OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kia Nurse is lighting up the WNBA.
Through four games this season, Nurse, despite starting on the bench each game, averages the second most minutes per game on the team (31.0), the second most points (19.0) and third-most assists (2.5).

Looks like they are trying to ease her into the league, but seems like she'll be a starter anyday now.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Odd story this week in Montreal Gazette. Its about kids playing video games too much (not getting exercise yada yada) Oddly ex=Oiler Ales Hemsky is mentioned as exhibit A as a youth/player who "all he did was play video games morning to night"

Video games a growing concern for Canadiens' top scout Trevor Timmins

"I think it’s been an issue for years and years,” Timmins added. “Going way back, one of our players, Ales Hemsky, the year he was drafted I remember him sitting down, he was slunched in the chair and he didn’t look like an athlete at all. We asked him what he did, he says he plays video games all day, all night. "

heh. I wasn't a Hemsky fan but just odd to single out a player like that.

It does kind of make me wonder though how little due diligence has typically gone on in the past, and with this org. I would dig a lot deeper at draft combine and look at a lot of different off ice factors as well. A lot more goes into what a player will look like and what kind of career they will have than just how well they can play the game. Past alumni, for instance, Hemsky, Gagner, had all the tools and some filthy skill and hands but rarely really put it together like they could. I think what is missing sometimes is the desire to eat, sleep, live hockey. Its what separates the greats from those that usually disappoint.

As this org has drafted so many duds and disappointments its just food for thought on what they actually look at. With the Oilers I always think they feel like they are better at assessing prospect resolve than they actually are.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with your theory is Hemsky who had issues with video games was still by far the smartest pick we could've made who actually had results. So if we would've passed on him we could've ended up with Chuck Kobasew or Igor Knyazev.

Even Gagner, we were taking center or d. Who do we take other than Gagner? Ellerby, Couture, Hamill, Sutter? Maybe we would've gotten lucky and taking Couture, odds not though

And for quite a few years under Stu they were looking for character guys. Hence why we ended up taking so many plugs that had good off ice work ethic, but no real skill that would get them to the show.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The problem with your theory is Hemsky who had issues with video games was still by far the smartest pick we could've made who actually had results. So if we would've passed on him we could've ended up with Chuck Kobasew or Igor Knyazev.

Even Gagner, we were taking center or d. Who do we take other than Gagner? Ellerby, Couture, Hamill, Sutter? Maybe we would've gotten lucky and taking Couture, odds not though

And for quite a few years under Stu they were looking for character guys. Hence why we ended up taking so many plugs that had good off ice work ethic, but no real skill that would get them to the show.

I just mentioned Gagner to be fair, as I liked that player. So that I wasn't trying to be biased and just looking at it in general terms and not specifically those drafts albeit your point is solid.

I do agree that the worst thing is when a team has some kind of insane dislike of a player (Shane Doan) and goes out and picks a Steve Kelly instead because they like that kid.

So its fair comment that if central scouting or teams look at more information the tendency is possibly to make worse picks because the average org, and bad ones don't know how to filter information and evaluate. So just stick to evaluating how the kid plays hockey, period, is prudent for most orgs.

Yet there are teams in the NHL, and in all of pro sports that consistently do a better job of drafting and attaining talent than most clubs. So that even in fixed cap times there never really is actual parity. The good orgs rise to the top and tend to stay there.

One thing that's really interesting is how McPhee built both teams that in the SC final. A bit of coincidence, but clearly a better Manager than the average bear.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yet there are teams in the NHL, and in all of pro sports that consistently do a better job of drafting and attaining talent than most clubs. So that even in fixed cap times there never really is actual parity. The good orgs rise to the top and tend to stay there.

One thing that's really interesting is how McPhee built both teams that in the SC final. A bit of coincidence, but clearly a better Manager than the average bear.
WSH was never afraid to take skilled players or Russians. They've had their share of busts as well, but when teams were passing on Tarasenko and Kuznetsov in the same draft STL and WSH weren't afraid and took that talent.

I also wonder how many more scouts WSH has overseas. They seem to draft every nationality.

Development is the other key. WSH has a lot of guys that spent year developing elsewhere before playing for them and if they weren't ready they weren't afraid to sit them or send them back to the minors.

Things do look better here now, but for years we wasting picks on guys like Moroz, Musil, Ewanyk because they were character guys. We also had the Bigos and Abney's of the world as well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Odd story this week in Montreal Gazette. Its about kids playing video games too much (not getting exercise yada yada) Oddly ex=Oiler Ales Hemsky is mentioned as exhibit A as a youth/player who "all he did was play video games morning to night"

Video games a growing concern for Canadiens' top scout Trevor Timmins

"I think it’s been an issue for years and years,” Timmins added. “Going way back, one of our players, Ales Hemsky, the year he was drafted I remember him sitting down, he was slunched in the chair and he didn’t look like an athlete at all. We asked him what he did, he says he plays video games all day, all night. "

heh. I wasn't a Hemsky fan but just odd to single out a player like that.

It does kind of make me wonder though how little due diligence has typically gone on in the past, and with this org. I would dig a lot deeper at draft combine and look at a lot of different off ice factors as well. A lot more goes into what a player will look like and what kind of career they will have than just how well they can play the game. Past alumni, for instance, Hemsky, Gagner, had all the tools and some filthy skill and hands but rarely really put it together like they could. I think what is missing sometimes is the desire to eat, sleep, live hockey. Its what separates the greats from those that usually disappoint.

As this org has drafted so many duds and disappointments its just food for thought on what they actually look at. With the Oilers I always think they feel like they are better at assessing prospect resolve than they actually are.

Definitely something teams are picking up on.

Teams were asking prospects about Fortnite(the most popular video game right now) at the Draft Combine this year and it sounds like lots of the prospects were playing it.

It'll be interesting to see how teams handle it going forward. Kids are playing a lot more video games these days and I'm sure there's a bunch of old school guys in hockey organizations that don't really understand them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Teams were asking prospects about Fortnite(the most popular video game right now) at the Draft Combine this year and it sounds like lots of the prospects were playing it.

It'll be interesting to see how teams handle it going forward. Kids are playing a lot more video games these days and I'm sure there's a bunch of old school guys in hockey organizations that don't really understand them.
There have been vets for quite some time that are talking about how it use to be just cards and beer, and now it's Ipads, video games and weird latte drinks.

I just don't know how you can really pass on a guy even if he says he is a video game addict. Worse case scenario you wean him off like you would a drug addict. Break one hand, if that doesn't work break both.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Yep. One of the funny things about the article is you just know that given that a manager has outed this tendency to "red flag" video games in combine and interviews that agents will just instruct prospects what to say or how to answer. lol if we're reading this stuff for sure astute agents are. From that perspective its silly that Timmons would actually openly state this.

My own perspective is that video games can be beneficial to improve cognitive abilities, dexterity, coordination, but like everything to a reasonable extent. If it starts eating into hours better spent on the ice performing and practicing actual hockey then of course it becomes an impediment.

To that degree the question "do you play video games" and red flagging the answer is stupid. For one what kid doesn't play video games. Second that isn't the issue. Its addiction and dependency. Most people that play I imagine are not addicted.

I do agree with you that this is also a generational disconnect. With most managers being of an age where they would have a negative parental view of video games and simply see them as bad, all bad...;)

The reality being that kids stealing on GTA is preferable to the real thing, heh. jk there actually have been studies on how immersion in violence or crime in video games can pre-empt participation in actual destructive activities. With the thinking being that some inate appetite for misadventure now gets filled through the video game challenges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There have been vets for quite some time that are talking about how it use to be just cards and beer, and now it's Ipads, video games and weird latte drinks.

I just don't know how you can really pass on a guy even if he says he is a video game addict. Worse case scenario you wean him off like you would a drug addict. Break one hand, if that doesn't work break both.

That's going to be the interesting thing to watch.

There's probably lots of old guys in organizations that think boozing and womanizing into the wee hours of the night is normal, but playing video games is a bad thing.

The story about Laine and Ehlers going to quite the lengths to play video games should be enough to show people that it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's going to be the interesting thing to watch.

There's probably lots of old guys in organizations that think boozing and womanizing into the wee hours of the night is normal, but playing video games is a bad thing.

The story about Laine and Ehlers going to quite the lengths to play video games should be enough to show people that it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Really just the evolution of kids and if the old people want to complain they can blame themselves.

People complain that kids are stuck on video games and don't get out and be active enough today. Well it's the parents fault. So many parents are over protective now. Kids aren't allowed to get on their bikes and just f*** off where ever they want like I was able to do. Or go to the nearest park/field and have fun.

Start restricting kids to the house and this is what happens. Gone are the days where mom and dad lock you out of the house on a nice Saturday in the summer.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
God, the NBA is predictable.

Must suck to be a fan of 28 of the teams in the league.

Well, 29 pretty soon.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I've been thinking how far the Raptors are from contending. Cleveland totally dominates them in a sweep and Golden State dominates Cleveland and may sweep them. Imagine the Raptors against GS.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I've been thinking how far the Raptors are from contending. Cleveland totally dominates them in a sweep and Golden State dominates Cleveland and may sweep them. Imagine the Raptors against GS.

The Leafs are the only team in Toronto that has any chance at anything, which is saying a lot. Jays and Raptors will never get past their gatekeepers.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Anthony Bourdain has left us. RIP.

CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 - CNN

He, along with Michael Palin was my favorite travel personality on TV. Although Bourdain was primarily about food, and it was his area of expertise his philosophy, appreciation of the world, wonder, travel, was amazing. He transcended the medium and reached out to people on a personal level. He will certainly be missed.

I'll say a bit more. His nonstop tendency to allow the human part of him to be viewed, to be more than a host, and to share everything in a way that was so visible was such a strong point for him. You saw his mortal strengths, struggles, tendencies on every episode. It seems as if all the people on his show also kind of understood what a special honesty he had on camera or in life. Hoping theres some more journeys for you Anthony.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
How can the NBA even be perceived as interesting? More than any other team sport its so incredibly subject to what 5 players are like. You could have 3-5 great players and nobody touches you for the playing life of those players. Its really always been that way. Whether its Celtics, LakersX3, Bulls, Warriors, Spurs. Theres hardly any deviation in who wins. Due to how a basketball team is configured, 5 players, and how much toi those guys have its almost all about a handful of players dominating.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Site is logging me out everytime. I guess clicking the "stay logged in" button is window dressing? Just ran into this problem though the moment a "critical update" (forced eventually after saying no to it forever) of Window 10 ended up doing massive changes on Microsoft Edge many of which took me considerable time to readjust things back to where I had them. f*** I hate updates. Naturally it must have f***ed with my privacy settings as well.

Anybody else experience this problem lately?

Its even logging out sometimes if I go from one hfboard to another. Or to check my alerts, lol.

Anybody else like Microsoft continually screwing with things that worked well enough before?

Everytime they do this it costs me lost time figuring out the latest layouts and where things are.

I'll probably be logged out again by the time anybody responds. This is the only site I'm having this difficulty with.

Also the site is having glitches, avatars, pictures often not showing up, often can't reply to anything, even alerts have been down. People have responded to posts where I'm not seeing the alert of it.

Haggard

High and Wide
Aug 15, 2005
Edmonton
Change your bookmark from "http" to Https" and it should keep you logged in. I was having the same problem and updating the bookmark seemed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->