully he finally got in but there are still many others waiting for surgeries they need but the medical staff is completely overwhelmed by the unvaccinated.

It's f***ing ridiculous.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Dude its like a fringe small minority of people. The fact that 90% + of people in BC are vaccinated should actually tell us how far we indeed have gone

I'm not just referring to this protest. The list of events that have me questioning how civilized we all are is one that I can't really dive into here - this is just the latest weight on the pile. I never like seeing crap like this.

I can't / won't wish ill on anyone. I don't want anyone to suffer and die. And if someone chooses not to make the vaccination choice with their body, that's their choice. But they're also making the choice to lose out on certain privileges. The law of the land rules. So to go and protest at hospitals, hurl abuse at health workers who are already facing high burnout, to hurl both verbal and physical abuse at them...it's just depressing. I mean - of all the horrible things that have happened in recent memory, this is the thing that gets these people "mad as hell and unable to take it anymore"? Just ugh.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don’t know man, while I don’t wish death on anyone I hope someone like Joe Rogan gets really sick. Not for justice or anything like that, but maybe it will scare some people and make them see the bigger picture.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We're in a very precarious point in time. To me, this has been decades in the making, where you have had all sorts of fringe radical groups, many of them legitimate racists, xenophobic and homophobic individuals that are now banding together under what they perceive to be a legitimate cause. They may be the 10-15% but that is still a sizeable chunk that can cause serious harm in the future, as they will feel like they have nothing to lose.

On a sidenote, I think it's a shame that our mental health facilities are so underfunded. I think COVID19's long lasting impact will be the mental trauma and harm the pandemic has caused to some. Many have lost their jobs, friends and family, and watching the idiots parade around the place will surely add to that trauma.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Usually I would stand up for people's right to associate and protest. Even if I don't agree with what they are saying. But I draw the line when what they are protesting will put others in harm. People that refuse to get vaccinated should have to pay for covid related medical costs in their entirety.

I could be wrong here, but the majority of these people aren't even "anti-vaxxers". I believe true anti-vaxxers are a small group of people that are ignorant of chemistry, and anything that sounds like a chemical is automatically bad for you, natural is always best, and dosages don't matter. This other group is the same group that has refused to do anything no matter how insignificant this entire pandemic because of "freedoms". Won't wear a mask because my freedoms. "I don't care if it will help the cases down so we don't have lockdown( those were against my freedoms too)". I haven't heard a peep from these people about other vaccines, but only care about this one because something something something pandemic something something something turning the frogs gay something something something 5g.

I don't know how some people that freedom doesn't mean we can do anything we want, and that laws and public safety measures are in place for a reason. I can't build a house anyway I want because of fire codes. I can't drink and drive. I can't distribute untreated water to people because of the risk of waterborne illnesses and contamination. We have vaccines for a reason.

End of rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

unfortunately, their unvaccinated kids go to the same schools are the rest of our unvaccinated kids

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Usually I would stand up for people's right to associate and protest. Even if I don't agree with what they are saying. But I draw the line when what they are protesting will put others in harm. People that refuse to get vaccinated should have to pay for covid related medical costs in their entirety.

I could be wrong here, but the majority of these people aren't even "anti-vaxxers". I believe true anti-vaxxers are a small group of people that are ignorant of chemistry, and anything that sounds like a chemical is automatically bad for you, natural is always best, and dosages don't matter. This group is the same group that has refused to do anything no matter how insignificant this entire pandemic because of "freedoms". Won't wear a mask because my freedoms. "I don't care if it will help the cases down so we don't have lockdown( those were against my freedoms too)". I haven't heard a peep from these people about other vaccines, but only care about this one because something something something pandemic something something something turning the frogs gay something something something 5g.

I don't know how some people that freedom doesn't mean we can do anything we want, and that laws and public safety measures are in place for a reason. I can't build a house anyway I want because of fire codes. I can't drink and drive. I can't distribute untreated water to people because of the risk of waterborne illnesses and contamination. We have vaccines for a reason.

End of rant.

Yeah, there are two groups involved here.

1) The generally left-leaning super-granola 'natural healing' types who don't understand chemistry and think any sort of synthesized chemical is evil and have been anti-vax long before COVID.

2) The right-wing Trump base ignorant white trash 'muh freedoms!' crowd who don't understand the difference between freedom of speech/choice and freedom from consequence and who are paranoid of the government and conspiracies. And don't give a shit about anybody but themselves.

Both are dumb as f*** but the second group is worse.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm not just referring to this protest. The list of events that have me questioning how civilized we all are is one that I can't really dive into here - this is just the latest weight on the pile. I never like seeing crap like this.

i saw this quote this morning: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect…”

feels appropriate given everything i think you're referring to.

this seems to be the source — The travesty of liberalism

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The best thing about the recent events is finding out which Facebook friends to unfriend...I'm pretty much quitting social media. The fringe lunatics took it over.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Yeah, there are two groups involved here.

1) The generally left-leaning super-granola 'natural healing' types who don't understand chemistry and think any sort of synthesized chemical is evil and have been anti-vax long before COVID.

2) The right-wing Trump base ignorant white trash 'muh freedoms!' crowd who don't understand the difference between freedom of speech/choice and freedom from consequence and who are paranoid of the government and conspiracies. And don't give a shit about anybody but themselves.

Both are dumb as f*** but the second group is worse.

Yup definitely worse. The first group although misguided, think not taking the vaccine is healthier. They also most likely followed other public health orders during the pandemic.

The second group is bigger, louder, and more dangerous. They have had big gatherings on everything to do with the pandemic whether it be lockdowns, masks, or vaccines, and putting others at risk in the process. All stemming from conspiracy theories about the great reset by the new world order. They only care about their freedoms, but don't understand that businesses have the freedom to choose their employees, and refuse service to people that are a danger to their employees or customers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup definitely worse. The first group although misguided, think not taking the vaccine is healthier. They also most likely followed other public health orders during the pandemic.

The second group is bigger, louder, and more dangerous. They have had big gatherings on everything to do with the pandemic whether it be lockdowns, masks, or vaccines, and putting others at risk in the process. All stemming from conspiracy theories about the great reset by the new world order. They only care about their freedoms, but don't understand that businesses have the freedom to choose their employees, and refuse service to people that are a danger to their employees or customers.

The arguments from the 2nd group are basically this :

1) Nobody can take away my right to drive a car! I have the right to do whatever I want on the roads and don't need to be sober or have a license!

2) How dare my employer ask me to wear a uniform! And threaten to fire me if I don't! My rights are being taken away!

It's a variation on the long-ongoing problem that most people simply don't understand the difference between freedom of speech and freedom from consequences. 'Freedom of speech' means you can say what you want without fear of being thrown in jail by the government. It doesn't mean your job is protected if you go online and trash your employer and they find out. Likewise, people are free to not get the vaccine if they want. But it doesn't mean it isn't totally legal and right for there to be consequences of that decision.

It's basically a group of ignorant, entitled idiots who think they should be able to act however they want whenever and wherever they want without any consequences, ever. And are absolutely shocked when there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese