OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happen eventually. I meet someone in Toronto doing the Uber share ride. Ended up doing a lot more than I expected with a complete stranger that was only suppose to be a 15 minute shared ride.

Its an iffy idea. Due to risk factors. When travelling you are pretty vulnerable with passport and everything on hand. Prime opportunity for a random "share" to rob you blind of your identity. The cite is a scam. At source they are scamming people for ID, double, triple billing them, accessing their banking info.

That said I can't understand how some of these things work at all. I would never rent out my house to uberB&B or whatever its called. Even my house insurer has mentioned some nightmares about this and an industry that advises against it. Absolutely you are not insured for damage or loss of items if you book your place out. Yet people do these things all the time.

To me its not worth the small amount of money you make or save. The risks are too great.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone know the reason for a big traffic stop this morning around 8-9 a.m. on Fox Drive eastbound? There were at least six officers with several vehicles stopped. It wasn't a speed trap. My guess is distracted driving. If so, yay. It stopped all east-bound traffic for a some time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Shaw was on the fritz tonight just before midnight and all the channels out for about half an hour. This being as bad as it was when I was running Bell expressvu off their little Sat dish. Signals would go out if it rained or snowed. I wonder how much weather is impacting some of these Streaming cable services. Seems weather related more often than not when the channels go out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only issue I had with shaw was a few years back when my whole area was down due to someone hitting the optic line. Must be lucky I guess.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So whatever new adds or features they've added is really messing with my work's "admin settings" this is very difficult to deal with.

"
ERROR

Access Denied

• Access Denied by security policy
The security policy for your network prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your administrator if you feel this is incorrect. "

This Specially.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
See the NFL came out with an anthem policy. You no longer have to come out, but if you do you must stand.

I don't mind it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are they still planning on assessing a 15 yard penalty against a team of players don’t stand?
Don't know. Not sure what that does anyway. Not sure what the penalty really is going to be to be honest. I'd assume fines/suspensions. Then again the PA was never consulted on this, so things could get interesting.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You will stand for our national jingle or go to your room young man!

What a screwed up country.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You will stand for our national jingle or go to your room young man!

What a screwed up country.
I think it's screwed up that all of a sudden after many years that we have to tell people to stand for something that we've been doing our whole lives.

Reactions: Dorian2

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I think it's screwed up that all of a sudden after many years that we have to tell people to stand for something that we've been doing our whole lives.

I believe that is a gross oversimplification of the issue. to be fair I probably am guilty of the same with my comment! :)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I believe that is a gross oversimplification of the issue. to be fair I probably am guilty of the same with my comment! :)
I don't get the whole thing. I mean I'd have some respect for these guys if they actually did something off the field, but they don't.

Not like Colin has much on his plate these days, why isn't he protesting and spreading the good word?

Just seems childish. These guys can actually do something about it, but they really don't. I do find it odd that no other sport in North America has this issue either.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I don't get the whole thing. I mean I'd have some respect for these guys if they actually did something off the field, but they don't.

Not like Colin has much on his plate these days, why isn't he protesting and spreading the good word?

Just seems childish. These guys can actually do something about it, but they really don't. I do find it odd that no other sport in North America has this issue either.

Yeah, I mean I get that. I don't understand lots of things that people are passionate about - crocheting, being a Flames fan, Superhero movies etc - but I can respect their right to be passionate about it in whatever way they see fit so long as it is not harming me or others. Like, really, it's a sing song about how great their country is and didn't even become a part of the NFL until 1990 or something right? Is that really something that the NFL needs to go to war over? I guess they have answered that. It seems silly to me, in the same way that it seems silly to you that these guys think it's important to protest in this specific way over something that they are passionate about. It's going to be interested to see what the response will be from players, teams, and the NFLPA. At least one owner has already said he will pay the fines on behalf of the players should they kneel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I mean I get that. I don't understand lots of things that people are passionate about - crocheting, being a Flames fan, Superhero movies etc - but I can respect their right to be passionate about it in whatever way they see fit so long as it is not harming me or others. Like, really, it's a sing song about how great their country is and didn't even become a part of the NFL until 1990 or something right? Is that really something that the NFL needs to go to war over? I guess they have answered that. It seems silly to me, in the same way that it seems silly to you that these guys think it's important to protest in this specific way over something that they are passionate about. It's going to be interested to see what the response will be from players, teams, and the NFLPA. At least one owner has already said he will pay the fines on behalf of the players should they kneel.
League was getting far too much negative media on it. Ratings dropped, so now they are seeing if this will help.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
League was getting far too much negative media on it. Ratings dropped, so now they are seeing if this will help.

I guess. Lump that in with domestic abuse issues and people cutting cable and I think the bleeding is going to continue no matter what the NFL tries.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its Ok to revisit those things and see where they fit. National jingoism is more questioned today. That's a very positive thing depending on ones perspective. That this became an issue in Football is interesting as the gridiron has often been seen as a metaphor of a battlefield, of war. Its the most war like frontline sport there is. So that this debate is occurring relative to that sport specifically is interesting serendipity.

lets be honest too. How many people are thankful when both teams in a NHL game are Canadian and only one anthem is played? I would prefer zero.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
But they are doing something. Just not what you want them to do I guess?

And wasn't the idea to kneel actually pitched to Kaepernick from a guy who had served in the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad