OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
they’re just white supremacists, like literal organized white supremacists

i don’t get why anyone is taking anything they aay about trucking or vaccines or border crossing regulations seriously

I am a trucker among the 90% vaccinated and do not support what is a group that are simply against anything government for any reasons its not adding anything to address real issues truckers face .
The defacing disrespecting fox and the unknown soldiers tomb is beyond anything anyone claiming to support freedom should ever do or be tolerated it speaks volumes for the intelligence of that protest .
Disgusting.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I am a trucker among the 90% vaccinated and do not support what is a group that are simply against anything government for any reasons its not adding anything to address real issues truckers face .
The defacing disrespecting fox and the unknown soldiers tomb is beyond anything anyone claiming to support freedom should ever do or be tolerated it speaks volumes for the intelligence of that protest .
Disgusting.
It’s not just that mob who are harressing those at the bottom of our society (soup kitchens feeding as best they can the homeless), an equally disgusting act who are the 10% unvaccinated truckers but right wing wing nuts who joined them.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It’s not just that mob who are harressing those at the bottom of our society (soup kitchens feeding as best they can the homeless), an equally disgusting act who are the 10% unvaccinated truckers but right wing wing nuts who joined them.

Some right wing nuts who also found lots of money to make an idiotic political issue out of it they should all be ashamed.

Reactions: Hit the post

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
They have been a step behind. Remember when they were trying to achieve herd immunity while their neighbors were locking down and recommending face masks?
Step behind or step ahead. Are few countries eager to open up and say live with C19 instead? Back to the vaccines for ages 5-11 topic, the data is showing the rate is very low along to that age group, so it makes sense.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Step behind or step ahead. Are few countries eager to open up and say live with C19 instead? Back to the vaccines for ages 5-11 topic, the data is showing the rate is very low along to that age group, so it makes sense.

The problem with "live with C19" is that we still don't know what that means. As long as it is sufficiently out there, it could just keep mutating, and we could be dealing with new variants forever. One day a new variant might come along that completely evades vaccines and is far deadlier than what we've seen so far. People were saying "live with it" from the beginning, but that strain of the virus is basically already gone. What we're dealing with now is a different thing than what we were dealing with in March '20. Hard to just "live with" something that is constantly evolving and changing. We have to evolve and change too - but some of us just aren't willing to do that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I might be off a few decades but I think it will happen. The planet is evolving poorly to handle overpopulation issues, and the wage gap is widening, leading to a more competitive real estate market where young folks such as myself are having trouble even buying apartments. This market has been mischaracterized as a "bubble", but unfortunately it's the new reality. In the 60s you could buy a detached home on a bricklayer's salary. Today you are looking at maybe an apartment, if you get lucky. I think that has a big thing to do with societal unrest right now, as with COVID restrictions, all we are really doing is living to work and with not much else to do, life is very unfulfilling. I'm 100% butchering this, but it's the "bread" theory. I think it was Peter Kropotkin, if you have enough food on the table and entertainment, you can placate the masses. COVID has put a big halt to that. Hell, 2 weeks ago we couldn't go to the gym, but we could go to the mall. Basically, if you aren't contributing to the capitalist system right now, the government says you can go to hell as far as they're concerned. We are basically slaves to the system. I think that's why people are so upset, and they are right to be. They are just completely oblivious of where the real blame lies.

From what I understand a few decades down the line I think in general those of us in first world nations will mostly be fine, but there are massive populations in developing nations living on coast lines and/or with delicate eco systems for food productions that's going to turn into a nightmare.

While there are a lot of problems in how society is structured I would keep a perspective during the current covid climate that in NA at least most mandates are issued at the provincial/state level and they're not going to be permanent, just need to hit that endemic status. Point is there isn't some greater motivation in play like these truck convoy'ers think, it's all just pretty chaotic.

Also my own observation, as someone who's not a historian but has a pretty good grasp of it through personal interest and consumption (getting back into history stuff has kind of replaced hockey for me thanks to Benning), I find the general North American zeitgeist/culture world view attitude is set very specifically to the perspective of the world as experienced by baby boomers. We're the good guys who beat the bad Nazi/Commie bad guys, America is the global super power, the right and proper days were when a brick layer could buy his own home, etc etc. People's opinions on events are heavily influenced by WWII which is why they always go back to it and you have Godwin's law, but people don't really have a grasp of the influences on society prior to it and that helped lead to it. Also for the home part present society should be able to do much better with housing but the everyone a home owner thing was basically only a reality specific to North America in the post war 50's-70's. It was a bubble that's not coming back, especially with increasing populations and climate change. The 'everyone owns a home suburbia' is terrible for our CO2 emissions, a better way forward would be too look at the innovations smaller European countries with much great population densities are making.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
From what I understand a few decades down the line I think in general those of us in first world nations will mostly be fine, but there are massive populations in developing nations living on coast lines and/or with delicate eco systems for food productions that's going to turn into a nightmare.

While there are a lot of problems in how society is structured I would keep a perspective during the current covid climate that in NA at least most mandates are issued at the provincial/state level and they're not going to be permanent, just need to hit that endemic status. Point is there isn't some greater motivation in play like these truck convoy'ers think, it's all just pretty chaotic.

Also my own observation, as someone who's not a historian but has a pretty good grasp of it through personal interest and consumption (getting back into history stuff has kind of replaced hockey for me thanks to Benning), I find the general North American zeitgeist/culture world view attitude is set very specifically to the perspective of the world as experienced by baby boomers. We're the good guys who beat the bad Nazi/Commie bad guys, America is the global super power, the right and proper days were when a brick layer could buy his own home, etc etc. People's opinions on events are heavily influenced by WWII which is why they always go back to it and you have Godwin's law, but people don't really have a grasp of the influences on society prior to it and that helped lead to it. Also for the home part present society should be able to do much better with housing but the everyone a home owner thing was basically only a reality specific to North America in the post war 50's-70's. It was a bubble that's not coming back, especially with increasing populations and climate change. The 'everyone owns a home suburbia' is terrible for our CO2 emissions, a better way forward would be too look at the innovations smaller European countries with much great population densities are making.
I'm kind of glad, I'll be either dead or too old *that far down the line* to care. I feel for those 'starting out' just now.

Course, I suspect if you check throughout history, you'll get your share of 'gloom & doom' stuff.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
So dont mix up those who are anti science with those who are pro selfish. Got it
What science? If you understand science, you will not say this.
P.S. Not long ago, Dr. told you smoking was fine, drinking crude oil could cure illness, and there was a thing called aether

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The problem with "live with C19" is that we still don't know what that means. As long as it is sufficiently out there, it could just keep mutating, and we could be dealing with new variants forever. One day a new variant might come along that completely evades vaccines and is far deadlier than what we've seen so far. People were saying "live with it" from the beginning, but that strain of the virus is basically already gone. What we're dealing with now is a different thing than what we were dealing with in March '20. Hard to just "live with" something that is constantly evolving and changing. We have to evolve and change too - but some of us just aren't willing to do that.
Actually, it is more or less the same if you check the death rate in BC. Of cause, it is a different story if you look at the cases number only.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Those against vaccines are against the science behind vaccine development. A science that all nations have regarded as fundamentally necessary in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic. From the most right wing regimes to left wing and independent governments around the world have concluded based on scientists findings that vaccines are good for people to stop/slow/minimize the damage of the virus. So yes, anti science to the core, unless you believe the Cuban and US governments (for example) are working together as some wild conspiracy?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Actually, it is more or less the same if you check the death rate in BC. Of cause, it is a different story if you look at the cases number only.

They're not the same. Some of the resulting statistics being the same is not the same thing as the virus being the same. There are many differences in the context to consider.

And it doesn't change the fact that tomorrow the virus could mutate into something that completely evades our current vaccines and causes a much higher death rate.

Less spread = less chances for mutation.

Reactions: bbud and racerjoe

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Didn't know Terry, but born and raised in Poco. I too have violence in my heart, that's the reaction that violent actions beget. It's important to try and rise above that and be better. That said, I think the whole of NA is headed towards violent revolution. Seeing what had happened in the States, I thought we were 5-10 years away from this in Canada...but not this close. Everyone is frustrated, and I am too. I want a change for the better as well as they do, but when you are not even understanding where the cancer in society lies, you are becoming the cancer yourself. We'll tear each other apart and the guilty parties will laugh safely in security as we do so if we keep on this trajectory. I hate to be a doomer, but that's the position we have ourselves in. It's great to see people this upset, but what they are doing is only pushing us further into the darkness.
I agree with much of that. I see the US at least descending into a type of civil war, similar to The Troubles in the UK. I wrote about that about a year ago. Last night on Bill Maher a foreign policy expert said the same thing.

I wrote a memoir about Terry in 2006 that was published on Vancouver Island and in your area, the Tri-Cities area. Unfortunately though the link no longer exists and all I have is a copy of it in the Comox Valley Record.

But I just remembered something.

OT: Terry Fox - The Greatest Inspiration In Human History (please read)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
P.S. Not long ago, Dr. told you smoking was fine, drinking crude oil could cure illness, and there was a thing called aether

Yes, science is all about continuously updating your opinions with new data, every day. It isn't about clinging to your beliefs regardless of the evidence and never being willing to changing your mind.

Reactions: racerjoe and Red

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
On these types of things I prefer to look at it as trust in the overwhelming consensus of the people with the background, expertise, and who actually work in the field.
That is the problem. Do you know who is Dr. Robert Malone MD?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Yes, science is all about continuously updating your opinions with new data, every day. It isn't about clinging to your beliefs regardless of the evidence and never being willing to changing your mind.
Ya, so???

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm kind of glad, I'll be either dead or too old *that far down the line* to care. I feel for those 'starting out' just now.

Course, I suspect if you check throughout history, you'll get your share of 'gloom & doom' stuff.

Yes when you start looking at the collapse of cultures and empires then local climate shifts/environmental changes and disease are a common recurring factor. Like there's long been a fascination with the question 'what caused the collapse of the Roman Empire', as there are a multitude of reasons, but all the new evidence being generated by modern science point overwhelmingly to pandemic and climate change.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Those against vaccines are against the science behind vaccine development. A science that all nations have regarded as fundamentally necessary in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic. From the most right wing regimes to left wing and independent governments around the world have concluded based on scientists findings that vaccines are good for people to stop/slow/minimize the damage of the virus. So yes, anti science to the core, unless you believe the Cuban and US governments (for example) are working together as some wild conspiracy?
I am not anti-vaxx, but the C19 vaxx is not your smallpox vaccine. First of all, C19 vaxx will not stop or slow C19 (look at NHL). That is why I said we need to learn to live with C19 now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad