OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
On the other hand they're the primary victims of a FPTP system. Plenty of Liberal votes are essentially just strategic NDP votes.

Maybe, but it annoys me how Singh is talking like he won the damn election lol.

The real problem is that none of these parties are particularly appealing. Conservative economic policy is the safest but they need to become more centrist on other social issues. The Libs are kind of the king of trying to play both sides but damn if they don’t screw everyone west of Ontario. The NDP has some appealing social policies but does anybody really trust them to run the country with their inexperience and spending plan? The Bloc shouldn’t even exist as a federal party, and the Greens need to be more than just a niche party.

Honestly BC screwed the rest of the country with how they voted tonight lol. Either give the Libs the majority or vote Conservative and make it real damn close. The Libs being forced to compromise with the NDP is a nightmare.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe, but it annoys me how Singh is talking like he won the damn election lol.

The real problem is that none of these parties are particularly appealing. Conservative economic policy is the safest but they need to become more centrist on other social issues. The Libs are kind of the king of trying to play both sides but damn if they don’t screw everyone west of Ontario. The NDP has some appealing social policies but does anybody really trust them to run the country with their inexperience and spending plan? The Bloc shouldn’t even exist as a federal party, and the Greens need to be more than just a niche party.

Honestly BC screwed the rest of the country with how they voted tonight lol.

Which is entirely predictable.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This Scheer speech is a mess. Does he not remember exactly what Pierre Trudeau did? He LOST then he WON again, lol. Not exactly the best thing to celebrate lol.

The Conservstives need someone with more charisma and who doesn’t give off that creepy stereotypical Conservstive vibe.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
When are we going back to making consumer goods out of wood, glass and textiles?

I don't know. Probably could have made some nuclear plants or wind farms in the last thirty years you've been warned about this coming. It was probably better to cut everyone 400$ checks to buy some votes instead.

Who knows, maybe Trump will start a war. It's about the only way a Green New Deal in the almost-certain-to-be-progressive post-Trump US doesn't completely put a bullet in the head of Alberta oil for all eternity.

Reactions: Pochiro

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Welcome to 6 months of #wexit discussions

I am laughing my ass off at some of the responses on twitter and Facebook.

So many crazy stories

How f*** do you elect a guy who has not lived in Alberta for 10 years to a seat from Alberta?

I may run in the next election and here is my campaign slogan

"Vote for me and I will stay here in the UK"

On a serious note. I already see people creating #wexit funds. I have seen this show before when I actually lived in Alberta. A lot if business guys and politicians made millions getting money off Alberta working class.

Fun fact for you guys. I attended the first organisational meeting for what would become the reform party of Canada at the saxony hotel in Jasper Place in 87. At that meeting one of things agreed upon was the aim was to form a country called Western Canada, formed of BC, Alberta, saskabush and the two territories. Man did that plan change quickly after a few more meetings

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I don't know. Probably could have made some nuclear plants or wind farms in the last thirty years you've been warned about this coming. It was probably better to cut everyone 400$ checks to buy some votes instead.

Who knows, maybe Trump will start a war. It's about the only way a Green New Deal in the almost-certain-to-be-progressive post-Trump US doesn't completely put a bullet in the head of Alberta oil for all eternity.

Until someone comes up with an alternative to plastics, oil isn't going anywhere. It's required to manufacture many of the components used for alternative energy sources to begin with. Not to mention most consumer goods. I don't see anyone prepared to give those up.

I do agree that monies should have been spent on alternative fuels. Alberta should be one of the solar capitals of the world.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

So many crazy stories

How **** do you elect a guy who has not lived in Alberta for 10 years to a sear from Alberta?

On a serious note. I already see people creating #wexit funds. I have seen this show before when I actually lived in Alberta. A lot if business guys and politicians made millions getting money off Alberta working class.

Fun fact for you guys. I attended the first organisational meeting for what would become the reform party of Canada at the saxony hotel in Jasper Place in 87. At that meeting one of things agreed upon was the aim was to form a country called Western Canada, formed of BC, Alberta, saskabush and the two territories. Man did that plan change quickly after a few more meetings

giphy.gif

Reactions: harpoon

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Until someone comes up with an alternative to plastics, oil isn't going anywhere. It's required to manufacture many of the components used for alternative energy sources to begin with. Not to mention most consumer goods. I don't see anyone prepared to give those up.

I do agree that monies should have been spent on alternative fuels. Alberta should be one of the solar capitals of the world.

You're talking about a hurting economy today. What happens in two or three years when the Green New Deal calls for 100% electric power sources and 0% net emissions with our (by far) biggest consumer of Oil? You think Albertan shale can survive that? How does Scheer help you there?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah, yes, it is everyone ELSE who is wrong. Not Albertans and Albertans alone who, once again, can only seem to care about their oil and gas sector (that frankly had no future regardless of who wins this).

I bolded your statement about “diversifying”. Not about who Albertans gravitate to in elections.

People who say that we “should have diversified” haven’t a clue as to how it “should have” happened.

As well I’ve got news for you on the oil and gas front as well. Until you figure out how to make ships, aircraft, and every car on the planet run without oil or gas, and remove hydrocarbons from the manufacturing process of a bazillion products, and figure out how to heat billions of buildings overnight, oil and gas has still has a pretty long future.

We can use what we have responsibly or support countries like Saudi Arabia who treat their women worse than dogs and where religious minorities are killed, or we can pretend we don’t need oil or gas and find the unicorn piss that will replace it overnight.

I don’t GAF what political stripe you are (and I am unaffiliated to any party as they are all run by morons) but the statements of “diversifying when we could have” and “oil and gas has no future” are somewhat clouded by realities.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
You're talking about a hurting economy today. What happens in two or three years when the Green New Deal calls for 100% electric power sources and 0% net emissions with our (by far) biggest consumer of Oil? You think Albertan shale can survive that? How does Scheer help you there?

Who said I like Scheer?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

So many crazy stories

How **** do you elect a guy who has not lived in Alberta for 10 years to a sear from Alberta?

Hard to have sympathy for people who have been unironically rallying behind Brexit and MAGA terminology all year. Such great and successful sociopolitical and economic movements to willingly attach yourself to.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Nuclear energy will not be an option because of
NIMBY and a massive wind farm was built in southern Alberta which barely puts a dent into the energy needs.

Reactions: SK13
Oct 15, 2008
I bolded your statement about “diversifying”. Not about who Albertans gravitate to in elections.

People who say that we “should have diversified” haven’t a clue as to how it “should have” happened.

As well I’ve got news for you on the oil and gas front as well. Until you figure out how to make ships, aircraft, and every car on the planet run without oil or gas, and remove hydrocarbons from the manufacturing process of a bazillion products, and figure out how to heat billions of buildings overnight, oil and gas has still has a pretty long future.

We can use what we have responsibly or support countries like Saudi Arabia who treat their women worse than dogs and where religious minorities are killed, or we can pretend we don’t need oil or gas and find the unicorn piss that will replace it overnight.

I don’t GAF what political stripe you are (and I am unaffiliated to any party as they are all run by morons) but the statements of “diversifying when we could have” and “oil and gas has no future” are somewhat clouded by realities.

This is the kind of backwards thinking that will doom this province to becoming the next Newfoundland. Oil and gas is yesterdays technology. This is something that people here somehow cant seem to grasp, but be assured that it is a reality that you will have to contend with. It is not going to get better in the oil and gas industry. It will only get worse. So you can stick your head in the sand, or if you prefer, up your behind, or you can be open to being proactive about doing something about it, albeit at this late stage in the game.

Oct 15, 2008
Nuclear energy will not be an option because of
NIMBY and a massive wind farm was built in southern Alberta which barely puts a dent into the energy needs.
Then you look for other solutions to the problem. Nobody said it would be easy, but to not even try to deal with it and deny that it is an issue in the first place, is daft, irresponsible and dangerous.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You dont think Alberta should be working on economic diversification? And that people who do have their heads up their asses?

Also, when was it ok to openly talk politics here?
You dont think Alberta should be working on economic diversification? And that people who do have their heads up their asses?

Also, when was it ok to openly talk politics here?

We did try. The NDP figured it out real quick that saying it was a lot more difficult than doing it.

Despite the fact Albertas labor source was strained to the breaking point during the boom years I’m not sure where you would have found the people to work them once you magically “created” them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is the kind of backwards thinking that will doom this province to becoming the next Newfoundland. Oil and gas is yesterdays technology. This is something that people here somehow cant seem to grasp, but be assured that it is a reality that you will have to contend with. It is not going to get better in the oil and gas industry. It will only get worse. So you can stick your head in the sand, or if you prefer, up your behind, or you can be open to being proactive about doing something about it, albeit at this late stage in the game.

I don’t disagree about being proactive but oil and gas still have a long way to go in the global economy and there are decades of requirements for it. That’s a fact you cannot ignore.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We did try. The NDP figured it out real quick that saying it was a lot more difficult than doing it.

Despite the fact Albertas labor source was strained to the breaking point during the boom years I’m not sure where you would have found the people to work them once you magically “created” them.

The real difficult fact is there is no saving Albertan economy. You had thirty plus years to diversify our energy sector with solar, wind and nuclear options. You talk about NIMBY's and the misinformation problem of Nuclear, but now you face the ultimate NIMBY. Neighbours who know they and their children will all die unless they reach for net zero emissions in the near future. Which means they won't be buying and refining as much of our Oil, and they aren't buying enough to make the economy work well as is.

Oct 15, 2008

Alberta did nothing for fourty years of Conservative rule. That’s a fact. But it’s all the NDP’s fault, or Trudeau..... Neither of whom has anything to do with the world price of Oil.

Instead of pointing fingers and being divided, Albertans, Canadians and really all of humanity needs to pull together and work together.

It can be done. It has been done in the past and I believe it can be done in the future and even now but people need to stop being so obtuse and entrenched in ideological backwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad